5.0 cummins turbo diesel Nissan Titan

What do you guys think/ know about the 5.0 cummins turbo diesel. Reliable? Repair costs over the long haul worry me as i keep my trucks a while. Is it easy to do a delete yourself other than tuning?

Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by spasm3
What do you guys think/ know about the 5.0 cummings turbo diesel.

I know there's no 'g' in Cummins.
grin2.gif

Thanks, lol missed that typo, and the edit time has expired.

Last edited:
Titan owner here, unfortunately the Cummins has not been very reliable in the 5.0 variant. Lots of replacements, check TitanTalk.com

Nissan only made the Cummins powered Titan XD for a few years. It may become difficult to find parts.

I don't own a Titan, but Car and Driver didn't particularly like their Cummins powered Titan:

"We had a poor experience with a Cummins-equipped Titan XD during our long-term evaluation. Our long-term 2016 Titan XD left us stranded twice within 40,000 miles. When it was running, we did not appreciate the diesel clatter, thirst for diesel exhaust fluid, and the powertrain's general lack of refinement."

I wouldn't buy a Diesel because of the emission equipment. My wife had a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 diesel and it was to date the best vehicle I ever owned and I have owned several Toyotas.The Ford was far superior. The wife used it to haul hay and dirt and tow the Horsies around to shows. I sold it in 2018 to get a truck with an auto trans because the wife said her knee hurts using the clutch [ a horse crash].I bought a 2018 F350 with a gas engine. The wife says the gas engine does fine and loves the truck

$10,000.00 less for the gas engine buys lots of gas.

I have no idea about the power plant in the Nissan. But in other applications, diesel motors manufactured by Cummins are viewed as good strong motors that are reliable for 10,000 hours of operation or more.

For some unknown reason my prior post was removed. It was factual, even the OP realized it was just a joking post...

At any rate, I know that the 6.7 Cummins I own has been trouble free. No problems with the emissions system either. Of course the 6.7 is an entirely different engine from the 5.0 in the Nissan.

Originally Posted by CT8
I wouldn't buy a Diesel because of the emission equipment. My wife had a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 diesel and it was to date the best vehicle I ever owned and I have owned several Toyotas.The Ford was far superior. The wife used it to haul hay and dirt and tow the Horsies around to shows. I sold it in 2018 to get a truck with an auto trans because the wife said her knee hurts using the clutch [ a horse crash].I bought a 2018 F350 with a gas engine. The wife says the gas engine does fine and loves the truck

$10,000.00 less for the gas engine buys lots of gas.

The one i'm looking at is new and less than the gas engines, i think they want to move it. I am concerned about emissions costs down the road.

Last edited:
There are reliable modern diesels...it's just the 5.0 Cummins isn't one of them.

Back