Windshield spider repair

a new windshield
27.gif

How big is the spider?

only needed to repair a chip like you have one time....I just called a windshield repair company ...cost me like 80 bucks...

Most insurance pays those repairs in full as it saves them from buying a new windshield. Of course, you have to have the proper coverage.

Some of those kits say their for repairing chips, NOT cracks.

I made an attempt (my first ever) to repair my windshield just last Weekend.
Bought something off E-Bay with good reviews / about $10.00

Read and follow the instructions / basically:
1) Pour in some Resin
2) Pull plunger 'out' to create a vacuum and suck out any air (watch air-bubbles from inside vehicle)
3) Push plunger 'in' to force Resin into crack
Suggestion: Use a Lighted Magnifying Glass to view

Mine was a 1/2" crack with small chip in middle.
I can still see it but my concern was preventing the crack from getting any worse / time will tell.

Suggestion:
1) Prior to repair - Put something white on inside and use a Flashlight to observe the SHADOW caused by crack.
2) After repair - Use Flashlight and recheck.
Hopefully, the SHADOW will be smaller (mine was).

Good luck.

Last edited:
The Safelite repair pulls a vacuum and then injects the liquid and cures it with UV light.

Don't see how you can do that in a DIY kit.

Most insurance pays if you have full glass coverage.

Originally Posted by Donald
The Safelite repair pulls a vacuum and then injects the liquid and cures it with UV light.

Don't see how you can do that in a DIY kit.

Most insurance pays if you have full glass coverage.

+1 I'd check with Safelite.

I had a chip on my windshield on the BMW a few months ago and called the local office, they gave me a time to swing by and take a look at it to give me an estimate. I know it varies by office, but they were very accommodating and knew their stuff. I actually had the windshield replaced about a year ago due to a crack, so I wanted to check about the windshield chip to not cause damage to the new windshield. The guy looked at it, said that it was not deep enough to cause any issues, and sent me on my way at no charge.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Not wanting to wait I ordered the highest rated kit and will post pics if anyone is interested.

Yes please share what kit you bought and your results. I need to do this ot my Prius as well.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Not wanting to wait I ordered the highest rated kit and will post pics if anyone is interested.

Yes please share what kit you bought and your results. I need to do this ot my Prius as well.

Yep, I'd like to see the results. See no reason to anticipate the job won't work and replace the windshield without trying. Those kits aren't that expensive. If you have insurance that covers the repair without a deductible, do that instead. Obviously do it before it spreads.

I wasn't sure if my rates would go up for something I could fix myself for less than $20 but I took the advice and scheduled Safelite through the insurance co.

This is why I post stuff like this, so I get some sense talked into.
🙂

i have the rain x kit and used it to do one that was kinda like your damage. it worked about 90%. can still see a little of it. i think the main purpose to fix it is to keep it from spreading.

Also , be careful on getting a free chip repair. its not free as they charge your insurance company. Depending on the state , it might be charged as a claim . my mom found that out when had a chip fixed and her rates when up. called her insurance and they told her that our state allows it as a claim .

Originally Posted by WhyMe
i have the rain x kit and used it to do one that was kinda like your damage. it worked about 90%. can still see a little of it. i think the main purpose to fix it is to keep it from spreading.

Also , be careful on getting a free chip repair. its not free as they charge your insurance company. Depending on the state , it might be charged as a claim . my mom found that out when had a chip fixed and her rates when up. called her insurance and they told her that our state allows it as a claim .

I'm sure I've checked about any comp claims and told it doesn't count, but I'm sure that varies state to state and maybe company to company. Good advice to check before having it done.

I had a very good result with the 3M repair kit.....I was surprised actually.

I try not to leave cars out of the garage when the landscapers are mowing, but... I got a nice start w/ a few spider cracks at the edge f the swept area on the '72 Rover left windshield. Inspection was due so I figured I'd give the kit a try and deal with a full repair later.

The 3M kit was very good, if a bit fiddly but I was extremely happy with the result. You can still see the small
If the repair is a ways out, I'd give it a shot; buy a good kit, follow the instructions carefully. Make sure the syringe and suction cup are tight and you pull a good vacuum. My hint would be to heat the windshield w/ a hair dryer or similar, seemed to make the resin flow into the cracks a bit better. If mothing else, you learn a new skill.

I just had a similar repair done. I paid someone who knew what they were doing $60 for the repair. USAA will reimburse the cost.

Back