2020 Honda Ciivic Type R

Originally Posted by buster
$37,950 for a Civic is a lot.

About as far away from the base Civic as an STI is from an Impreza, as a Golf R is from a Golf, as a Focus RS was from a Focus, as an Evo was from a Lancer. What about the price of THIS heavily modified, tarted-up econobox surprises you?

id say its not just how much pay for it upfront but also what is its residual value after 5Y for example, against its competition of course

Last edited:
My plain jane civic sport hb has been one of the most fun cars i have owned in a long time. A CTR must be a hoot to drive. Even though there are still 2019's CTR at dealers the they are not budging on the price. in 5 years the residual value will still be high .

its a race car for the masses.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
About as far away from the base Civic as an STI is from an Impreza, as a Golf R is from a Golf, as a Focus RS was from a Focus, as an Evo was from a Lancer. What about the price of THIS heavily modified, tarted-up econobox surprises you?

Golf [FWD] --> Golf R [AWD]
Focus [FWD] --> Focus RS [AWD]
Lancer [FWD] --> Evolution [AWD]
Impreza [AWD] --> WRX STI [AWD]

Civic [FWD] --> Civic Type R [FWD]

Subaru notwithstanding, it seems your money is buying an entirely new powertrain layout when you step up to the performance variant, not just more power in the same configuration.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Subaru notwithstanding, it seems your money is buying an entirely new powertrain layout when you step up to the performance variant, not just more power in the same configuration.

Ed Zachary!
Your additional funds isn't just getting you a fancy new powertrain, but also improvements in suspension, steering, braking etc.
It's almost like comparing apples to oranges.

10-15 years from now well cared for, unmodified, lower mileage examples of these will be holding their value quite well. Might even approach S2000 levels of value in the next 10-15 years. If someone had tons of disposable income, and a place to safely store one of these for several years, it would be a good investment prospect.

After over eight mostly pleasant years with my mildly modded Mazdaspeed 3 I'm one and done with FWD hot hatches. I still think the Type R is an impressive achievement, although the Veloster N is probably a better value.

I think it's a sweet car! Especially since you don't see 10 of them for every block like you do so many other cars. I've always liked the "rarer" cars.

Have driven plenty of front wheel drive cars but never owned one. This would be at the top of the list(it's a short list in the U.S.) if I ever buy one.

I'd love to drive one, but it's a lot of power for FWD. My aunt's 16' Avalon will squeal the tires to 35 mph if you stomp on it, but I'm sure suspension and good tires have a lot to do as well.

I actually raced a new Type R on the strip last winter with my Genesis, I won but I don't think the girl driving was that good of a driver, with the right driver it probably would have won.

crackmeup2.gif
What an overly simplistic way to compare drivetrains!

Are you saying that the regular Civic and CTR have the same drivetrain???

The hideous styling with all the body kits and ridiculous rear wing doesn't appeal to me at all.
But if you like how it looks and can buy it for under 40K out the door you getting a great deal for the performance you won't find in any other front wheel drive platform.
Good luck with that though. Dealerships are jacking up the prices through the roof.

Just because it's FWD doesn't mean it shares the same powertrain, drivetrain, and suspension layout as the normal Civic. AWD doesn't mean it's faster or will handle better in the corners - and this is from a previous evo owner.

Back