iPhone6S battery Q

How fast should the battery run down? I've noticed shorter life recently, so I took a couple of snaps of the usage. Battery health reads at 85% but I did not buy this new and it's possible that it's already had a battery change. Seems to kinda run down quickly at the end, but that might be an illusion, based on what it shows.

Quick look turns up iOS 13 has shortened battery life? Maybe that's it?

Not sure how reading apple news can kill a battery so quickly. Reading the news for 16 minutes takes 38% of the battery? Heck running the GPS for an hour took less! I took it off charger at 7am, read the news for 16m apparently, took a bike ride and at 3:40 the low power indicator came on at 20%. I made sure to clear MMR after the ride as I've noticed it will run in the background for a long time. Edit: nevermind, it's not using 38% of the battery, reading the news for 21 minutes used 38% of the battery usage. Still. Rapid drain if you ask me.

Also, what is the difference between on and off screen time? Time spent running apps in the background?

I'm thinking I've got nothing to lose from ordering at $25 battery.

It seems to drop linearly, although the sudden drop at the end I was entering in calories--screen on, but it dropped kinda quickly if you ask me.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
It is probably battery natural aging. I replaced my iPhone6's battery as well. There's a 20 or so % chance it doesn't work but usually if you buy the better battery from Amazon they tends to be good for another few years.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
It is probably battery natural aging. I replaced my iPhone6's battery as well. There's a 20 or so % chance it doesn't work but usually if you buy the better battery from Amazon they tends to be good for another few years.

That's what I'm thinking, and after replacing the 6's battery I'm thinking an 6S is going to be a snap. But if it's normal for it to go flat after what, 8 hours of light usage, then it's not justified.

Touch the screen where it says "battery health". If the percentage is below about 85 percent it's going to be weak. When I had a 6s plus mine was replaced at 88 percent and I could tell a huge difference.

Apple says that once the battery health % reaches mid-80s and lower, that usage time will decline noticeably. Apple replaces batteries in these for $50 now so I wouldn't bother with 3rd-party repair shops or DIY (because the battery you get, no matter where it's from, will be garbage compared to an Apple battery).

Forgot to say, battery health says 85%.

Sounds like it's time for a new battery. Not sure when the stores will be open again? I don't think I can send this out for repair, not with MFA turned on and using this phone. I think...

It's 10 minutes and $25 to change at home. Too bad I can't buy a genuine battery, I'd spring the extra coin for that.

Originally Posted by mk378
That app that runs the GPS all the time is what's killing you. GPS takes a lot of power.

Was only on for an hour. Then I made sure to kill it. But I don't get how reading the news for 16 minutes is more of a battery hog than using GPS for an hour. Screen time is quite the hog, apparently.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Apple says that once the battery health % reaches mid-80s and lower, that usage time will decline noticeably. Apple replaces batteries in these for $50 now so I wouldn't bother with 3rd-party repair shops or DIY (because the battery you get, no matter where it's from, will be garbage compared to an Apple battery).

+1

Take to the Apple store, Verizon, AT&T, etc to get your battery replaced. Did this with my wife's iPhone 6S. Do a search on "Apple iPhone 6s battery lawsuit"

Originally Posted by JHZR2
What is the health percentage of the battery as reported by iOS?

85%.

Condemnation critieria for Li-ion is usually 20% reduction in nameplate capacity, or an increase in impedance associated with discharge rates and conduction voltages. Since an iphone isnt a high drain device, the former is the more important one... Youre getting there...

Originally Posted by supton
Not sure when the stores will be open again?
Check here. They say they are starting to reopen their stores. None around me say they're open yet or give any opening date that they're planning. Best Buy is an official Apple repair provider so they can replace the battery, using an official Apple battery, too. They say they've got stores open and are opening more all the time. For a repair, I'm sure they can/will do this as a curbside drop-off and pick-up when done.

I don't think I can send this out for repair, not with MFA turned on and using this phone. I think...
I suspect won't impact the repair process but you would be in a bind if you need to securely login/authenticate and this is your only device that is set up to allow it.

It's 10 minutes and $25 to change at home. Too bad I can't buy a genuine battery, I'd spring the extra coin for that.
For "the extra coin", let Apple do it and you'll get a genuine battery.

This is my only MFA device. Not sure if work would let me set something else up also... I should ask on that.

Just put in an aftermarket battery into the wife's iPhone (after hers swelled and quit), so it'd be kinda snobbish of me to do otherwise. Very easy job to do.

Just checked and it is an Apple battery in my phone--bit rough getting in there, so maybe it was a late model and never been opened. Wife's had an aftermarket one in it already (perhaps there's a tie between aftermarket and failure, eh?). I'm a bit surprised, as I bought it used only a few months ago.

I might just wait a few weeks and see what happens. Maybe the Apple store will open up again, and I can schedule a replacement.

Edit: IT says MFA only works on one device, so if this goes down I've got problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JHZR2
What is the health percentage of the battery as reported by iOS?

85%.

I replaced my iPhone 7's battery at 85% and noticed a huge difference after doing so. Cost $60 or so at a phone repair shop. Worked great ever since, and that was about 6 months ago.

I wouldn't even bother replacing the battery. OS update support ends for the 6S this autumn. If you are a savvy shopper, you can find the new iPhone SE for around $200. A new phone with 5 years of updates and significantly more power sounds more attractive to me than $50-100 for a battery and an old, insecure phone.

Put an ifixit battery in for $30. Still a great secondary device.

the battery performance will decline noticeably below 88% battery health.

The Battery Health figure is an estimate at best, and should only be treated as a rough guide. That said, 85% is closer to the end than the beginning, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the battery replaced if you intend to keep the phone.

Apple charges $49 for a battery replacement, so if there is an Apple Store within reach (and reopened), they are the best option.

Aside from a genuine battery (OE parts have become essential with newer models), they offer the safety net of a "white box" replacement if anything goes wrong with the repair (it happens), or IIRC, within 90 days of the repair. So basically, if they screw it up, they'll replace the phone with a refurbished replacement unit, which will have a new battery and outer shell. Despite being an AASP, I don't think Best Buy can do that, and your indie repair shop certainly can't.

I had my battery replaced in my 6s at an Apple store, there was some improvement but the battery life was still terrible. I kept it about another year after the replacement and finally bought a new IPhone 11 Pro Max. This new phone blows my 6s out of the water. My 6s was a good phone, it lasted me 4 years... but after I was forced to update to IOS 11 (for some apps to work with 64 bit only) it really took a turn for the worst. I think the smaller versions of the phones tax the batteries with higher current draw relative to their battery size than the plus or max versions of the phones. My 6s with a new battery was still underperforming my brothers 6s plus with a 3 year old original battery that was only showing ~85% battery health. He is currently still using his 6s plus on its original battery at about 4 years old.
I work outside a lot and if it got even slightly cold my 6s would shut down, the battery couldn't supply enough current to keep the phone on in cold temps (40°F or below) even at 100% SOC. I really think the 6s has a weak battery for its size, I've read on other forums and reddit about other people complaining about the same issues I had.

I try to keep my phone between 40 and 80% charged, my original 6S battery was still showing over 80% battery health with over 900 charge cycles (~3 years old at the time) on it. The apple store rep told me that they usually start seeing battery issues around 4-500 cycles.

I think I'll just buy an aftermarket battery. I get the arguments and all, but I just don't see them adding up.

An SE for $200? I'm dubious. If I have to sign up for a phone plan then that is not the cheaper option--I pay $7/month for Tracfone.

Dropping $399 for a new phone may be tempting but I'm dubious about getting my money's worth. It'll need a battery every 1-2 years by the sound of it, and so over a 5 year lifespan that is what, another $150-300 of cost on top? Expensive little toys.

Back