Baldwin oil filter on ATS 2.0 turbo

Dd3

Currently using wix wl10290 which I think is a good, solid filter for 5-6 k oci's, but I have a Baldwin on the shelf that I'd purchased just before I read the ADBV pressure was lower (20psi) vs the stock PF64 (and the wix I have) both @ 22psi. (which is what Cadillac says I need for my car) My question is will the engine even realize the difference of 2psi? Other than the psi difference, do the Baldwin and Wix compare similarly?
Thanks.

Last edited:
It will be fine
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Dd3
Currently using wix wl10290 which I think is a good, solid filter for 5-6 k oci's, but I have a Baldwin on the shelf that I'd purchased just before I read the ADBV pressure was lower (20psi) vs the stock PF64 (and the wix I have) both @ 22psi. (which is what Cadillac says I need for my car) My question is will the engine even realize the difference of 2psi? Other than the psi difference, do the Baldwin and Wix compare similarly?
Thanks.

The bypass valve setting will differ slightly between different brand oil filters for the same vehicle because the bypass valve setting is also dependent on the filter design, and not all based on the vehicle it's going on.

thanks guys. I think I have it now.....so each filter will work for whatever application it's designed for despite it possibly being off a couple psi because that was taken into consideration while constructing the filter for said application.

Remember the couple of pounds difference is only if filter becomes plugged or severe cold starts when oil would be at it's thickest. Bypass settings have no effect on fully warmed up engine running oil pressure

Originally Posted by Dd3
thanks guys. I think I have it now.....so each filter will work for whatever application it's designed for despite it possibly being off a couple psi because that was taken into consideration while constructing the filter for said application.

Some oil filters are specified by the filter designer to fit literally dozens of different vehicle engines. All those vehicles can't be designed exactly the same to require exactly the same oil filter with the same exact bypass valve setting. So that goes to show that the bypass setting is probably more dependent on the filter's design than the design of the engine it's going on.

Got it. Thanks all for the replies. Any thoughts on the filtering/flow of ea of the two aforementioned filters? I've red that the Baldwin's aren't anything to write home about in regards to filtering, but with 5-6k oci's, will it be that big of an issue? How MUCH better is the wix? (Using regular wix.... not the long OCI upgraded ones)
Thanks

They are both solid filters.

Wix may have a slight edge in filter media and micron rating.

I have experience using Baldwin filters on my truck, they are a good product and are very forthcoming regarding information if you email them.

I'd use either without issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by silversport
you could also try the UPF-64R (formally their UltraGuard line) which is AC Delco's best filter...

Bill

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I haven't looked it up yet, but I'd imagine the bypass valve pressure is 22 on the UPF-64R as well?

Just looked it up. Looks like the bypass pressure for that is 35 psi.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dd3
you could also try the UPF-64R (formally their UltraGuard line) which is AC Delco's best filter...

Bill

I haven't looked it up yet, but I'd imagine the bypass valve pressure is 22 on the UPF-64R as well?

Where did you see the spec for that?

Originally Posted by LMG1
Originally Posted by Dd3

Bill

Where did you see the spec for that?

Hmmm I think I just googled PF64R bypass pressure or something to that effect. Came right up without me even having to click on anything

Back