Change in weights and specs

I have a 2008 Mercury Mariner with a V6 and have always used 5w/20 blend, usually Motorcraft. Changes are every 6k and I have to add a quart or so between changes.
For my car, Castrol recommends Edge 5w/30 that in addition to SN, is also ACEA A5. I do know that in Europe Ford calls for that, also Jaguars with that engine in that time used it.
Do they know something I don't know?

welcome2.gif
The short version. USA wants MPG, CAFE standards. Across the pond they're more concerned with engine protection, less on MPG or/and EPA.

Originally Posted by DaveSwan
I have a 2008 Mercury Mariner with a V6 and have always used 5w/20 blend, usually Motorcraft. Changes are every 6k and I have to add a quart or so between changes.
For my car, Castrol recommends Edge 5w/30 that in addition to SN, is also ACEA A5. I do know that in Europe Ford calls for that, also Jaguars with that engine in that time used it.
Do they know something I don't know?

It depends on the company. My 01' Duratec says 5W-20 on the cap and Mobil concurs, whereas Pennzoil and Valvoline say to use 5W-30. I doubt it makes much difference, in your case I'd consider using a full syn HM oil like Mobil 1 HM 5W-20 if you change it yourself...

Originally Posted by oldhp
welcome2.gif
The short version. USA wants MPG, CAFE standards. Across the pond they're more concerned with engine protection, less on MPG or/and EPA.

thumbsup2.gif

op,
I would use 5W30.

The higher the weight the better ...
Heavier = more solid
iirc, in old days Chinese, Eastern European and Soviet Union used to add lead to the bottom of appliances to make them heavier as consumers preferred heavier stuff.
Yugo needed a little more lead to be successful.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by OilUzer
op,
I would use 5W30.

The higher the weight the better ...
Heavier = more solid
iirc, in old days Chinese, Eastern European and Soviet Union used to add lead to the bottom of appliances to make them heavier as consumers preferred heavier stuff.
Yugo needed a little more lead to be successful.
shocked2.gif

Seemed like when I was in college delivering appliances, every basement washing machine had concrete blocks bolted to the mechanism. Or was full of water. We had a shop vac but you can not suck out all the water. Then once you get it out you can drain it before you pack up the stairs, some houses did not have a sink to pour out the ship vac so you got to pack it up the stairs a few times to dump it.

Rod

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Seemed like when I was in college delivering appliances, every basement washing machine had concrete blocks bolted to the mechanism. Or was full of water. We had a shop vac but you can not suck out all the water. Then once you get it out you can drain it before you pack up the stairs, some houses did not have a sink to pour out the ship vac so you got to pack it up the stairs a few times to dump it.

Yeah but those are counterweights that perform a valid function in the machine. You can observe this function by removing the blocks and then running a load of bath towels.

I went ahead and have changed to the 5w/30 Edge. We will see how it does. By the way, I grew up referring to oil weights

Originally Posted by DaveSwan
I went ahead and have changed to the 5w/30 Edge. We will see how it does. By the way, I grew up referring to oil weights

It's all good Dave.
Some of these folks have nothing else to do.

Back