Low Cost Folding Knives

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Does that knife have metal inserts under the handle material? I don't see any metal backbone structure like used on most folding knives.
Does this help?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yes, thanks ... interesting design. Have not seen any other folding knives with that design where the metal is embedded into the handle like that.

Grabbed a black one ... price is right, and free shipping or sales tax.

The StatGear WolfTac showed up today. Pretty nice folding knife for $7.50 to the door.

Quality is OK at this price. I like the handle texture. The back lock is a bit hard to disengage.

Agreed ... the back lock is hard to release, but no chance of ever accidentally disengaging it. The blade is very sharp. I noticed it has brass washers instead of nylon washers between the blade and frame at the blade pivot, which I thought was a nice touch on a inexpensive knife. So there is virtually no side to side blade play. The size is about as small as I'd like in a folding knife, but it's small and light for easy carry if so desired. Handle finger cut-outs are well done and fits the hand pretty nicely.

Only complaint I have is my knife has a small air gap on the end opposite the blade between one of the side plates and the center metal frame piece. It's not bad, but could have been zero gap like the opposite side has. Looks like it's not seating all the way down due to the inside of the side plate hitting the internal release spring from what I can see. Not a biggy for a $7.50 knife.

Only complaint I have is my knife has a small air gap on the end opposite the blade between one of the side plates and the center metal frame piece. It's not bad, but could have been zero gap like the opposite side has. Looks like it's not seating all the way down due to the inside of the side plate hitting the internal release spring from what I can see.

Not exactly sure where to look for this air gap. Maybe mine doesn't have this issue?

Only complaint I have is my knife has a small air gap on the end opposite the blade between one of the side plates and the center metal frame piece. It's not bad, but could have been zero gap like the opposite side has. Looks like it's not seating all the way down due to the inside of the side plate hitting the internal release spring from what I can see.

Not exactly sure where to look for this air gap. Maybe mine doesn't have this issue?

Yours is probably built right. Mine has a gap on the end opposite the blade because the spring tang for the thumb release is not seated straight in the metal end plate, and the end corner of that tang is protruding enough to prevent the side plate from laying completely flat. See photos - red arrow in the 2nd photo you can see the side plate screw in the gap. It was only $7.50, but still kind of disappointing they couldn't assemble it better.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah, that sucks. It looks like I had better luck. I've read that QC on these isn't the greatest. Wondering if they'd be willing to send you a replacement at no charge, if you sent them your photos.

Yep, yours looks perfect. Think I'll contact them and see what they say about it.

I tried squeezing the side plate in with as much force as possible (without causing damage to the handle material) hoping it would push the protruding spring tang end farther into its groove (where it should be), but no luck with that.

Yep, yours looks perfect. Think I'll contact them and see what they say about it.
Good luck! Feel free to send them my photos, too, for comparison.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Zee, are you still happy with the neon Grandway knife?

Yes, the Grand Way S20 is very nice for $21, well worth the price IMO. As mentioned before, it has ball bearings in the blade pivot, and the blade is very nice. It's not spring assisted (the ad says it is, but it's not), but the piviot is so smooth that it flicks open like a spring assisted blade with just finger action.

If you get one and the handle has some black marks on it (like some people have commented about in the reviews), just put some WD-40 on a Q-Tip and rub off the black stain - that will remove the stain well. The stain is from a black piece of paper they put in the package.

Will do, thanks. I'll report back what they say.

Yes, the Grand Way S20 is very nice for $21, well worth the price IMO. As mentioned before, it has ball bearings in the blade pivot, and the blade is very nice. It's not spring assisted (the ad says it is, but it's not), but the piviot is so smooth that it flicks open like a spring assisted blade with just finger action.

If you get one and the handle has some black marks on it (like some people have commented about in the reviews), just put some WD-40 on a Q-Tip and rub off the black stain - that will remove the stain well. The stain is from a black piece of paper they put in the package.

Thanks for the wd40 tip! It was black on one side. Feels solid. I like cheap knives for camping as I tend to lose them.
I like this one over some of the schrades I have. I like yellow , if I drop it in the woods or a field , I have a chance of finding it.

Last edited:

Thanks for the wd40 tip! It was black on one side. Feels solid. I like cheap knives for camping as I tend to lose them.
I like this one over some of the schrades I have. I like yellow , if I drop it in the woods or a field , I have a chance of finding it.

Yeah, it's a pretty nice quality folding knife for the cost, especially with the ball bearing blade pivot and the high quality blade material. The yellow handle is unique for sure.

Will do, thanks. I'll report back what they say.

They said they'd send me a replacement ... great customer service.

Originally Posted by levi
Unless I'm missing something, shipping for me will be $14.99. Is there a code I don't know about?

You don't see a "FREE Economy Shipping" option after you enter your address information?

Ok, 1st went to the cart to get a shipping quote without trying to check-out. That was the $14.99. Didn't know it was necessary to go thru the check-out process to get the option.

Back