Motorcraft Parts Are The Best

It's that time to do a trans filter and fluid change. The local auto parts stores want on average $6.99 per qt. of Mercon V trans fluid. And, a MC trans filter $23.99. I sure am glad that my son works for a Ford dealership.

MC.jpg

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
Wholesale "account", eh?
wink.gif

I don't take advantage of my son and his employee discount. If I need major parts I usually get them from Rock Auto. But when trans fluid is almost $2 more per qt. than what he can get it for, it's good that he works for Ford.
What I do is drain 4 qts. of fluid every 30K miles. Every 60K miles I drop the pan, change the filter, and add 4 qts. of Mercon V thans. fluid. I have been doing this since my truck was new (6 miles).
In 10K miles it will be time to do a rear differential fluid change. I use ST 75W140 synthetic fluid and a Fel-Pro gasket (RDS-55341).
thumbsup2.gif

Why not just get Supertech Mercon V which is $4.82/qt at WM? My understanding is that for a fluid to be labeled Mercon V, the mfr has to formulate it exactly per Ford's spec so the performance is going to meet Motorcraft.

There's also Maxlife which is compatible with Mercon V and is well tested among the group here.

Filter is $1.50 cheaper on Amazon. Mercon V for $5.67/qt by the case. Wholesale accounts at Ford don't get you much.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Except when they are fakes
Fake Motorcraft parts
31.gif

Are you saying that Ford sells fake MC parts?
confused2.gif

Anything is possible.

We don't. All of our parts come from Ford or a FAD (Ford Authorized Distributor). You have to use FADs for certain parts like batteries. Other parts it is easier to get from them, like you can buy spark plugs individually from a FAD, where from Ford they are sold in a case of 96. There are places that sell Motorcraft parts that are not FADs though, we don't use them.

Originally Posted by hatt
Filter is $1.50 cheaper on Amazon. Mercon V for $5.67/qt by the case. Wholesale accounts at Ford don't get you much.

Then there's shipping cost. You come out even, or ahead getting them from Ford.
And, I don't have to wait on them coming in the mail and getting damaged.
Oh, and I'm getting the trans fluid for $5.30 per qt.
35.gif

My wife had a preferred mechanic. When he said he had problems putting on Motorcraft pads and rotors because they are Chinese quality, I made the decision he will no longer be used by this house.

Originally Posted by dave1251
My wife had a preferred mechanic. When he said he had problems putting on Motorcraft pads and rotors because they are Chinese quality, I made the decision he will no longer be used by this house.

Some are and the way the labeling is done can be confusing. There are the old blue label brake pads/rotors that are now relabeled Motorcraft which most of the time come from not China. Those would be the ones with a base number of 2001, 2200, 1125, 1102, and 2C026 with a short number beginning with BRF and BRRF. Then there are the Motorcraft value ones that are made to compete with the Autozones of the world that are 2V001, 2V200 etc base numbers with the short numbers beginning with BR and BRR.

If it's a Ford like the muffstain GT below it will get only the appropriate level parts installed on it. Chinese parts are too good. Maybe Pakistan or Bangladesh sourced.
[Linked Image]

I just started using a motorcraft FL-400S filter on my 1MZ-FE Toyota. It's 1/3 longer than the specified Toyota filter. Thanks FoMoCo's Vulcan V6 from the nineties Tauruses!!!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:

It is always wise to avoid lesser quality parts, but I would not go so far as to say such items are "Chinese" quality. Many high quality parts are also made in China. It just depends how much (or how little) the American company is willing to pay the manufacturer for the parts.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

Some are and the way the labeling is done can be confusing. There are the old blue label brake pads/rotors that are now relabeled Motorcraft which most of the time come from not China. Those would be the ones with a base number of 2001, 2200, 1125, 1102, and 2C026 with a short number beginning with BRF and BRRF. Then there are the Motorcraft value ones that are made to compete with the Autozones of the world that are 2V001, 2V200 etc base numbers with the short numbers beginning with BR and BRR.

NBRR87 was the number.

NBRR87 was the number.

NBRR87 = Service Design. Think of these as their AMAM aftermarket equivalent, similar to ACDelco's Durastop line.

Originally Posted by The Critic

NBRR87 was the number.

NBRR87 = Service Design. Think of these as their AMAM aftermarket equivalent, similar to ACDelco's Durastop line.

Still better than the Duralast he swears by. Everything but Duralast is China quality according to him.

Still better than the Duralast he swears by. Everything but Duralast is China quality according to him.

Yeah, you needed a new mechanic. LOL!

Back