Anyone NOT have a problem with Jiffy Lube type places?

Yeah, that's tough. When I got too busy I used to go to the dealership. Noticed my oil level was down and still dark. I brought out a new quart of oil to show them the difference and they still insisted they changed it. Then I looked at their oil change crew - no longer ASE professionals, all youngsters. That was the end of going to the dealer - back to doing it myself.

Enough about me - could there be an oil change mechanic or local mechanic that is reputable? Instead of mass-production dealerships and quickie joints?

I never had a singe issue with Jiffy Lube since I've never gone to them...
smile.gif

On serious note - do it for the older friend, change their oil, be the friend you claim to be.
Or send the person to a good independent shop.

Originally Posted by dubber09
smile.gif

Beat me to it!

I have to think, ya only hear the horror stories online. If they were as bad as they say, they would have gone out of biz long ago.

If worried I wonder if Walmart would be better. Less pressure, albeit longer wait time, but roll it into a shopping trip.

If you personally know of a good jiffy lube that you could PERSONALLY vouch for then send them that way. The problem is, I don't know of ANY 'quick lubes' I could refer someone too in good conscious. I know of some independent shops that I would refer someone too, and I am in school getting my Doctorate, so, typically I tell my fellow classmates to stop by the house and I will do it for them if they buy the oil and filter. But, that's just me.

I don't have issues using them; i have had issues, however, using them.

Corner garage changes oil too; Just decide if a person who has a vested stake in a business is worth the extra $$$; why race to the bottom? JMO

I shy away from giving this kind of advice...You could just suggest you will look online at whatever quick lube has best review.
But i wouldn't offer any guarantee.
I also think most of the fear of using these places is overblown. There are some bad actors, but generally they will do an ok job for non-anal retentive people.

It really is hit or miss with any kind of service whether it's a quick lube, dealership, the corner garage or a DIYer. I've seen good work AND crappy work from all of the above.

Many, many years ago (when I was in college), I worked part time at an express lube. Most of the problems I saw were caused by DIYers (like trying to remove the drain plug with pliers) who then brought their vehicle to us to fix AND/OR to blame. Strangely, they could never produce a receipt, nor were they in the system.

Ask around locally.

Originally Posted by supton
I have to think, ya only hear the horror stories online. If they were as bad as they say, they would have gone out of biz long ago.

This is very true. I'm sure that over 99% of the time, they do a perfectly good job. A single location can do 100+ oil changes a day and do the people who are in and out, satisfied, and have no issues tell others how well it went ? Nope !

I think the level of service depends on the owner/management of each store. I have gone to the quickie places a few times and never had any problems. Then a coworker told me about JL forgetting to refill her oil...after they bought her a new engine the car was fine.

I've not had a problem with the exception of a Q-Lube in the late 90's. It would purposely underfill by half a quart and tell customers after the service was done the auto was consuming half a quart of oil between changes.

In the nearly quarter of century since then no issues and Q-LUBE was adsorbed by Jiffy Lube long ago.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by dubber09
smile.gif

Beat me to it!

If worried I wonder if Walmart would be better. Less pressure, albeit longer wait time, but roll it into a shopping trip.

I've used those places in the past. I like to use the old saying, trust but verify. I used to just check the oil afterwards to make sure it was clear and at the right amount and I'd also glance at the filter to see if it was different that the old one. Never really had a big issue with it except they'd always want to check the air filter and I eventually told them not to bother, I just changed it. One time they didn't tighten all the clips to the air filter. But as I checked it afterwards, no big deal. At the time I didn't really care that much about the car and didn't have the time/space to do it myself.

I take my company Escape to the same Jiffy Lube every time. Good guys, good kids and they always put the screws back in the under cover.

That said, I have seen differences (for the worse) between locations and purposely hold off until I can make it to my JL.

I remember the opening of a Jiffy Lube in my home town many years ago. It was the first time I had ever seen one, and as I crossed the street one morning to stop by the diner for breakfast, a kid rode up on a bicycle to open the doors for business that day.

Originally Posted by RyanY
I think the level of service depends on the owner/management of each store. I have gone to the quickie places a few times and never had any problems. Then a coworker told me about JL forgetting to refill her oil...after they bought her a new engine the car was fine.

This. Our local Jiffy Lube was horrible.
Relentless upselling. Unneeded services pushed.
Not using brand of oil specified. Not completing all tasks indicated with the service.
Caught them red handed with the last two things mentioned.
Led to a phone call with the owner. Free OC. "Come back next time, we'll correct it. It'll never happen again."
Went back for the OC. More of the same garbage. Never went back.
Others must have felt the same. Place closed. Building bulldozed.
Probably the best of the quick lube places that I have found have been Valvoline. They are consistent and generally low key with the upsells.
Older friend would probably be better servid with a trusted local, independent garage where all factions of maintenance could be addressed.

I like Valvoline Instant Oil Change because you sit in the car while they do it.

I'm sure there are many people who have never had an issue at a quick lube shop. Problem is, the people who do have problems will go to the nearest mountaintop and sing about it, for good reason. So the problems sound more common than they actually are. In my mind, once is all it takes and I am not a particularly lucky person.

I wouldn't take my kid's little red wagon to any of those places. I could name several friends that have had absolutely nightmarish things happen to them at Iffy lube and such places. Oil filters not tightened; fell off 1/2 block down the street...Current model year custom wheels rotated and lugs not tightened, ruined $600 wheel...drain pan under vehicle not removed prior to lowering car off lift and it BROKE the tail housing off the transmission...Does your friend want a minimum wage worker messing with the lifeblood of the engine? My two cents is find a local independent shop who will be grateful for the work. Rant over.

Back