Quality Lug Nuts

McGard. Made in Orchard Park, NY. Within view of an NFL stadium, Buffalo Bills. Had to throw that in. I used to drive by twice a day when I lived there. Guaranteed for life, I think. I had a set over 20 years and sold them with the rims, no rust. Many applications, not just for custom wheels. I need to get for my new Mazda, factory nuts rusted over winter.

The GM lug nuts with the screw-on plastic caps have been the best design, and the most reliable lug nuts I've seen, over the last 17 years that I've been changing tires, on any vehicle.

Last edited:
If someone would design, develop, and market slip-on plastic caps for regular lug nuts, that would be awesome. The have been out there for many years on German car style lug bolts. The only little trick is trying figure out to takes to remove some of them off, which requires a special tool. Built in anti-theft device I guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Traction
I despise those spline drive lug nuts, unless that is all that will fit an aftermarket wheel. The socket is very thin, and will get destroyed with an impact, plus if you break it, you are SOL. At least with a 3/4 hex you could easily find help. Also addressing an earlier post finding 99 cent lug nuts, they will work if you don't mind rusty nuts a couple years later after the chrome falls off, and you have to pound the socket on those too.

Yeah, I don't ever use impact wrenches on my lug nuts. 1/2" drive ratchet and torque wrench only. The spline drive socket doesn't appear that it would stand up to impact drivers as it is very thin. The lug nuts themselves are an aluminum alloy (Duraluminumâ„¢?) or something.

I thought I was the only one with a Fusion that thought the lug nuts were very poor quality. With routine tire rotations they seem to be deforming. My impact socket seems to get hard to remove the lug nut out of from all of them.

I got some Gorilla ones for my Liberty 2 years ago and they still look flawless through 2 WI winters. About half the price of McGuard. I'm happy with them so far.

I had great luck with McGards on a few cars, and also their service is exceptional (I broke a lock key, and they Purolated/next day a new one out to me free.) Gorilla on the other hand didn't least one winter before rusting to crap, and their service I couldn't even get an answer from at all!

Yep. I worked for McGard many years ago. Wonderful company. You wouldn't believe the steps they went through for quality- atleast at that time. Quality materials, heat treating, plating, QC checks, etc.. You pay for all that though.

Thank you. Good to know it is a decent company, I try to chose who gets my money.
===============================

I got the original Yota lugnuts for my cruisers from Partsouq in UAE. They have great service and very reasonable worldwide 2-day shipping via DHL.Plenty of European OEM parts as well. In some cases they beat any aftermarket from RA, in some not.

Mcguard gets another vote from me. Quality products and Customer Service was excellent in helping me order a new key for the locks that came on my Eclipse from the original owners. Plus i think they are still made in New York as well.

Back