Honda mower problems

I have an almost 10 year old Troy-Bilt self propelled push mower with the Honda engine on it. Lately it's been giving me a lot of trouble and I need guidance on where to begin with it.

Some things it's been doing:

1)
Going through a LOT more gas than it usually does. Usually one tank does the front AND back yard with half a tank to spare but now a full tank barely finishes the front

2) Rough idle and black smoke, with how it runs you'd think I accidentally put diesel in it or something

3) Spark plug was really fouled and it looked like the electrode had even started to melt a bit

Some things I found while poking around at it:

1)
The air filter was SOAKED in gasoline after the engine stalled out and wouldn't start again even with starter fluid and being choked

2) I replaced the spark plug and now every time I start the engine it shoots a fireball out the exhaust and makes a loud bang

I really want to get this sorted out and be able to save it, I do not want to replace this mower because until lately it's always been super reliable.

I think your needle in the carb is not seating making it flood. When the bowl is full the float should seat the needle. If it doesn't seat gas will continue to run through. Time for a new carb or a cleaning.

Originally Posted by TargaMonteSS
I think your needle in the carb is not seating making it flood. When the bowl is full the float should seat the needle. If it doesn't seat gas will continue to run through. Time for a new carb or a cleaning.

What he said. I had the same symptoms happen to my Briggs engine a year ago. Needle wasn't sealing for some reason. Cleaning didn't fix my problem, replaced the carb and fixed it.

Originally Posted by TargaMonteSS

+1

Whimsey

I'll pull it apart and look at it when I get off work tonight. I suspected it could be something along those lines but I wanted confirmation. Thank you!

I agree. Needle valve in carb. not seating. I had this happen with my GCV160. Pulled and disassenbled carb 2x. Was still having issues and put a new carb. on it.

Change oil also as excess fuel probably made it in the crankcase.

If this has a foam pre-air filter, any chance you may have oiled it on purpose or accidentally? This happened on my Honda mower and attracted dirt creating a super-rich mixture and no end of problem ‘til fixed.

This might go without saying, but change your oil after you remedy the carburetor. Chances are some unburned fuel has made its way past the rings and into the crankcase. Best of luck with the repair!

Choke stuck on? Remove air cleaner visually check the choke. Run with the air cleaner off see if the black smoke and bad idle is resolved.

Problem with the needle valve would usually cause all the gas to run out of the tank through the intake when not running.

Originally Posted by mk378
Choke stuck on? Remove air cleaner visually check the choke.

That was my first thought too. Many Honda mower engines choke only when at full throttle, try backing off the throttle a bit too.

As others have said, this is most likely a carb problem. Have you cleaned it? Here is a video showing how easy it is. You really don't need the ultrasonic cleaner shown, but it is nice if you have one! Otherwise spray carb cleaner and a single copper wire strand will work wonders on these carbs.
https://youtu.be/_cknDXc2b8Y

https://f01.justanswer.com/mr2cycle/5200e920-278a-4a3d-aa66-0456e8e7003b_honda+carburetor+cleaning+(2016_04_25+11_08_23+UTC).pdf

This is the really nice pictorial I just used to straighten out a buddies toro. Make sure to pull that seat and Tap out that cursed brass tube. It's studded with teany weenie holes you need to clean out with an old bread bag tie wire.. How they ever manage to stay open at all is beyond me.

https://f01.justanswer.com/mr2cycle/5200e920-278a-4a3d-aa66-0456e8e7003b_honda+carburetor+cleaning+(2016_04_25+11_08_23+UTC).pdf

This was what I tried to link

🤣🤦ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸ I give up . Maby someone can decipher that link I tried to post. Mr I🤬pad just won't do it.n.

Last edited:
Back