Recent Topics
Computer - Hypervisor - Increase I/O Performance
by brueggma1 - 06/06/20 03:30 PM
Inside of new windshield fogs up
by mclasser - 06/06/20 02:51 PM
Oil considerations Duratec 3.0 V6, 85k miles
by 97tbird - 06/06/20 02:22 PM
Best way to charge and maintain a battery?
by Avery4 - 06/06/20 02:10 PM
HM oils vs HM oils
by aquariuscsm - 06/06/20 12:37 PM
Confusion: oil grades, yellow metal, vintage
by LouK2 - 06/06/20 12:21 PM
New Rad needed Nissens vs APDI
by Bluestream - 06/06/20 11:58 AM
Oil filter cap wrench suggestions.
by RichR - 06/06/20 11:55 AM
AC Woes
by artbuc - 06/06/20 11:44 AM
Part source Canada TOTAL QUARTZ 9000 50% no tax
by Bluestream - 06/06/20 11:18 AM
Pressure washer foam gun
by Donald - 06/06/20 10:50 AM
Pentastar oil changes
by 4WD - 06/06/20 10:25 AM
Oil Pan Plug Problem
by 2015_PSD - 06/06/20 10:14 AM
Continentals out of balance
by wolf_06 - 06/06/20 10:04 AM
2017 Toyota Sienna AWD
by 92saturnsl2 - 06/06/20 09:33 AM
Wix 57045
by electricmarquis - 06/06/20 08:42 AM
VW GTI
by greenjp - 06/06/20 08:25 AM
Mower Engine Got Drenched With Oil
by viscous - 06/06/20 08:19 AM
Mobil 1 versus Motul for a 2020 Camry 0w16
by Amkeer - 06/06/20 05:52 AM
Newest Members
viscous, Roamingtxn, 3Dperf, LouK2, Michael328i
71618 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
75 registered members (ArrestMeRedZ, 4WD, 762fermeandyou, 86cutlass307, 55hambone, aquariuscsm, 5 invisible), 1,943 guests, and 35 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics306,299
Posts5,289,808
Members71,618
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Change in weights and specs #5435375 05/21/20 07:44 PM
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 2
D
DaveSwan Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 2
I have a 2008 Mercury Mariner with a V6 and have always used 5w/20 blend, usually Motorcraft. Changes are every 6k and I have to add a quart or so between changes.
For my car, Castrol recommends Edge 5w/30 that in addition to SN, is also ACEA A5. I do know that in Europe Ford calls for that, also Jaguars with that engine in that time used it.
Do they know something I don't know?

Re: Change in weights and specs [Re: DaveSwan] #5435383 05/21/20 07:50 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,574
O
oldhp Online Content
Online Content
O
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,574
welcome The short version. USA wants MPG, CAFE standards. Across the pond they're more concerned with engine protection, less on MPG or/and EPA.


"None of us are getting out here alive...drink that beer...eat that pizza...drive that Hot Rod"
"When others cut you down, remember where they came from."
"I don't run...........I just quietly wait"
Re: Change in weights and specs [Re: DaveSwan] #5435389 05/21/20 07:58 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,398
bdcardinal Offline
Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,398
Have you ever done the valve cover gaskets on that V6? If you haven't, check for leaks and while you have the covers off check the torque on the cam cap bolts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5azm1NS2_M


2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack
1995 Ford Mustang GT

Ford/Mazda Parts Counter
NRA Benefactor Member
Opinions expressed are my own.
Re: Change in weights and specs [Re: DaveSwan] #5435409 05/21/20 08:22 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 750
J
Jackson_Slugger Online Content
Online Content
J
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 750
Originally Posted by DaveSwan
I have a 2008 Mercury Mariner with a V6 and have always used 5w/20 blend, usually Motorcraft. Changes are every 6k and I have to add a quart or so between changes.
For my car, Castrol recommends Edge 5w/30 that in addition to SN, is also ACEA A5. I do know that in Europe Ford calls for that, also Jaguars with that engine in that time used it.
Do they know something I don't know?



It depends on the company. My 01' Duratec says 5W-20 on the cap and Mobil concurs, whereas Pennzoil and Valvoline say to use 5W-30. I doubt it makes much difference, in your case I'd consider using a full syn HM oil like Mobil 1 HM 5W-20 if you change it yourself...

Re: Change in weights and specs [Re: DaveSwan] #5435421 05/21/20 08:34 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 422
S
Sonic Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 422
Engine oil comes in grades. The term weight has nothing to do with oil.

Re: Change in weights and specs [Re: DaveSwan] #5435440 05/21/20 08:57 PM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 21,163
MolaKule Offline
Global Moderator
Offline
Global Moderator
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 21,163
Here on BITOG we usually discuss the oil's viscosity or the ranges of viscosity with respect to the grade.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts

What Castrol may recommend and what Ford may recommend may be two different things.


"As engineers [and scientists] we are wired to solve problems and to create new things, to challenge the status quo and push the limits..." Ken Hurt, Embry-Riddle University, Class of '97.
Re: Change in weights and specs [Re: DaveSwan] #5435524 05/21/20 11:17 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,858
C
Chris142 Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,858
I would try the 5w-30 to see of consumption lessens


02 Wrangler Napa high milage 10w40
87 F250 Valvoline 15w40
07 fjcruiser Car lube plus 10w30
Z400 castrol T 10w40
Can am Maveric edge 5w40
57 case tractor Chevron sae30
Re: Change in weights and specs [Re: oldhp] #5435575 05/22/20 03:11 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 34,301
D
demarpaint Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 34,301
Originally Posted by oldhp
welcome The short version. USA wants MPG, CAFE standards. Across the pond they're more concerned with engine protection, less on MPG or/and EPA.

thumbsup


God Bless Our Troops

Re: Change in weights and specs [Re: DaveSwan] #5435631 05/22/20 07:15 AM
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,475
O
OilUzer Offline
Offline
O
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,475
op,
I would use 5W30.

The higher the weight the better ...
Heavier = more solid
iirc, in old days Chinese, Eastern European and Soviet Union used to add lead to the bottom of appliances to make them heavier as consumers preferred heavier stuff.
Yugo needed a little more lead to be successful. shocked2


Re: Change in weights and specs [Re: OilUzer] #5435642 05/22/20 07:37 AM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,783
R
ragtoplvr Offline
Offline
R
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,783
Originally Posted by OilUzer
op,
I would use 5W30.

The higher the weight the better ...
Heavier = more solid
iirc, in old days Chinese, Eastern European and Soviet Union used to add lead to the bottom of appliances to make them heavier as consumers preferred heavier stuff.
Yugo needed a little more lead to be successful. shocked2


Seemed like when I was in college delivering appliances, every basement washing machine had concrete blocks bolted to the mechanism. Or was full of water. We had a shop vac but you can not suck out all the water. Then once you get it out you can drain it before you pack up the stairs, some houses did not have a sink to pour out the ship vac so you got to pack it up the stairs a few times to dump it.

Rod

Re: Change in weights and specs [Re: ragtoplvr] #5435651 05/22/20 07:53 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,270
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,270
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Seemed like when I was in college delivering appliances, every basement washing machine had concrete blocks bolted to the mechanism. Or was full of water. We had a shop vac but you can not suck out all the water. Then once you get it out you can drain it before you pack up the stairs, some houses did not have a sink to pour out the ship vac so you got to pack it up the stairs a few times to dump it.

Yeah but those are counterweights that perform a valid function in the machine. You can observe this function by removing the blocks and then running a load of bath towels.


1994 BMW 530i, 252K
1996 Honda Accord, 288K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 434K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 284K
Re: Change in weights and specs [Re: oldhp] #5435832 05/22/20 12:04 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 13,144
dave1251 Offline
Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 13,144
Originally Posted by oldhp
welcome The short version. USA wants MPG, CAFE standards. Across the pond they're more concerned with engine protection, less on MPG or/and EPA.

No.
https://www.car-engineer.com/the-different-driving-cycles/

Notice the significant driving differences.


make the inside of your engine oil cap white.
don't use.
Re: Change in weights and specs [Re: DaveSwan] #5436831 05/23/20 04:28 PM
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 2
D
DaveSwan Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 2
I went ahead and have changed to the 5w/30 Edge. We will see how it does. By the way, I grew up referring to oil weights

Re: Change in weights and specs [Re: DaveSwan] #5440122 05/27/20 12:29 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 178
D
DavidJones Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 178
Originally Posted by DaveSwan
I went ahead and have changed to the 5w/30 Edge. We will see how it does. By the way, I grew up referring to oil weights


It's all good Dave.
Some of these folks have nothing else to do.


My garage.....2012 Toyota Highlander (wife's), 2016 Ford 2.7EB F150(mine), 1969 Pontiac GTO, 2005 Double cab Tundra(son), 2015 Honda Accord EX(son).
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™