Discount Tire guarantee, they really honor it

Long-ish story, but in the end, I am really pleased with Discount Tire and their satisfaction guarantee (if ever you're not satisfied, please feel free to bring it back).

I bought a set of Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus in the OEM 20" size for my Flex last Black Friday. They were mounted and balanced at that time, but they were not put on the car because I run a winter set of tires and wheels. I switched them on March 24th of this year and noticed that they vibrated pretty badly. OK, I brought them back to where I bought them and they told me that they were pretty far out of balance. Road Force values were good, they were just balanced wrong.

I still noticed some vibration so I brought them to a different Discount Tire store where they proclaimed that the balance was still off, so they rebalanced them again. This time it worked as they ran really smooth finally.

However, I noticed that these tires vibrated a little when they were cold, and it didn't go away until I had driven a few miles. It happened every time I ran them cold which I had not experienced with two previous sets of Yokohama's or my winter tires. After 800 miles of dissatisfaction I called Discount Tire and said that I wanted to take them up on their guarantee. To my actual surprise, the store manager did not even flinch or hesitate and told me that he would give me a 100% refund on the Pirelli's, even though I bought them last year.

I bucked up and spent a few more dollars and got a set of Michelin's which I swore that I would never buy again, but they run smooth and Discount Tire did a great job Road Forcing and balancing them the first time. They had me in and out in one hour.

I'm not sure what happened at the first store, whether the techs were not trained enough, equipment was not maintained enough, or somebody was having a bad day. Shame too, because the first store is 2 miles from my house and the second is 8 miles further.

Yup they are great and have been really competitive since people can buy tires online for cheaper nowadays. I always get excellent service from them.

I'm sort of the opposite. Bought a set of tires from DT last August. In late December I took the vehicle in to have first rotation. The tech cross threaded four lugs and one was so bad he sent me on my way without a lug nut on one wheel. Found it two days later. Had the local dealership replace the lugs and DT did foot the bill, as they should have. BUT not too keen on having them touch one of my vehicles again. I usually do my own simple work like oil changes and rotations for this reason. Sure not all are this way, but I haven't figured out a way to make sure every time.

I had new tires installed then 2 days later I ran over a nail in an area of the tire they won't fix. They gave me a new tire for $30.00 I think he just paid for the road hazard at that time.

I don't buy the road hazard because it's like half the cost of a tire for four coupons and I prefer to take my chances

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I don't buy the road hazard because it's like half the cost of a tire for four coupons and I prefer to take my chances

Around here, DT's road hazard is $20/tire. What are you buying, $40-50 tires ??

I even bought their road hazard protection for dealer-installed tires on my wife's car. The dealer installed brand new Bridgestones on it while it sat on their lot. Because I buy all of our tires from DT, I took it there for a rotation and balance that I intended to pay for but they did it for free. I asked about their road hazard and they said it's available for any tires, no matter where you bought them. I do suspect they might refuse it for older, poor-condition tires though.

I am happy with all my Direct Tire transactions. They are very price competitive and offer a high level of "pre" and "post" sale support.

They processed a tread wear warranty claim for me last year and I was completely satisfied with their process and support.

Whether Direct Tire Direct or my local store, they go way beyond the norm and have always exceeded my expectations with the service level provided.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman

If you own an AWD and have 1/2 tread gone and you get a big nail in the sidewall and they have to replace the tire, you will get all 4 of them as part of the road hazard since they have to be all the same diameter for the AWD system. It just nor always just one tire that gets replaced with that warranty.

Have you ever tried to claim road hazard and got 4 replacements?
I think they try to replace just one.

Krzys

I've used DT for 25+ years and have always been happy except for this last time. Don't make the mistake of ordering tires weeks in advance. That's what did.

It was for my son's car and his first set of tires. When we got home ( 3 miles later) I inspected the tires. They were scuffed and most of the little rubber "spikes" were gone even on the turning edge. I suspect they found some tires that someone didn't like and returned them. I received almost new tires and I paid for brand new tires. I should have talked to the manager but I didn't. I'll probably go elsewhere next time.

I am done with them. Just yesterday I put on Tiguan Michelin Pilot A/S3+ in Costco. Every tire I purchased in Costco was always balanced properly, never had to come back. DT? Every purchase requires coming back. In January I ordered Continental Viking7 in DT with wheels and TPMS kit. Got car there, they put tires, my TPMS light is constantly on. Go back, they start to lecture me about TPMS and BMW. At that point I started to loose my composure, but I just said: OK, let's give it a day. Next day, my wife is working during the day, older one was out of daycare due to having fever day before. 3 year old and 10 month old in a car, and before leaving I see something strange with valves on tires. Turns out, they completely forgot to install TPMS, on ALL 4 wheels. Two kids in the car, get there, I tell guy TPMS is missing, he said: impossible. Anyway, they take car put those TPMS sensors, i hit the road, tires shaking. At that point I just went to Costco and paid $20 for balancing, and turns out one wheel has run out. Again next day back to DT etc, etc.
Last year I ordered TPMS through DT for Tiguan, they installed three different brands and finally after 2 months of back and forth, they put OE as their replacement ones just do not work. Of course, those 2 months they were trying to convince me that problem is TPMS module, although snow tire wheels were working perfectly.
I just do not understand people in need to be please with things like: they meet me outside and they are nice, while they are incompetent at best.

Last edited:
It sounds like you found a DT that is staffed by incompetent employees. I know there are some well-run DT's out there. Unfortunately poorly trained employees and/or mismanagement exists in lots of businesses.

Originally Posted by 02SE
It sounds like you found a DT that is staffed by incompetent employees. I know there are some well-run DT's out there. Unfortunately poorly trained employees and/or mismanagement exists in lots of businesses.

It is ongoing. Thing is I like Continental tires, so if something interesting comes out, like Viking7, I will get it. Some years ago I had relationship with manager in that DT who would cut me some really good deals. Competency was not high, but deals were really good. Since he is gone, really there is no reason to go back.

They do right by me! Had a problem once with a tire that wouldn't balance. It was a year old but I just mounted it that week. They questioned it but okayed the return and replacement, all postage free to me.

The one near me isn't that great. I had some tires that I bought there that I hated. They would not help me in any way,shape or form. Eventually they stopped selling those tires due to so many complaints.

I stopped buying tires from them over those tires for several years. The ones on the FJ came from there and need to be balanced again.

Back