Hurricane Oil

Ok, no such thing
tired.gif

We run Honda EM7000, EU6500, EU7000 inverters for a few hundred hours each summer during storms, hurricanes, power outages.

Normally these machines get whatever leftover 5W-xx, 10W-xx either syn or synblend is available with change (all have Qwikvalves for fast drains) at around 50 hours use or about 2 days non-stop. All run whole house systems, heat pumps, pool pumps, refrigerators, etc.

ECO mode is usually always ON and power use never exceeds 2800 watts at peak as we also switch our water heaters to 120v (3-way switch) which runs the 4,500 watt elements at 1,125 watts of power.

Any suggestions pro/con on using this oil at summer peak times ?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L1F876S

I seem to recall a post on here where someone was mentioning how neighbors were losing generator engines running 5w and 10w oils. If I was going to run an air cooled generator around the clock in a hot climate, I'd do one of the three: 15w-40, SAE40 or 20w-50. My generator has Mobil1 20w-50 in it right now just in case we have another 20 hour power outage on a 90 degree day.

Originally Posted by Miller88
My generator has Mobil1 20w-50 in it right now just in case we have another 20 hour power outage on a 90 degree day.

Where are you buying your Mobil-1 20W-50 oil? All I see on the shelves is 15W-50.

I seem to recall a post on here where someone was mentioning how neighbors were losing generator engines running 5w and 10w oils. If I was going to run an air cooled generator around the clock in a hot climate, I'd do one of the three: 15w-40, SAE40 or 20w-50. My generator has Mobil1 20w-50 in it right now just in case we have another 20 hour power outage on a 90 degree day.

The oil gets consumed and the engine seize up.

The HDEO oils syn or " conventional" are some of the best oils on the market. I would use 15W-40 with confidence.

After searching generator oil discussions for my own use, it seems that folks in hot southern states tend to use thicker oil than what is specified in the basic owner's manual.
In Michigan, I use Mobil 1 10W-30 in my Honda generators and lawnmower. Works great in my climate.
In Florida and Texas, it seems that the majority of people use 15W-40 HDEO, 15W-50 or 20W-50 for extended run use of generators and commercial lawn equipment.

The general failure mode (as I understand it) is that the generator consumes the thinner oil over time and the owner fails to check the oil level often enough, resulting in engine failure from lack of lubrication. Oil consumption appears to be much less with the thicker oils when operating an air-cooled engine in hot, humid, stagnant air.

15W-40 HDEO, Mobil 1 synthetic 15W-50 or Mobil 1 20W-50 synthetic motorcycle oil are mentioned a lot on this forum as favorites.

Running Delvac 1 5w40 in mine.
Find it a bit easier to tug the pull start (that takes a few pulls) compared to 15w40.

Shell Rotella T6 in 5W-40 has been my goto oil for generators, but they have a new 15W-40 full synthetic I have not tried yet...

Originally Posted by CT8

I thought most of the generators had low oil switches that will kill the engine if oil goes too low?

Originally Posted by crainholio
My generator has Mobil1 20w-50 in it right now just in case we have another 20 hour power outage on a 90 degree day.

Where are you buying your Mobil-1 20W-50 oil? All I see on the shelves is 15W-50.

I got it at Walmart a year or two ago for like $2 or $3 a quart.

Originally Posted by CT8

I thought most of the generators had low oil switches that will kill the engine if oil goes too low?

Perhaps the combination of low oil (but not low enough to trip the sensor) and the high temperatures (causing a 10W-30 to be really thin) results in inadequate lubrication? Maybe less quantity of a thinner oil splashing around inside the engine causes the failure?
21.gif

In the reports I've read on BITOG, most failures were attributed to the combination of high heat & humidity & stagnant air, thin oil (xW-30) and the owner not checking the oil level (running the oil too low).

No clue of diesel oil vs PCMO. But judging just by viscosity, 15w40, 20w50 or straight weight 40w-60w 'cuz hurricane season in the Keys...V twin oil

Originally Posted by Ride_Red

Perhaps the combination of low oil (but not low enough to trip the sensor) and the high temperatures (causing a 10W-30 to be really thin) results in inadequate lubrication? Maybe less quantity of a thinner oil splashing around inside the engine causes the failure?
21.gif

In the reports I've read on BITOG, most failures were attributed to the combination of high heat & humidity & stagnant air, thin oil (xW-30) and the owner not checking the oil level (running the oil too low).

That makes the most sense to me. I'm assuming if it's operating at 1/2 oil capacity or less, whatever is in there is going to get much , much warmer than if there was twice as much.

We run Honda EM7000, EU6500, EU7000 inverters for a few hundred hours each summer

Wow. I thought my area in NY was bad with power outages (thanks NYSEG).

We are moving to DE soon (month or two) and down there they have between 0 and 1 outage a year. So I am thinking a generator may not be worth it even though I have one to bring. And the house has a heat pump so if I want to cover the heat/AC I need a HUGE generator,

Originally Posted by Donald

Wow. I thought my area in NY was bad with power outages (thanks NYSEG).

We are moving to DE soon (month or two) and down there they have between 0 and 1 outage a year. So I am thinking a generator may not be worth it even though I have one to bring. And the house has a heat pump so if I want to cover the heat/AC I need a HUGE generator,

But if it's a warmer (or cooler?) climate, would you need to run heat/ac for the typical outage? A small generator might get you by for a few days.

if you're not going to be able to sell it for much, and it fits on the truck, I'd be tempted to keep it. If it's paid for itself already, one could argue either way, but if you have a hiding spot for it in the new home... it might have value "just in case".

Personally I run T6 5w-40 in the generators here in southeast PA, but then I've never run one for more than 8 hours. I gave up on conventional oils a long time ago after a really good push mower threw a rod after only eight years on the job. Were I living in Florida, a synthetic 15w-40 or 15w-50 would probably be my oil of choice for this application.

Originally Posted by henni
Ok, no such thing
tired.gif

We run Honda EM7000, EU6500, EU7000 inverters for a few hundred hours each summer during storms, hurricanes, power outages.

Normally these machines get whatever leftover 5W-xx, 10W-xx either syn or synblend is available with change (all have Qwikvalves for fast drains) at around 50 hours use or about 2 days non-stop. All run whole house systems, heat pumps, pool pumps, refrigerators, etc.

ECO mode is usually always ON and power use never exceeds 2800 watts at peak as we also switch our water heaters to 120v (3-way switch) which runs the 4,500 watt elements at 1,125 watts of power.

Any suggestions pro/con on using this oil at summer peak times ?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L1F876S

Henni,

That Delo 15W40 would be my preference over the 5W or 10W synthetic oils you have been running (in your climate), in a 50 hr, non stop, Key West application. More margin from engine failure under hard usage. No cons that I see.

I have an old EU6500is inverter generator (rebuilt engine) that I use for whole house power outages. I have been using leftover, Chevron Delo Severe Duty 15W30 that I bought when they discontinued it. Works fine in this Tennessee climate (even though it is a conventional HDEO 30 wt oil). When it is all gone, I have a jug of Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo Diesel Truck to be used year round. Also have a jug of Rotella T6 15W40 full synthetic as a spare. No more 30 weight oil for me going forward.

I want to know:

1) Is the newer EU7000is generator really an upgrade over the older EU6500is in real world usage? Any cons for that model?

2) How many hours on all your generators?

I sure hope Shell's "synthetic" 15w40 has a lower Noack than incredible edible T6 …

The whole idea of 15w40:"synthetic" is lost on me ~ when Delvac/Delo inexpensive stuff is 10/11

15w40 Delo is a good choice, but any 15w40 likely is.

I'd entertain a few 5 gallon buckets or a 55 gallon drum. Running 3 machines, 50 hrs a piece is a lot of oil. What's the sump size? 1 quart at least I reckon.

Back