Front brake slide pin rubber bushing Jump to Latest

Hi,

I just replaced my front brakes and replaced the rubber bushing on the pins. I have a 2014 Mazda 3, only the bottom pin has a bushing, I lubed everything with silicone grease (Sil-Glyde) like it should be done but the pin with the bushing doesn't seem to move freely like the top one. It feels really tight and wont spring back when pushed. Is that normal for a brand new bushing?

Thanks

The bushing may be too large or is swollen. You can try cutting off a bit of the bushing (on one side) and this will help.

Originally Posted by The Critic
The bushing may be too large or is swollen. You can try cutting off a bit of the bushing (on one side) and this will help.

When I replaced the single pin bushings on my previous Caravan, I remember that one aftermarket set from a certain store (forget) fit better (looser) than the aftermarket bushings from another store. I think it was NAPA ones that fit better. I got lucky. It will be hard to buy different sourced ones, hoping to get a better fit.

I like the idea of shaving some of the rubber off. Too much grease, as mentioned, is also a possibility. Good luck.

If the pin came out easily when first removed, the bushing shouldn't be swollen. If that's the case you've most likely just put too much grease and are now trying to effectively compress that while pushing the pin in. Take a q-tip and swab out some of the grease out of the bore and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Rubber bushings don't swell as much as the metal bore rusts. I've seen this before, generally you need to use a round wire brush and clean out the socket for the bushing.

Had this happen to me in the 2006 Corolla. Either too much lube on the pin, or an air pocket built up when you pushed the pin back in. Get yourself a small pick or screwdriver. Pull back to the flexible "accordion like" slide pin boot on the end of Caliper bracket as you push the pin all the way in and in effect, your burping the air out from behind that seal. Release the pick and spin the caliper pin in its bore to evenly distribute all the grease.
Kinda hard to explain, but easier to show so I hope you understand what I mean...
Best of luck.

Remove the slide pin and clean off most of the Sil-Glyde. Get something (rolled-up paper towel, Q-Tips, etc) and clean out the slide pin's mating bore hole and hit it with brake cleaner when you've cleaned it out as best you can. Re-apply the Sil-Glyde but only use a small amount - a 'film' coating is adequate. Then push/pull it in and out and pull on the rubber boot to release any trapped air.

Clean the bore with paper towels wrapped around a screwdriver or a soft nylon/steel/brass bore brush. Use a little brake cleaner to break up the old lube and to clean it up finally.

I like Toyota's Rubber Grease or Dow 111 - a thin smear is all you need.

Back