Horsepower
220 hp
Fuel economy
Up to 18/25 mpg (city/highway)
Fuel tank capacity
19 gal
Transmission
4-Speed

Wifes mom just gave us this, with 71,000 miles, its a nice ride,,reminds me of the 60s when cars were large and smooth driving...

Last edited:
They are great rides. I still would love to find one. I personally prefer the 98-02 Whales but the 03+ have a lot more performance options, especially from ADTR.

Many of the black car limo companies used Lincolns and Mercury Grand Marquis for many 100's of thousand of miles of service in my area. There were many garages that specialized in repairing these vehicles for the owners and as a result competition kept the repair prices way down. Virtually all of these vehicles have hit the crusher after reaching their maximum lifespan.

Crusher? Not mine! My daily driver has been a 1994 Lincoln Towncar since I bought it in 2009 with 86k miles. Now has 187k miles and runs and shifts perfect. Leather, cold a/c and looks like a well cared for 3 or 4 year old car. No plans to replace. Panther cars are LONG lived vehicles. Except for the power windows. Prepare to repair every few years.

Originally Posted by Powerglide
Crusher? Not mine! My daily driver has been a 1994 Lincoln Towncar since I bought it in 2009 with 86k miles. Now has 187k miles and runs and shifts perfect. Leather, cold a/c and looks like a well cared for 3 or 4 year old car. No plans to replace. Panther cars are LONG lived vehicles. Except for the power windows. Prepare to repair every few years.

At one time my entire family had 5.0 and 4.6 Panthers. Zero issues with power windows on all of them. Probably because everyone constantly left the a/c on.

Watch the intake manifold for coolant leaks. The older ones will all let go eventually.

My father in law had two Panther's, 96 and 09 Town Cars. Both had aluminum wheels that had bead sealing issues and excessive parasitic battery drain. Both would have a low tire and a dead battery down if left sitting for a week. He put an honest 300K miles on the 96 before upgrading to the newer one. The 96 still ran strong even with indifferent maintenance, but it wasn't shiny and new enough looking for him so he upgraded.

Mine has original window motors but we have had to fix AC twice.

Those service vehicles by me mostly all had north of 400K miles (and some well north!) before they hit the crusher.

Just drove our Mercury 100 miles over 2 mountains to Chattanooga....Now with 71000 on it all is still well....gets about 25 mpg now on the road...

Back