2014 Accord hesitates when cold

2014 Accord EX-L 4 door with the 4 cyl. earth dreams engine - almost 100K on it.

Been super reliable since day one, noticed a few days ago that on cold start and first drive off it seems to stumble. Fine after that.

Never replaced anything on this engine except the belt.

Any ideas? Plugs? Something else?

My wife has the same year and model with 133K on it now. Without knowing your preventative maint routine; I would - change spark plugs (pricey for some reason), thoroughly clean throttle body, clean MAF sensor (use MAF Sensor cleaner only), reset PCM and let it learn new parameters. If you haven't changed CVT fluid, do it now. Park on level ground, drain cold (usually 3.75 qts) refill with same amount of HCF-2 or equivalent (Eneos CVT, Redline, etc). If you have never done D & F on the CVT, after the first one, drive for a week and do another. It does make a difference...if I were doing it, that's what I would do. O2 sensors are usually tired at 80K - 100K, easy to replace. Others may agree or disagree, but I believe in prevention rather than reaction.

Last edited:
I agree with 86 cutlas307 try those preventative maintenance items that will only help the accord. My wife has a 13accord and I've done all those service

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
2014 Accord EX-L 4 door with the 4 cyl. earth dreams engine - almost 100K on it.

Been super reliable since day one, noticed a few days ago that on cold start and first drive off it seems to stumble. Fine after that.

So, it ONLY hesitates after leaving from a cold-start? How bad is the stumble?

Originally Posted by Trav
I found this it may help.

Honda Service Bulletin 13-053

SYMPTOM
A surge, hesitation, or judder may be felt as the vehicle
accelerates from a stop. The symptoms are more
noticeable before the vehicle is fully warmed up.

POSSIBLE CAUSE
The continuously variable transmission (CVT) needs
hardware and software updates.

https://www.driveaccord.net/attachments/tsb-pdf.255666/

Thanks, but my VIN is not affected.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by sasilverbullet

So, it ONLY hesitates after leaving from a cold-start? How bad is the stumble?

Noticeable, not severe, only once when cold.

Originally Posted by 86cutlass307
...change spark plugs (pricey for some reason), thoroughly clean throttle body, clean MAF sensor (use MAF Sensor cleaner only), reset PCM and let it learn new parameters. O2 sensors are usually tired at 80K - 100K, easy to replace...

I'll probably do the above, starting with the plugs first, seeing if it fixes as I go.

I would complete all of the recommended maintenance for 100-105K first and then start chasing things. This should include plugs and valve adjustment.

If it were mine I would start with what Pelican said "an electronic analyzer to plug into the OBD II port".

There are many things it could be. MAF needs cleaned, bad spark plugs, O2 sensor, and something no one has mentioned is that the exhaust gas re-circulation system plays a big role in keeping a cold engine running properly.

If the exhaust gas re-circulation relay is clogged it might just need cleaned, or it could be a clogged passage way. Was the vehicle often short tripped? Vehicles that do a lot of short trips use the exhaust gas re-circulation system a lot.

What was the routine maintenance for those first 100K miles? How often did you change the oil? Is the air filter clean?

If the oil and oil-filter were changed often enough then you probably have a good engine with one component that needs attention.

How many times have you changed the CVT fluid in the past?

Last edited:
There are Youtube videos on how to clean the EGR relay, and on how to clean the passage ways. The EGR relay is super simple on a Honda. Some other makes it is a royal PIA. The passage ways are more of a job, but there are other manufacturers that are much worse to do it on.

Note, on the older Honda's the on-board diagnostics is only smart enough to check that the EGR relay is opening and closing, but will not check that the passageways are not clogged. So you could have clogged passageways and still not show a code.

On newer Honda's the diagnostics is smart enough to throw a code if the passageways are clogged.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JimPghPA
There are Youtube videos on how to clean the EGR relay, and on how to clean the passage ways. The EGR relay is super simple on a Honda. Some other makes it is a royal PIA. The passage ways are more of a job, but there are other manufacturers that are much worse to do it on.

Note, on the older Honda's the on-board diagnostics is only smart enough to check that the EGR relay is opening and closing, but will not check that the passageways are not clogged. So you could have clogged passageways and still not show a code.

On newer Honda's the diagnostics is smart enough to throw a code if the passageways are clogged.

This vehicle is a 2014 Honda Accord 4 cylinders 2.4L Engine.

What is this EGR Relay you are referring to?

Originally Posted by ctechbob
I think he's referring to the EGR Valve.

https://www.samarins.com/glossary/egr.html

Usually looks like that in Honda's. MOST of the time it is fairly easy to get to and remove.

Sorry for that, I did mean valve. There are several videos on where they are and how to remove, clean, and replace them on Youtube. On a Honda 2.4 it is up front on top to your right as you are standing in front of the car (vehicles left) and very easy to do. If you reuse the old gasket you probably should use a very thin coat of red RTV sealant on both sides of the gasket, but with 100K miles you probably should get a new gasket.

You probably should start with the EGR valve. If it is not operating properly due to carbon buildup a good cleaning could be all that is needed.

I am not a ASE certified mechanic, but from what I have read:

1) Problems at low rpms (not much throttle) are more likely to be the EGR valve than the passageways, though it could still be the passageways.

2) Problems at cruising speeds (higher throttle) are more likely to be the passageways, though it could still be the EGR valve.

And of course since the EGR valve is super simple to do on that engine you probably should do that first before thinking about doing the passageways that are a harder job.

Last edited:
For the location of the EGR valve on a Honda 2.4 I was going by the location on some my CR-V and other 2.4 Honda's I have seen. I have not seen a 2014 Accord 2.4, there is a possibility it could be on your right as you stand in-front of the vehicle but back some and under a few items.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
For the location of the EGR valve on a Honda 2.4 I was going by the location on some my CR-V and other 2.4 Honda's I have seen. I have not seen a 2014 Accord 2.4, there is a possibility it could be on your right as you stand in-front of the vehicle but back some and under a few items.

Because there is no EGR Valve on the 2014 Accord 4 cyl.

Back