post your latest transmission lubricant change.

Pan drop on my 2003 Grand Marquis at 38k miles. New Motorcraft filter, 7 quarts ( I let it drain for 2 days ) of Castrol Mercon V and a new ATP pan w/ drain plug. Fluid looked good, so I am stopping here and will change again after 40-50k miles. The new ATP pan was a little deeper than the original, giving an extra 1/2-3/4 quart capacity and I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher
Drain and fill in the '02 F150.
I installed a drain plug when I did the first drain and filter change @ 163,xxx miles. Did another drain 500 miles later, then 1000 miles after that, then 5000 more miles, that put me at 170,000 miles, and I now do it every 10,000 miles.
Hit 200,000 miles today so it was time again.
Fluid that came out looked nice and pink, no burnt smell to it.

Filled it with some more Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

Wait, are you using Maxlife in a Mercon V application?

Originally Posted by Lubener
Pan drop on my 2003 Grand Marquis at 38k miles. New Motorcraft filter, 7 quarts ( I let it drain for 2 days ) of Castrol Mercon V and a new ATP pan w/ drain plug. Fluid looked good, so I am stopping here and will change again after 40-50k miles. The new ATP pan was a little deeper than the original, giving an extra 1/2-3/4 quart capacity and I highly recommend it.

17 year old car with 38K miles!?!? Nice. Church & groceries?

Originally Posted by dwcopple
I installed a drain plug when I did the first drain and filter change @ 163,xxx miles. Did another drain 500 miles later, then 1000 miles after that, then 5000 more miles, that put me at 170,000 miles, and I now do it every 10,000 miles.

I have

Valvoline recommends using it in MERCON V applications. Obviously it works better than good enough.

Yup, and have been for a while in 2 different F150's.

2003 Toyota Highlander 3.0, 292k
Out: started out as MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF, about 3.5 quarts. Exceptionally dark, looked like bad brake fluid.
In: MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF, filled with fresh 3.5-4 quarts

2001 Ford E-250 4R70W, 208k
Out: about 4 quarts, unknown, presumably Mercon V. Transmission was overfilled.
In: 3 quarts Motorcraft Mercon V.

Originally Posted by Lubener

17 year old car with 38K miles!?!? Nice. Church & groceries?

Was mom's car, bought new.

5/5/2020

2013 Lexus ES350, 44,500 miles.

Out: Factory Fill
In: Indemitsu Type TLS-LV, 12 qt flush.

2011 Mercdes Benz E350, 4matic.

All new OEM MB fluid when I had the tranny replaced at 87k miles last month because the K2 valve burnt up due to p!ss poor engineering. The best or nothing........

Last edited:
Mother in law's 03 Buick with the 4T65E and 160k miles.

Her husband is incapacitated so I was doing an oil change for her. During the test drive I noticed it had some hard 2-3 shifts but no money light or P1811 codes stored. I pulled the dipstick and saw some pretty dark fluid but it didn't smell too bad. I suctioned out the pan with a Mityvac and refilled with a can of Seafoam Transtune and whatever Dex IIIH I had in the stash. Mostly Chevron MD, I think.

After a month, I had her leave it with us and I did another fluid extraction and refilled with Maxlife. I drove it a few days and it was better, but I was still seeing some hard shifts and excessive shift times via scan tool. I ended up dropping the pan and installing the Transgo accumulator spring kit, along with some extra magnets, new filter, a third fluid fill(Maxlife) and a bottle of Lubegard red. This made a tremendous difference. Nice clean, firm shifts. No banging into into gear.

2013 Traverse out factory in Shaffer Dex VI. Pulled line from radiator with jiffy disconnect tool done at 100k. 2015 Honda Accord out factory in Amsoil done at 60k. Drain and fill with 4 quarts.

If I'm not mistaken, I think that's what we have at the shop. They push the retainer clip out enough to pull it out with a pick, then you can pull the metal line free of the fitting. Handy little tool.

Back