Toyota 6 speed transmissions

mjk

Hello,

I picked up a 2011 Avalon the other week. While reading up afterwords, I realized that these have the dipstick - less transmissions. There is a long video out there:

Transmission inspection/drain/fill

The process to do a check, drain, etc. is ridiculous. What are other owners doing - going to a dealer, or a trusted transmission shop to do this?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

One other thing - there is no such thing as a 'lifetime' fill, is there? It seems like they designed it to make this whole process a headache to the owner....

Last edited:
I've DIY'd mine...

Toyota TechStream was easy enough to buy and install on an old Win XP laptop. Very useful in determining transmission fluid temperature.

Last edited:
Neither. A reputable independent mechanic. For you, one that specializes on Toyota/Lexus.

Me, I go to a independent VW shop.

What percent of people actually change the automatic transmission fluid themselves in 2020? I'm guessing it's not 1%.

I think that video is a joke.
Lotsa people do a spill and fill and simply replace the same amount of atf.

I am about to service our Lexus GS350 F Sport; I will pick up the strainer (filter) and pan gasket tomorrow.
I will do several spill and fills; finishing with the straw dribble at the proper temperature.

At the end of the day, it's just nuts and bolts.

There are other video on drain and fill methodology and how to read the ATF temperature.

You may want to check those to see if you want to DIY.

It is not that difficult.

I think since this trans has been in used for more than 10 years, a lot of "Good" trans shop should know how to do it.

That is certainly ridiculous.

The cost of the tools required might exceed the cost of the entire vehicle!

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
That is certainly ridiculous.

The cost of the tools required might exceed the cost of the entire vehicle!

You don't need those tools.
Did you read my post about checking other youtube videos.
Most of them just wait till the temperature in range and open the drain plug to drain till it dribble.
Close the drain plug.

A lot of the OBD-II scanner can be programmed to read the temperature in Toyota vehicles.

It was a problem when it was new but not now in 2020.

The most difficult is to make sure that the car is level when checking the ATF level.

You can probably just drain it cold and measure the amount and put in the same amount you took out
smile.gif

That's what I'd do
45.gif

Why not use a infrared thermometer on the trans. pan to measure fluid temperature?

They are available for under $20

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-774-Non-contact-Thermometer/dp/B00837ZGRY/ref=sr_1_14?crid=1RQ35ETPQOJSC&dchild=1&keywords=infrared+thermometer&qid=1589975810&sprefix=infra%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-14

That procedure IS ridiculous that's why they have ATF exchange machines, the whole thing can be done in 1/2 hrs at the cost of approx $250 at the dealer, a trusty & knowledgeable indie would charge the same probably or close to.
This is an expense that one incurs every 3 yrs or so. The DIY is OK if you are young and nimble and if you don't factor in your time, but for me it's the machine at the dealer.
smile.gif

I have a 2010 Avalon XLS with 56K miles. I simply have my trusted Toyota Dealer perform a simple drain & fill at every 50K miles. Trans runs excellent! I really luv this generation of the Avalon I feel the look and quality is Lexus like amazing.
These transmissions are very finicky on fluid & level be sure to use the Toyota WS fluid .

Last edited:
If it isn't leaking I guess they stand by the life time fill unless manual says otherwise. They may have gone this route to prevent wrong fluids or too much fluid being put in. Anytime there is something to play with, there will be a certain number of diyers who will start fixing what isn't broken. There is a progression towards less maintenance with improved materials and technology too.

In my old 4th gen 4runner and RX it's just been let them sit overnight, drain into large clear container, mark exactly where the fluid level was, refill container with exactly the same amount of Toyota bottled WS, pump it back in and on my way.

I do leave the bottle of WS out right next to the car on the ramps overnight so the temperature should be extremely close, always worked well for me

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
You can probably just drain it cold and measure the amount and put in the same amount you took out
smile.gif

That's what I'd do
45.gif

I've done this on several Toyota cars and trucks with the Toyota WS fluid including my own stuff and never had a problem. Do it cold like you said and replace the same amount and like the other poster said make sure the fluid has been outside next to the vehicle overnight and at the same temp.

Originally Posted by mjk
Hello,

I picked up a 2011 Avalon the other week. While reading up afterwords, I realized that these have the dipstick - less transmissions. There is a long video out there:

Transmission inspection/drain/fill

The process to do a check, drain, etc. is ridiculous. What are other owners doing - going to a dealer, or a trusted transmission shop to do this?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

One other thing - there is no such thing as a 'lifetime' fill, is there? It seems like they designed it to make this whole process a headache to the owner....

Welcome to the last two decades.

Back in the day it was pretty standard if you wanted to stay on top of the maintenance to change the fluid in the 3 and 4 speed (and maybe 2 speed) trannies after 50K or 60K miles. Now days, with the technology its not such an easy question.

Now days manufacturers leave themselves an out by saying the fluid is lifetime unless the vehicle is used for "severe" driving conditions. If the manufacturer defines "severe" it is somewhat vague, and open to interpretation. One interpretation (and espoused by quite a few BITOGers) is that if short drives to the store and back are part of the owner's regular use, than it is severe ant the tranny fluid needs to be changed. Go over to the Subaru board and there is a good population of posters that maintain that CVT tranny fluid must be changed every 30K else catastrophic failure is likely.

Its a tough question for many owners, without a correct answer.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Back in the day it was pretty standard if you wanted to stay on top of the maintenance to change the fluid in the 3 and 4 speed (and maybe 2 speed) trannies after 50K or 60K miles. Now days, with the technology its not such an easy question.

Now days manufacturers leave themselves an out by saying the fluid is lifetime unless the vehicle is used for "severe" driving conditions. If the manufacturer defines "severe" it is somewhat vague, and open to interpretation. One interpretation (and espoused by quite a few BITOGers) is that if short drives to the store and back are part of the owner's regular use, than it is severe ant the tranny fluid needs to be changed. Go over to the Subaru board and there is a good population of posters that maintain that CVT tranny fluid must be changed every 30K else catastrophic failure is likely.

Its a tough question for many owners, without a correct answer.

Do not understand this? I changed fluid and filter in my Sienna at 68k, in Tiguan at 60k, and any other previous vehicle around 60k if it had automatic transmission. Actually ZF specifically recommends for fluid to be changed (not flushed) with pan/filter between 60 and 75k.

Just drain and refill. You will do it while the transmission is cool. I use a gallon, marked, paint bucket and add the same amount as taken out. If you want to check the level just use a infrared thermometer between 104-111.

Back