0W-20 SynBlend?

Pennzoil Gold is the only one I have seen (and now a unicorn).

Any others that are readily attainable?

I would move up to xW30 syn-blend if I had to use W20 syn-blend.
Anything viscosity wise that low (xW20) better be full syn.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
I would move up to xW30 syn-blend if I had to use W20 syn-blend.
Anything viscosity wise that low (xW20) better be full syn.

I'd trust Pennzoil Gold, at least it's D1G2 , but otherwise I'd just go with Supertech Full Syn if I wanted a cheap 0w20.

You may want to google some information about Exxon's EHC Base Oils. Exxon's EHC Group II+ base stock raises the possibility that budget Dexos1 oils being sold at "Full Synthetic performance levels" are likely to be II+/III blends. The most recent EHC flier I have shows that a 54% II+/46%III blend can satisfy Dexos requirements. It also would not surprise me that these II+/III blends are being sold as full synthetics; after all, there is no industry accepted definition of synthetic....it is simply a performance level.

Looks like Valvoline and Castrol are the only two "commonly" available synblends. The others I have seen are not so easy to find and are either regional or obtained through uncommon outlets. I am surprised that a blend can meet the winter number of "0", unless of course, they are more synthetic than not and if that is the case, what is the point?

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I am surprised that a blend can meet the winter number of "0", unless of course, they are more synthetic than not and if that is the case, what is the point?

There are different "grades" of additive packages available - blenders have to market a good-better-best option in order to have market share in each segment.

Some OEM's have syn-blend 0W-20's such as Motorcraft and Honda. I suspect they are going the way of the dino and not sure why anyone would bother for the minuscule price difference...
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
You may want to google some information about Exxon's EHC Base Oils. Exxon's EHC Group II+ base stock raises the possibility that budget Dexos1 oils being sold at "Full Synthetic performance levels" are likely to be II+/III blends. The most recent EHC flier I have shows that a 54% II+/46%III blend can satisfy Dexos requirements. It also would not surprise me that these II+/III blends are being sold as full synthetics; after all, there is no industry accepted definition of synthetic....it is simply a performance level.

Great point TC ^^^^^^^

Shannow put out some information regarding this a couple of years ago. It was very interesting and it verifies what you have said here.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Mobil Delvac 1300 is sold as a conventional on the market but Mobil list it as a Blend on their website. I believe it is EHC based.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants.../engine-oils/synthetic-blend-diesel-oils

Originally Posted by odie
Years ago I think M.C. blend was 60/40 . Pennzoil 70/30 ? Or was it the other way around .
21.gif

At one time MC 5W20 was 60/40 and Pennzoil was supposedly all Group II+ with the exception of carrier.

I couldn't say on 0W-20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gene K
Originally Posted by odie
Years ago I think M.C. blend was 60/40 . Pennzoil 70/30 ? Or was it the other way around .
21.gif

At one time MC 5W20 was 60/40 and Pennzoil was supposedly all Group II+ with the exception of carrier.

I couldn't say on 0W-20.

I believe PYB could either be a II+ or a II/III blend. The last, dated, speculation I saw was that it was more likely to be a blend or some sort and GTL is relatively cheap and plentiful....

I talked to the Techs over the phone about those oils . Had to be well over 10 years ago . Could call or email them about current blends mix .

Back