AC/Delco light duty diesel oil 0w-20

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: Rat407
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
You'd have to be a moron to put that water in any diesel engine! I'm sorry but if this isn't CAFE driven I don't know what is...

Go ahead, I'll bet a paycheck engines begin failing left and right and the switch to a 5W40 comes very shortly from GM.

The same moron that purchase it new and follows GM's recommendation to keep it in warranty. Like I stated above it is a completely new design straight six diesel and being built in Michigan from my understanding. No other information is being released. So no torque or HP specs or even fuel economy but GM is stating that we will not be disappointed and it will be better than the Ram and Ford 1500 diesel.

I'd be buying the specified oil for the receipts if I purchased $40000 USD truck that I intended to keep. Just because it is a new engine does not mean it was designed with 0W20 in mind. What other diesel engines do you know of that spec an xW20? I'm not a tribologist or engineer, just a BITOGer who likes it thicc.

So in other words, GM built it to run a 15w-40 oil but is telling you to run a 0w-20 so they will have to replace engines under warranty because the oil caused problems? Makes sense to me.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
The engine will last a million miles on 15W40, weather permitting, but 0W20 will get it past the warranty period.

And that my friend is all they care about. Getting through warranty and pleasing the EPA.

This would be an awesome oil for gas engines that beat up on oil.

A stronger, higher HT/HS 0W-20 that basically straddles being a 0W-20/0W-30.

Sounds great to me; I'd run it in my Soul in the winter in a heartbeat.

Darn it, might have to find a GM dealer that has it in the winter!

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Could use the new (2019 Corvette oil) M1 0w-40 ESP dexos2 oil in everything for the summer; then use the new 0w20 stuff in the winter.

0W-40, which I'm guessing is M1, can also be used in the 2.8 mini max which is in the Colorado/Canyon trucks. I've been thinking about going to a Valvoline Synpower MST 5W-40 which is Dexos 2/Acea C3 approved, after I use up my last free oil change. I'm using the OEM Dexos 2 5W-30 right now but I would just feel more comfortable with a 5W-40.

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect an old post but seems fitting now that I am an owner of one of the new Duramax 3.0L diesels. The oil they recommend is almost impossible to find. Looking at picking some up at the dealer since no other retailers seem to stock it. I can find tons of 0W-20's but only one rated to the new DexosD spec (what ever that spec is). Seems like Mobil Super 3000 XE2 is the only listed equivalent. Not even the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-20.

If it's that darn hard to find oil for this thing I may have to try the Mobil1 5W-40 that is being called out in the FCA 3.0L diesel. I want long life and would give up 1-2MPG's if it means I'd be able to get 300K miles or more out of the combo. Just concerned as this engine uses a belt on the oil pump (variable rate). I'd probably be required to keep the 0-20 Unobtainable oil for the first 35K miles to keep it under warranty but after that not sure if others have advice.

Last edited:
Amalie makes a 5W-40 Dexos 2 approved oil for these engines.
Originally Posted by JP_Austin
Sorry to resurrect an old post but seems fitting now that I am an owner of one of the new Duramax 3.0L diesels. The oil they recommend is almost impossible to find. Looking at picking some up at the dealer since no other retailers seem to stock it. I can find tons of 0W-20's but only one rated to the new DexosD spec (what ever that spec is). Seems like Mobil Super 3000 XE2 is the only listed equivalent. Not even the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-20.

If it's that darn hard to find oil for this thing I may have to try the Mobil1 5W-40 that is being called out in the FCA 3.0L diesel. I want long life and would give up 1-2MPG's if it means I'd be able to get 300K miles or more out of the combo. Just concerned as this engine uses a belt on the oil pump (variable rate). I'd probably be required to keep the 0-20 Unobtainable oil for the first 35K miles to keep it under warranty but after that not sure if others have advice.

Amalie makes a 5W-40 dexos 2 approved oil for these engines.

Hello! Does your truck have the stop start feature on it? If so, can you turn it off when you get in the truck to start it? Or can you just turn it off once and it not come back on? I like this truck and want to learn about them. Thank You, Bill

One thing you won't have to worry about with an HDEO 0w20 is LSPI.
With a 10 speed transmission, there won't be a big rpm drop between up-shifts.
No lugging the engine in the wrong gear should keep the loaded side connecting rod bearing happy.
Even with 0W20.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
You'd have to be a moron to put that water in any diesel engine! I'm sorry but if this isn't CAFE driven I don't know what is...

Go ahead, I'll bet a paycheck engines begin failing left and right and the switch to a 5W40 comes very shortly from GM.

The same moron that purchase it new and follows GM's recommendation to keep it in warranty. Like I stated above it is a completely new design straight six diesel and being built in Michigan from my understanding. No other information is being released. So no torque or HP specs or even fuel economy but GM is stating that we will not be disappointed and it will be better than the Ram and Ford 1500 diesel.
Where's that paycheck??? It's a great engine with VERY few issues according to both myself (owner with 13k on my AT4) and a friend who's a master tech at the local GM dealership. No issues in the sub zero temps either. This is a BRAND NEW engine designed in Italy, tested in Germany and now built here. It's DESIGNED to run 0/20. This is NOT a HEAVY DUTY engine therefore does NOT require an HD oil. Typical owners are NOT buying this truck to haul heavy trailers everyday. YOU would have to be the moron to spend $70k like I did only to fill it with anything other viscosity that what it's spec'd for considering all of the actuators and such which are pressure dependent. It's a "Duramax" in name only.

Let me know when you want my address....

Oh, and I use 50/50 Delco Dexos D and Schaeffers 0/20. I did the first change at 3k, the second at 8k and the third is coming up at 15k. You CAN buy the oil at the dealership or on FleaBay. The filters are the same. No one makes an aftermarket yet for it.

Last edited:
Hello! Does your truck have the stop start feature on it? If so, can you turn it off when you get in the truck to start it? Or can you just turn it off once and it not come back on? I like this truck and want to learn about them. Thank You, Bill
You must hit a button at every startup. People make a big deal of it, however once it becomes routine (as in click belt, click switch) it's not a big deal.

Trust GM.... hahahahaha too funny

ItalianGerman engineeringtesting..... what a nightmare!

Use whatever you want, wait 5-10 years, and see if the 0w20 recommendation still applies.

Got crucified for using 5w40 in an ecodiesel that needed 5w30..... with all that R&D engineering and blind trust so many owner had.... Not too long afterward, they TSB'd 5w40, placed a 5w40 sticker on the oil fill cap.... Glad that R&D followed some moron owners and TSB'd it!

I will never understand blind trust in ANY automakers with the non-stop engineering failures pushed on the consumer over the last few decades.

I don't thing that I would buy a vehicle with this abundance of lubricant choices:
https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexosd/index.html I think they forgot to add the Mobil ESPx2 oil... of 508, STJLR, and C20 fame. So, maybe there are a ton of acceptable oils just not licensed yet. Get your oil changed at a VW or Porsche shop!!!!

The other option is just to cut the interval down some until more is known about this engine. I'm expecting some negligent or abusive owners will find the weak spots. And, it can tow ~9000+ lbs.. So, I expect some to work their 1/2 ton truck some and really see what happens.

Trust what GM had recommended they’ve done plenty of testing on this
Now thats the funniest **** thing I've read all day! :) :)

Sure, CAFE and EPA had no input on this one!

Are those same GM engineers the ones that designed the Northstar engine? How about the early LS all aluminum motors that were like Chevy Vegas??

Now thats the funniest **** thing I've read all day! :) :)

Sure, CAFE and EPA had no input on this one!

Are those same GM engineers the ones that designed the Northstar engine? How about the early LS all aluminum motors that were like Chevy Vegas??
Gotta trust GM on this it was designed from bottom up with 0w20 in mind and certified.

Where's that paycheck??? It's a great engine with VERY few issues according to both myself (owner with 13k on my AT4) and a friend who's a master tech at the local GM dealership. No issues in the sub zero temps either. This is a BRAND NEW engine designed in Italy, tested in Germany and now built here. It's DESIGNED to run 0/20. This is NOT a HEAVY DUTY engine therefore does NOT require an HD oil. Typical owners are NOT buying this truck to haul heavy trailers everyday. YOU would have to be the moron to spend $70k like I did only to fill it with anything other viscosity that what it's spec'd for considering all of the actuators and such which are pressure dependent. It's a "Duramax" in name only.

Let me know when you want my address....

Oh, and I use 50/50 Delco Dexos D and Schaeffers 0/20. I did the first change at 3k, the second at 8k and the third is coming up at 15k. You CAN buy the oil at the dealership or on FleaBay. The filters are the same. No one makes an aftermarket yet for it.
LMAO!! 13k miles and you think you've done something? It isn't even broken in yet bud. Call me when you hit 100K and lets see if you haven't seen a TSB for thicker oil or an engine failure. I'll still wager a cold beer of your choice at a local pub!

LMAO!! 13k miles and you think you've done something? It isn't even broken in yet bud. Call me when you hit 100K and lets see if you haven't seen a TSB for thicker oil or an engine failure. I'll still wager a cold beer of your choice at a local pub!
Somehow, I'm with you on this one. :cool:

Back