1980's Performance Car Flashbacks

1980's Dodge Daytona/Chrysler Laser.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Daytona
The Daytona originally used the 2.2 L Chrysler K engine in normally aspirated or turbocharged form. Power outputs are 93 and 142 hp (69 and 106 kW) respectively. The 100-horsepower (75 kW), 2.5-litre K engine was added for 1986. In 1985, the 2.2-L Turbo I engine's horsepower was increased to 146 hp (109 kW). The 1984 Daytona was available in three trim lines: standard, Turbo and Turbo Z. Total production was 49,347. The Daytona Turbo was on Car and Driver magazine's 10Best list for 1984. Both the Daytona and Chrysler Laser were available with the Chrysler electronic voice alert system through 1987. A performance oriented "Shelby" version of the Daytona was introduced in 1987.

25725826313_2fa51cc073_b.jpg

43516.jpg

Last edited:
My sister bought a new 1989 Shelby Daytona Turbo back in the day. It was red and silver. It had all the gadgets. Onboard computer, adjustable bolsters in the seats, etc. It was a fast and great looking car, but it started having electrical problems after a couple years. The turbo was even replaced under warranty. After that she traded it in.

I had the LeBaron GTS which was the 2.2 turbo with the 146hp and the 5 speed. After it blew the 3rd engine with a blown head gasket I got rid of it in '96. Previous owner had put in an aftermarket turbo computer so not sure how much power it really had. Was looking for something similar afterwards but they all felt a little slower so I guess it worked. It had some rust back then, probably wouldn't expect it make it another 24 years. Mine had the voice alert too, said things like car door was ajar, oil pressure low (said that all the time if you didn't start the car right away.) There was a switch in the glove box that shut that off. I left it off mostly unless people were curious, then I'd just flip it on for fun and then shut it off afterwards. It was fun driving with the 5 speed. Had torque steer so you had to hold onto the wheel if you nailed it in first gear.

Best friend's older brother had a Laser, I swear it was fast....but I don't think it was the turbo version. It was the first car that I saw with a digital speedo.

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
Best friend's older brother had a Laser, I swear it was fast....but I don't think it was the turbo version. It was the first car that I saw with a digital speedo.

I let a friend borrow mine once. He had a reputation for taking the car to top speed and I can't remember if he said it did 120 or 125. He had a Saleen mustang at one point and he said yeah, it did 155. He'd get other cars like a BMW 750il and after a while whenever he got something, he'd say yeah it does whatever the top speed was. I was with him once and he nailed and I think we were doing around 150, but only for a minute or two so I don't doubt he did it. Can't believe he never got a ticket for going that fast but I guess he was smart about it.

I owned an Omni GLHS (Shelby version) poor fit and finish and numerous electrical bugs. sold it after a few years as I needed a reliable daily driver

One of my best friends and his sister both had one. AWESOME cars!! His was a standard and hers was an automatic.

Originally Posted by VQLT
I owned an Omni GLHS (Shelby version) poor fit and finish and numerous electrical bugs. sold it after a few years as I needed a reliable daily driver

Oh yeah, those were small. I think GLH was goes like heck and the GLHS was goes like heck some more. I still have 6 quarts case of Mobil 1 5w30 for my LeBaron GTS, never got around to using it after I got rid of it. Maybe it's still good, it's from the 90s.

Originally Posted by BigGeo
Here's the car I ordered in ‘87. Buick Grand National. Beautiful.
66169497-770-0@2X.jpg

^^One of my dream cars!

The car to pick up chicks in, the venerable Porsche 944. Serengeti sunglasses and Rolex required.

The Porsche 944 is a sports car manufactured by German automobile manufacturer Porsche from 1982 to 1991. A front-engine, rear-wheel drive mid-level model based on the 924 platform, the 944 was available in coupé or cabriolet body styles, with either naturally aspirated or turbocharged engines.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_944

A-Brief-History-of-the-Porsche-944-10.jpg

It's hard to believe we're seeing "1980s" and "performance cars" in the same sentence. Other than the Buick GNX, the cars of that era were shall we say (ahem) slow.

I had a 1986 Volvo 740 Turbo. Bought it new. Many considered it a performance car in that era, but it wasn't really, by current (or 1960s) standards.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
It's hard to believe we're seeing "1980s" and "performance cars" in the same sentence. Other than the Buick GNX, the cars of that era were shall we say (ahem) slow.

I had a 1986 Volvo 740 Turbo. Bought it new. Many considered it a performance car in that era, but it wasn't really, by current (or 1960s) standards.

While they might only have had 146hp, they did have a decent amount of torque. I had my LeBaron up on a truck scale once (work had one), weighed 2600 pounds. These days most cars are pushing 3800-4000+ pounds so even with 200+ hp, still weighs a lot more. Mine didn't have air bags, or side impact protection and of course 4 cylinders are lighter than V6s of today.

I always felt the turbos gave you more acceleration. Pretty much dead under 2500 rpms. Once you get the revs up, you get a nice kick. It could really take off on the highway if you dropped it from 5th to 4th gear and nailed it.

I thought about picking one up for nostalgia sakes, but yeah, my everyday ho hum sedan with 268hp is faster than those turbos of old, with maybe the exception of the Grand National. That car had power, but of course the interior is very dated by today's standards.

Back