Removing silicone spray overspray/residue

As per title: used silicone spray to remedy chafing power windows, was mostly successful at keeping the bulk of the spray confined to the window tracks, but as with any aerosol coming out of a pressurised can, some of it got into the air and a number of small droplets got onto the seat bolsters, door sills, door armrest, et cetera. Thankfully, none of it got onto my steering wheel, wiper and turn signal stalks, and gear selector.

It's not a massive amount that causes my fingers or bum to slide around everywhere, but while it is a very small amount, I can definitely notice it being on certain surfaces. Some of the droplets are still visible on the (PU) surfaces.

What might work to remove it? Some enthusiastic rubbing with a mildly abrasive household sponge? Would some 70% or 90% isopropyl alcohol do the trick? Or... do I just ignore it (I probably could, for a few weeks) and will the silicone residue just rub away over time with normal use?

That's what my intuition told me as well, but as someone relatively inexperienced with working with silicone lube, I needed the reassurance from someone who knows better that I wouldn't inadvertently spread the stuff everywhere with the rag, and turn a 15 minute DIY cleaning job into a day at a professional detailer's.

edit: Thanks, by the way!

Last edited:
Water isn't going to do it. A rag with dishwashing soap and some kind of degreaser might work. IPA isn't a bad idea either. Silicone is extremely hard to completely remove from surfaces, we have to be careful with it at work.

I would probably just buff it with a dry microfiber rag. otherwise you will need a detergent and its hard to remove.

Prep-Sol. Auto body shops use it for paint prep before painting, any auto body supply place will have it or similar product.
Use a silicone grease on the window tracks, apply with a Q tip.

Prep-Sol removes silicone from paint. A lot of waxes and coating contain silicone and will bugger a paint job up in a heartbeat if not removed, scuffing the paint does not guarantee complete removal and give you fish eyes.

3M Prep Solvent-70 effectively removes oils, wax, grease, and silicone

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I got the affected parts of the interior to become far less slick, and more of a 'squeaky clean', first with degreaser, then dish soap, then wet paper towels, dry paper towels, and gentle but persistent rubbing with a microfiber towel. I know it won't be 100%, but the interior wasn't immaculate to begin with and I'm not too bothered by the squeaky sound. As long as the surfaces aren't slick anymore.

Definitely dodged a big bullet this time, as a mishap with a spray could have been so much worse. Will switch to silicone grease for the automobile and keep the spray for household use.

Back