School me on 410 shotguns

Hello all...I'm thinking of buying a 410 pump shotgun....$300 or so for birds and range use.
Used is ok. Is there a manufacturer/year/model I should avoid????
Or will any model by a reputable manufacturer (Mossberg, Remington, Winchester, etc) be reliable????

Thanks in advance........

Have you done much shooting with shotguns?

Generally, unless you have shoulder issues, a 12 gauge is preferable. At that point, the 20 gauge would be a better option, I believe. I really wouldn't want to shoot skeet or trap with a .410.

.410 shells are more expensive than 12 or 20 gauge as well.

As for brands and types, the Remington 870 is a good,reliable shotgun that's been around for many years.

Originally Posted by drtyler
Have you done much shooting with shotguns?

Generally, unless you have shoulder issues, a 12 gauge is preferable. At that point, the 20 gauge would be a better option, I believe. I really wouldn't want to shoot skeet or trap with a .410.

.410 shells are more expensive than 12 or 20 gauge as well.

As for brands and types, the Remington 870 is a good,reliable shotgun that's been around for many years.

Some people prefer a .410 for skeet shooting because it's considerably more difficult. It's kind of an expert's gun.

That said, outside of that usage, I don't really see much else for them. A .22 is going to be superior for small game hunting, and a 12 or 20 for everything else.

Thanks for all comments......
I own a 12 gauge and it's a little more than I want, especially with rotator cuff surgery a couple of years ago.
I have fond memories of shooting a 410 during summers at the grandparents as a youth.
I'm not opposed to a 20 gauge based on the comments in the thread.
So same question - anything to avoid in 20 gauge or any specific models to chase.......or avoid????

I have a Stevens single shot .410 and a savage 22lr over .410. I love using the Stevens to shoot trap at our informal stand in a pasture and blast things get together. If I feel like being a smart alic I can throw with a hand thrower then nail it with the Stevens. Yeah the shells cost more but they are fun to shoot and doesn't hurt your arm.

I would love to have a Wingmaster 410. Would also like a 16 or a 28 gauge just for the fun of it.

Last edited:
I've got experience with mossburg maverick 88s and 500s along with 870s benelli novas and most gauges within that. My personal favorite is the 500 and in your case I'd recommend a 20 gauge over a .410 along with a light load to start. A full sized 20 gauge with a good recoil pad (I prefer the mossburg's over the others) should be relatively easy to handle. Or you if you happen to be ambidextrous as I am you can change shoulders if there is a problem.

Last edited:
I have 2 Remington's: an 870 and 1187 … and one Mossberg riot gun in 12's

My only other is a Mossberg 500 .410 … pretty much bought to travel to the camp with something less suspected in the off season or threatening to game wardens … and still a good snake charmer and minimalist self defense …
Good little gun … choke is pretty tight …

I am out of touch with shotguns, but would a gas operated semi-auto have less recoil than a pump, single or double barrel shotgun ? So maybe a 20 gauge semi-auto ?

I have a Mossberg 500 .410, and as others have said, it has a tight choke. I may have missed a grouse (twice) at embarrassingly close range shortly after I got it. Once I figured out that it's far from a spray and pray gun, I started hitting birds a lot more consistently. I do like that I don't have to pick a bunch of shot out of whatever I am hunting.

As compared to a Remington 870 12 gauge, I find something about the action of the Mossberg 500 to be a bit off-putting. It feels a bit clunky in comparison. However, that sensation hasn't translated to any reliability issues.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably look closely at a Remington 870 20 gauge.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I am out of touch with shotguns, but would a gas operated semi-auto have less recoil than a pump, single or double barrel shotgun ? So maybe a 20 gauge semi-auto ?

If theres a good one within price range, this.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken

Yes, gas operated shotguns have less recoil. I have a Remington 1100 12 ga, and even with 3" magnum shells the recoil isn't too bad.

Gas operated will probably cost a bit more than a pump.

Originally Posted by bcossa2001
Thanks for all comments......
I own a 12 gauge and it's a little more than I want, especially with rotator cuff surgery a couple of years ago.
I have fond memories of shooting a 410 during summers at the grandparents as a youth.
I'm not opposed to a 20 gauge based on the comments in the thread.
So same question - anything to avoid in 20 gauge or any specific models to chase.......or avoid????

Get a 20 that's not too light. 7 pounds or so. That way it won't kick so much.

IMO 20 is the sweet spot for shotguns. It can still be loaded to be effective for most things (including self defense, 20ga buckshot is no joke) but it's also easier to shoot than a 12. Usually I'd reccomend one of the youth model 20s, but they're lighter and kick more. I like them because they work great for short guys like me.

For particular models, I'd avoid Remington these days. Their QC has massively declined and I just wouldn't chance it. Mossberg/Maverick is very solid, and I generally like everything CZ makes. You should be able to get a new Maverick for under $300 and they're really pretty decent guns.

Last edited:
Back