FVP R1334A and the aftermath of a failed engine

Came off of a customer's 2012 Kia Rio with a 1.6 and about 82K miles, came in knocking. Oil and filter had around 9500 miles on it by the sticker. Full when it came in, but ultra black. We suspect it didn't get checked and topped off until after it started making noise, and of course by then it was too late. Found one pleat torn at both ends, would suspect it's due to the OCI more than anything else, but it appears to be a Purolator manufactured unit along the same lines as NAPA's Proselect line, so who knows. Likely wouldn't have killed the engine without help. ADBV was rock hard, and pretty wavy, but the engine was hammering hard enough when you started it it was tough to tell whether it was working or not. New engine got Mobil Special 5w30 and a FULL 2OHY001 filter.

20200520_160328.jpg

20200520_160336.jpg

20200520_160343.jpg

20200520_160352.jpg

20200520_160404.jpg

20200520_160412.jpg

20200520_160421.jpg

Looks like the filter failed pretty early, judging by the light colored filter media.....certainly not 9500miles worth of oil went through that media....

On the can it says "The Confident Solution".... um, not really.

We install these filters at work. I wouldn't use them, personally. I used them on my Marauder simply because I wasn't worried about the quality of the oil or the engine itself, but I cut several open at 5k and they were torn. They're a super basic jobber filter, no more. Absolutely 3k MAX on one of these. Or use something else.

The Volt only gets AC Delco PF65's. $3.43 right now on RA with rebate.

Or still under warranty. Less than 10 years old and less than 100k miles.

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
How much for a new/used engine in a 2012 Rio? Owner must love the car or you were able to source an engine for cheap.

To answer some questions and clarify sone things: we didn't bother with a LOF before the engine swap, it was toast. Can't remember what the final bill was, but it was a lot. We normally suggest a max oci of 5k miles, but we have a couple customers with Sonatas or Optimas that we dropped to 4k. Was basing my Purolator assessment on visual cues alone, honestly no idea who builds it. As far as the specs on the Full oes filters, no idea. Seemingly well built, silicone adbv, and we wanted to stock a better filter than the jobber tier stuff for customers that wanted it, but didnt want to pay an arm and a leg for a Napa Gold. Last time Napa had a sale we stocked up, so will likely phase them back out and go back to the Golds. Finally as far as warranty goes he wasn't the original owner, and in all of my dealings with Hyundai and Kia the 10 year/100K warranty is only extended to the original owner, once the car changes ownership it drops to the base powertrain warranty, 6 yr/60k.

Too small for an oil filter; it's barely large enough for a fuel filter- unless - its installed on your Kawasaki V Lawn Tractor engine.

Engine Failure was likely Customer service and maintenance neglect or the Low quality Korean engine grenade pin fell out.

Last edited:
Two torn pleats will not cause a dead engine.

Are we saying the filter is what caused the condition of the engine? Or are we saying that this is what the filter looked like after being installed on a dead engine?

Originally Posted by junk1020
Here, this should clear up the Kia Warranty: 2012 Kia Warranty Manual

Yes, that's why I asked if it was the original owner. Kia/Hyundai is so bad about aftermarket filters that just using the FVP would probably have voided the warranty anyway. Hate to see what the guy spent putting an engine in an 8 year old Rio, can't imagine it being worth a new engine, and a used one would be a game of Russian Roulette for sure!

Originally Posted by RamFan
Two torn pleats will not cause a dead engine.

Are we saying the filter is what caused the condition of the engine? Or are we saying that this is what the filter looked like after being installed on a dead engine?

I take it as the latter.

Back