2020 Toyota 4Runner Differential Front & Rear

You can if you want. I'd probably wait until you had at least 5k on the truck first, though. Just to get some of the break-in material out of the rear axle in particular.

Toyota went to lighter viscosities in the USA, to try to eek out a few extra percent of MPG.

What model and color?

Originally Posted by dave123
Why not 75w90 Amsoil I see no need for 110

+1 - and that's exactly what's in my Tundra, which has the same specification.

75w90 synthetic and call it a day. I run ST Synthetic 75w90 in the front and rear on my older 2nd gen Taco, but they're still very similar to your setup. Mobil 1 75w90 is also popular. AFAIK you do not need a limited slip additive as they use the ABS system for mimicking LSD. Most syns have the additive already in there, but there's no harm. You could use the Amsoil if you expect to be running the snot out of it, but just for daily driving and snow, IMO there's no need to spend that much...

The transfer case does require a different fluid compared to the older years, but there's a recent thread with good information.

I plan on doing my diffs and transfer case around 30,000-50,000 miles. Probably with Amsoil 75w-90 Severe gear in diffs and Toyota 75w in the Transfer case.

I will also do the Transmission pan drop. fluid and filter. Probably with Amsoil Sig. Series low vicosity.

Last edited:
Thicker oil = more work for diffy, if you are NOT running very high temps i.e. pulling a trailer full time, you are fine using the spec'd oil.
if you pick a heavier oil you will lose some mpg.

why not just use a GL5 80w90, the difference in viscosity would be nearly irrelevant
confused2.gif

I just bought Red Line's 75W-85 for mine. Cheaper than Toyota's and is exactly correct.
I'm sure 75w-90 would be fine also. I still have warranty coverage......

It depends upon your useage thicker oil helps with the shock loading and protection with greater loads I use 75W140 in my Toyotas [now my sons] rear differentials I never noticed and MPG differences.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Pay attention if rear diff needs LSD oil/additive...

My LC has clutches in rear one...

Not needed in 2020 models, they do not have a mechanical LSD. It's all ABS controlled "auto LSD."

Ok,
Other than Cost and MPG is there any Negative or Detrimental that can happen?

Ok,
Other than Cost and MPG is there any Negative or Detrimental using heavier weight 110.....140?

Ok,
Other than Cost and MPG is there any Negative or Detrimental using 110....140

Well warranty is one thing. 75w110 or 75w140 are not spec and you would make it VERY easy for the dealership to deny service on your 5 year powertrain warranty.

Back