School me on 410 shotguns

Originally Posted by bcossa2001
Hello all...I'm thinking of buying a 410 pump shotgun....$300 or so for birds and range use.
Used is ok. Is there a manufacturer/year/model I should avoid????
Or will any model by a reputable manufacturer (Mossberg, Remington, Winchester, etc) be reliable????

Thanks in advance........

I would get a 12 gauge instead. 20 gauge would be my next choice. 410's are following the same route as the 16 gauges.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bcossa2001
Thanks for all comments......
I own a 12 gauge and it's a little more than I want, especially with rotator cuff surgery a couple of years ago.
I have fond memories of shooting a 410 during summers at the grandparents as a youth.
I'm not opposed to a 20 gauge based on the comments in the thread.
So same question - anything to avoid in 20 gauge or any specific models to chase.......or avoid????

Have you tried any of the lighter recoil 12 gauge loads? They might take the edge off.

Something like a 20 gauge Remington 1100/11-87 is a sweet, and soft, shooting gun. Over your budget a little though unless a used one pops up.

I'd pass on a .410 for birds. Very challenging and the shells are expensive.

The nice thing about single shot or double barrelled 410s is the ability to shoot .45LC as well. I reload 410 so it's actually astonishingly cheap to shoot. I get 12ga on sale or at auctions and take them apart to make a whole whack of 410 shells.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Find a heavy 20gauge. Often 20g guns are smaller and lighter than a 12. They will kick almost as bad as a 12. A heavy gun absorbs some of that kick as does a semi auto.

This^

Originally Posted by tom slick
In my limited experience a .410 is a great way to miss birds but still get a sore shoulder. A 20 gauge is easier to shoot.

This and I can always find 20 gauge ammo cheaper and with a better selection of shot sizes.

myself I use a Mossberg 410 at times...I like it , gives a bit more challenge to use on small game

Back