Economic Impact Payment Card - scam?

Just received a envelope with a VISA debit card in it, letter is from Money Network Cardholder services. It says it's $2400 from Uncle Sam as a result of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act)

Is this a scam or legit?

And if legit, will I have to pay uncle sam back come 2020 tax filing season?

Last edited:
How did you file your taxes? Eg did you do a direct deposit, rapid refund, etc?

The US DOES use debit cards for random stuff, so they can kick money to bankers, but this sounds shady AF. It's "supposed" to go to whatever account you did your taxes with (or specifically told them about.) There ARE credit card companies that accept direct deposits, usually intended for the "unbanked" and based out of stores like Family Dollar.

It's a tax credit similar to to child tax credit. You will not need to pay it back, and it will not lower your refund if you overpay or have too much withheld.

Last edited:
You won't have to pay it back per say. But we will all pay it back over time.
grin2.gif

The limits are not exactly 75k/150k

The phase out starts at these incomes. Once you get to 99k / 198k the stimulus goes to zero. Between 75k and 99k you get a stimulus payment between 0 and 1200

Good friend of mine got one. It's for those who usually get their refunds by good old fashioned check.

It's legit.
smile.gif

Anyone see the Sonic movie?
Surprised you didnt get a 2400$ Olive Garden Giftcard.

**note I died laughing at that scene as when I enlisted in the military and got picked up from MEPS with 5 other dudes who all passed, the recruiter took us all to Olive Garden afterwards lol

Originally Posted by javacontour

The phase out starts at these incomes. Once you get to 99k / 198k the stimulus goes to zero. Between 75k and 99k you get a stimulus payment between 0 and 1200

Thanks! That's what I thought, I'll just put it in my savings account and leave it there. After I file I'll spend what's left.

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Originally Posted by javacontour

Thanks! That's what I thought, I'll just put it in my savings account and leave it there. After I file I'll spend what's left.
That's exactly where mine is going, to pay taxes on a jumbo CD interest income!

Back