Rock Auto and "Moog" parts

Changing a bunch of suspension parts on wife's 07 Sonata. It's been a while since I've used Rock Auto. I decided to go with Moog parts which included 2 lower ball joints. Both came in Moog packaging but one is some other generic brand. One looks like a Moog ball joint with castle nut and whole in the threading for a cotter pin. It also has the greasable fitting. The other a rougher looking casting, a completely different animal with one of those nuts that have plastic in them for locking (are they called plastic locknuts? not sure) and no grease fitting . The writing on the top flat part says "Central Corporation" made in Korea. Seems strange I would get this instead of the Moog, what gives? Anyhow sending it back for refund. I realize Moog is not necessarily made in the US, but that's not my complaint here.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

The one in question is from CTR Suspension (Central Corp). They are based out of Korea and do a decent bit of OE business. I have used their parts occasionally (from WP) and have not had any issues.

Originally Posted by The Critic
The one in question is from CTR Suspension (Central Corp). They are based out of Korea and do a decent bit of OE business. I have used their parts occasionally (from WP) and have not had any issues.

I was wondering if they made the OEM parts for Hyundai since they are based in Korea. Anyhow, it's not the picture in the description from Rock auto which was a real moog branded part with grease fitting. There were plenty of cheaper options available if I just wanted another brand.

Personally, if the job could wait, I'd send it back. Whether it is a quality part or not isn't the issue, 1) it's not the same as the other ball joint, and 2) it's not what you ordered and paid for. RockAuto returns can be a pain, though, so you'll have to judge if the hassle is worth it.

Moog probably re-boxes whatever they want, and in my experience I'd question the "Moog" one more than the other one. For one thing I much prefer the ones without grease fittings as I've found them to be much more reliable.

Originally Posted by getawheel
Personally, if the job could wait, I'd send it back. Whether it is a quality part or not isn't the issue, 1) it's not the same as the other ball joint, and 2) it's not what you ordered and paid for. RockAuto returns can be a pain, though, so you'll have to judge if the hassle is worth it.

It can wait. I printed the return label and sending it back today. They will send right part as soon as part arrives at their location (Baltimore).

Originally Posted by kschachn
Moog probably re-boxes whatever they want, and in my experience I'd question the "Moog" one more than the other one. For one thing I much prefer the ones without grease fittings as I've found them to be much more reliable.

Yeah I was debating that since I've heard different opinions on that issue. I've had good luck with Moog in the past.

To agree with Trav and kschachn I also have not been impressed with Moog quality for the last 10 years or so. I'd definitely prefer a Spicer or Raybestos Pro Grade sealed ball joint.

Originally Posted by cb_13
To agree with Trav and kschachn I also have not been impressed with Moog quality for the last 10 years or so. I'd definitely prefer a Spicer or Raybestos Pro Grade sealed ball joint.

When Moog was really Moog they were some of the best in the business even under Federal Mogul they were not bad but since federal was bought by Tenneco (the company which ruined Monroe) they are just selling crap riding on the old good name.

Originally Posted by Trav
If anything I would send the crap Moog back and get another sealed (no grease fitting) part.

This.

Originally Posted by diyjake
I hear from a lot of people that Moog is junk nowadays.

I have moog ball joints in my F350. Very disappointed.

I've decided I'll experiment and install both.. Who knows, maybe the nonMoog one will last longer.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
next time, try Proforged
smile.gif

Agreed. Unless you are some sort of heavy duty application, a sealed design such as with the Proforged parts is superior to the old school greaseable. Having a grease nipple is just one extra maintenance step that is easily forgotten and overlooked as time goes on.

On a side these lower bjoints are a piece of cake to change on this vehicle. Huge difference to daughters suburu which is a serious PITA.

Back