AV Receiver recommendations

My five-year-old denon recently took a crap so I'm in the market for a new AV receiver. Not looking for anything fancy. Just 5.1 channels not a lot of bells and whistle's sound quality is most important. Any recommendations?

I haven't been in that market recently but some brands you might want to consider are Oppo (apparently no longer making products but new old stock might still be found), NAD and Outlaw Audio. Those manufacturers make a wide range of products in the not too expensive but reasonable quality range.

Stereophile magazine's 2020 Products of the Year speaks highly of the Outlaw RR2160 Receiver. But it probably only has a 2 channel stereo amp (with a sub out).

We have a Yamaha 5.1 channel integrated amplifier (it was a gift) that we use for our television sound. We only use 2 of those channels to power KEF 101 speakers. That combination works surprisingly well for television. For our main stereo we have a Benchmark DAC/preamp, a Mark Levinson power amp, and Mirage M1 speakers.

Back in the early 1980s we had an NAD 3020 integrated amplifier that's still highly regarded. I can't imagine KEF making a bad product.

I have a Marantz in my media room and an Onkyo in the family room. The Onkyo died after a year or so of minimal use but miraculously works again but I can't recommend as many people online had similar problems. The Marantz gets used almost daily in a 5.4.1 Atmos setup and I love it.

I've had luck with my "factory refurb" DENON AVR-S730H 7.2-Ch x 75 Watts receivers. They were last years model at the time and $100+ off new. There's a Denon authorized repair facility near me so I wouldn't need to ship them for any warranty work, if needed.

Media room has 7 speakers and downstairs has 5 and two outdoor patio speakers i drive off Zone 2.

Unless you have high end speakers, it's hard to find differences in quality of the receivers, IMO. The AirPlay feature is nice though.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
I have to suggest Yamaha, mine is ten years with zero issues. I use it all the time, when my TV is on so is the receiver.

Bought a Pioneer Elite VSX-33 on amazon 10 years ago for half price with no warranty. Rolled the dice and took a gamble.

Like yours, I use it everyday with my TV. Still going strong with never an issue.

Another vote for a Pioneer Elite here. My VSX-45 is going strong 4 years in, never had a single issue and it gets used at least 25-40 hours a week.

Originally Posted by VQLT
My five-year-old denon recently took a crap so I'm in the market for a new AV receiver. Not looking for anything fancy. Just 5.1 channels not a lot of bells and whistle's sound quality is most important. Any recommendations?

Not too many modern 5.1 receivers out there these days. Most are at least 7.1 or 7.2. Granted, you don't have to use all those channels - it leaves you more headroom/power for the channels that you do use. I have a basic 7.2 receiver currently, but only use it as 3.1.

You haven't specified a budget, but in the "under $500" range, you might want to look at a refurb Denon X1600H which comes with the upgraded Audyssey MultEQ XT room correction and a 3-year warranty:
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...ch-x-80-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Not too many modern 5.1 receivers out there these days. Most are at least 7.1 or 7.2. Granted, you don't have to use all those channels - it leaves you more headroom/power for the channels that you do use. I have a basic 7.2 receiver currently, but only use it as 3.1.

You haven't specified a budget, but in the "under $500" range, you might want to look at a refurb Denon X1600H which comes with the upgraded Audyssey MultEQ XT room correction and a 3-year warranty:
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...ch-x-80-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

Agreed, I won't buy a receiver that lacks Audyssey MultEQ XT.

I have to suggest Yamaha, mine is ten years with zero issues. I use it all the time, when my TV is on so is the receiver.

+1 for Yamaha. I have had 4 different Yamaha receivers through the last 20 years and have had excellent service and features for the money with all of them. I currently have two in the house (one in main room and one in bedroom) and the surround sound and performance has been excellent for the price.

You probably will get a better bang for the money to go with a used higher end unit than cheaper new unit.

Ive been pleased with my Yamaha too.

My Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX is flawless, was a replacement by Pioneer for another Pioneer receiver that i bought overseas and was not repairable, going on 12/13 yrs now, pushing a 5.1 surround sound system with JBL Studio series speakers and an SVS 20-39 PC Plus subwoofer.
cheers3.gif

35788724VSX47TX_big.jpg

Mains, center channel, and surrounds are Klipsch with Energy sub
Budget around $500
Current receiver which stopped working was
Denon AVR-X2100W
It is out of warranty. I could have it repaired but the repair shop said it would be a minimum of $80 plus parts and labor.

Mains, center channel, and surrounds are Klipsch with Energy sub
Budget around $500
Current receiver which stopped working was
Denon AVR-X2100W
It is out of warranty. I could have it repaired but the repair shop said it would be a minimum of $80 plus parts and labor.

Cheaper than a new one.

Back