Printers

Just recently my 25 year old printer finally gave up. It was an HP DJ1420.
Amazon and EBAY are selling too many used ones at the price I'm willing to pay. All I need is a plain Jane, no frills, printer ONLY. Best Buy has several in my price range. Any printer gurus out there? I would like your opinion on the printer below.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-off...dy-printer-black/4363407.p?skuId=4363407

Ink jets eat you alive in ink costs.

If you can do black and white only a Brother All-in-one laser or laser rocks for around $99. Mine you can even apple(air) print or android print (friend used) without any issues beyond normal PC and MAC printing over the wifi network.

Agreed with the Brother laser. HP and Epson hardware is junk. They sell the printer at a lower price and gouge in ink costs.

Go to Tigerdirect.com. You can buy a laser for the same price. A few years ago I bought an HP Color Laser for $150 from them. Never looked back.

Probably fine. I generally buy from Costco, as their prices and warranties are good.
I think I bought our last printer, a Cannon Color Laser, from Amazon.

Laser printer are coming way down in price. I got tired of print cartridges drying out.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Ink jets eat you alive in ink costs.

If you can do black and white only a Brother All-in-one laser or laser rocks for around $99. Mine you can even apple(air) print or android print (friend used) without any issues beyond normal PC and MAC printing over the wifi network.

Like this one?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/brothe...et-printer-black/6239806.p?skuId=6239806

Get a Canon Laser B&W, It can use refill toner that only cost around $15-$20 each for 1000 pages or so.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
Go to Tigerdirect.com. You can buy a laser for the same price. A few years ago I bought an HP Color Laser for $150 from them. Never looked back.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Just a plain Jane printer only. Thanks for the link Blkstanger!
thumbsup2.gif

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9897441&CatId=242

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Just a plain Jane printer only. Thanks for the link Blkstanger!
thumbsup2.gif

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9897441&CatId=242

That's ink printer. You want laser if you don't want to spend a small fortune on ink cartridges.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

thumbsup2.gif

That's ink printer. You want laser if you don't want to spend a small fortune on ink cartridges.

I barely print on average 5-10 pages per month, if that.

thumbsup2.gif

I see. I that case ink is fine.

thumbsup2.gif

The problem with ink is that they dry out if you don't use them. At least these days the print head is part of the cartridge so when it dries out, you just get another cartridge. With a laser, even if you don't use it for months, the toner doesn't go bad and you get a lot more pages out of laser. Our office laser printer just died and I was about to get another one, usually when you're in the $100-$300 range, you can get a decent one where the cartridge can be good for 3000-10,000 pages and whereas the factory one might be $200, you can get an aftermarket one good for $50. Much cheaper per page.

In my experience that's the worst usage pattern for inkjet printers. I'm like you, I hardly ever use the printer except a few times a month, if that. I found I was getting about 3-6 months out of each expensive inkjet cartridge and I tried a handful of brands over the years and had the same results. If you don't print often the ink will dry and then the cartridge head requires repeat cleanings and primings to output good quality. Each cleaning cycle wastes a ton of ink. If I ever got 150 pages out of an inkjet cartridge (regardless of printer or brand) I considered myself lucky.

I switched to laser a few years ago and never looked back. I picked up a Color Samsung (they've since been bought out by HP) at Newegg on sale for about $150, but that was 4-5 years ago. Know how many toner cartridges I've used in that time? ONE. Used up the starter set (you only get about 100 pages) and I'm still on the first replacement set with approx. 50-75% toner remaining depending on the cartridge.

Toner is a powder not a liquid ink so the shelf life is increased enormously. If you want a simple printer spend the extra $100-200 (depending on if you want B&W or color) on a laser and you won't regret it. It will pay for itself in the first year from the ink you won't be buying
smile.gif

You want a cheap laser printer.

They put little sensors in the toner cartridges to try and prevent you from using aftermarket cartridges. Laser is the way to go if you just need black and white. For an extra few dollars more you can get an all in one with copy and scan capability. If you need that.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
Get a Canon Laser B&W, It can use refill toner that only cost around $15-$20 each for 1000 pages or so.

Totally agree.

After suffering with more make/model ink jets that I care to remember since the mid 1990's, I finally went with a B/W laser about a year ago. A Canon imageclass MF232w. It was cheap too. Around $79 online. It's been flawless and has been used a lot for an average household at this point.

Last edited:
Definitely go with a monochrome laser printer. I've got a 20 year old HP LaserJet sitting on my desk that just keeps chugging along. 100K pages printed without any work done to it at all. I feed it cheap paper, and refill the cartridges at least once before they start streaking, all with very little fuss. 5000 page toner cartridges are < $20 on fleaBay.

I have that exact model. It has worked fine for 6 years now and is still going strong.

Originally Posted by Bud
I have had a HP P1102w laserjet. Great printer.

Back