Printers

Those Brother Lasers are usually $10-20 used on CL or OfferUp. I know many are leery of meeting strangers during COVID, but that is by far the best deal on a solid printer.

Originally Posted by paulri
I have that exact model. It has worked fine for 6 years now and is still going strong.

Originally Posted by Bud
I have had a HP P1102w laserjet. Great printer.

X3. I've been using the same P1102w for 10 years at work. That made me buy a refurbished model for home when I got tired of buying inkjet cartridges. It's still working perfectly after 5 years, and is much cheaper per page than inkjet.

According to Amazon, this is the current replacement for that model: HP LaserJet Pro M102w.

I will say that they cheaped out at work and my last replacement toner was not an HP. The print quality is not as good as the HP toners.

I just picked up a Canon LBP6030w for my mom for $84.99 shipped from Staples. She's recently taken a government job, and with the current state of affairs has been working from home. This means LOTS of documents. She went through a 2 pack of inkjet cartridges in less than a month, so I put my foot down pretty quick on that nonsense.

If you don't need color, and print rarely, then laser is the way to go. 100%.

Brother lasers are solid, and cheap. They also have good driver support, especially for non-Windows users.

Unfortunately, they've also gone to chipped toner cartridges, but there appear to be ways around it. My 11-year old Brother AIO still plugs along with cheap cartridges.

Those 20+ year old HP lasers were great, but ironically, were based on Canon print engines.

Another recommendation for the cheap B/W Brother Laser. We print maybe once a month, no more dried up cartridges after just a few pages. The toner lasts years for us and I think the refill for the larger capacity toner was maybe $50-$60. The scanner/copy feature is nice And I think it was only a $99 printer.

We have the Brother HL-L2370DW printer. Replacement generic ink on Amazon like $25 for 2 of them. Each does >3000 pages

Agree with Brother. I had one of their inkjet printers for years, MANY. Was more of a office size unit.
Thing is with inkjet as the OP plans on using it infrequently there is no way those ink cartridges will hold up from ANY brand. If not used enough the ink carts or printer heads WILL dry up and its a PITA.

Fast forward to today, I cured my problem forever with a B/W laser printer, just love it and the idea of no more inkjet issues. Unit I bought was a Canon MF445dw
I really have no need for color printer anymore, I mean if I am going to print a photo I am going to have it done at Shutterfly or a local store.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Blkstanger
Go to Tigerdirect.com. You can buy a laser for the same price. A few years ago I bought an HP Color Laser for $150 from them. Never looked back.

First of all Blkstanger, this is not your fault. You gave me the link to go to TIGER DIRECT (TD) and I chose to go there and buy from them on my own free will.
Since day one (5/20/2020) I have had nothing but problems with TD.. Even up until today, I am still having problems with them. I will NEVER, EVER deal with them again! IMHO, I think one of the Customer Reps still lives with his parents and they are running the company from his parents basement!
NEVER, EVER AGAIN! [censored] will freeze over before I deal with them again!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I think one of the Customer Reps still lives with his parents and they are running the company from his parents basement!

A lot of functions are ran from homes (and maybe basements) right now due to C-19.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I think one of the Customer Reps still lives with his parents and they are running the company from his parents basement!

A lot of functions are ran from homes (and maybe basements) right now due to C-19.

Let me be more specific then. They seem like a company that was STARTED in some kids' parents basement, and continues to run it there because he doesn't want to leave the confines of mommy and daddy's basement.

Here it is June 3rd and still no printer from TD! I was told it was to be delivered to my front door on June 1st. Then they said June 4th. Then they said June 12th. I called them earlier and now they're saying June 15th.
Whatever you do, DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH TIGER DIRECT! I have been waiting since May 22nd for my printer. All this company does is hamstrings you along and lies to you!
I have asked for a refund, but they said the financial dept. takes care of that. I have called them about 6-8 times to no avail.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Back