Going to cut back on oci

Due to the currant situation my wife has been idling the FJ a lot while she eats( she eats out a lot). Instead of going 5k I think I am going to cut it back to 4k. At least until the restaurants have sit down available again.

Ok or should I cut it back to 3k? Currantly running car lube semi syn 10w30. Next oci will be kirkland synthetic.

You would think the weather should be fair over there ...
Is it cold or hot? Heater or A/C?
I think idling with heater is better than ac.

Edit:
I just saw some mid 90's ... Sounds like a/c.
Is that right?

Last edited:
30 min at lunch roughy? If she were driving at an average speed of 40mph the math would work out to about 400 miles in a month's (20 working days) time. With synthetic oil I don't think I'd worry about it. Its not an air cooled vehicle that is going to bake the oil while sitting. The cooling system should be well up to the task of handling it.

I've idled a Dodge 4.7l for 6hours+ when temps were 105 degs outside while wife shopped. My scanguage showed low engine temps, and used about $10 worth of fuel to stay alive in that heat.

My BMW X1 s28i uses only .22 gallons per hour with no heat or cooling, and stays at 193 deg. With modern FI these cars can idle for hours without hurting them.

I change oil in that BMW at about 10k miles and up to 4 years with Mobil 1 0w40. Engines and oils are very good these days. Especially Toyotas. Read any UOA on them, they just aren't hard on oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Due to the currant situation my wife has been idling the FJ a lot while she eats( she eats out a lot). Instead of going 5k I think I am going to cut it back to 4k. At least until the restaurants have sit down available again.

Ok or should I cut it back to 3k? Currantly running car lube semi syn 10w30. Next oci will be kirkland synthetic.

Only a UOA will tell for sure. Otherwise you are just guessing.

A friend asked me to check the oil level. She's driving her car very little.

The "gas-in-oil stink" (a measurement soon to be added to Blackstone's reports) was strong.

Today I'm firing up the V70 for a 600 mile round trip....to mow a lawn. Gotta get out of here.

I used to talk about this with Gary Allan in regard to our Jeeps. My trail Jeep is started and stopped all day out on the trail. It never gets to warm up and sometimes just sits there idling while we get the front vehicles up the obstacles.

The UOA's I've done over the years looked fine and Gary suggested trying to track hours running or maybe gallons used per mile. I've gone as long as two or three years on Synthetic 5W30. I think the cost of a UOA would justify verifying what the vehicle can do. in the very least, it would interesting to see the results. The 4.0L is a pretty robust engine.

Speaking of, I always wanted to build a FJ Cruiser. I think it would be a fun machine for unmaintained roads, mild trails and overlanding.

1) Tell her to cook something.

2) Change OCI to 7K miles.

5K is too short as it is. ILSAC GF5 oil is Long Life ( 1 year/ 10K)

Leave it at 5K. Don't worry about idling as people in Los Angeles traffic do it daily and still do changes at 5k or even 10k without issues.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

+1
Isn't that something females generally enjoy doing (housekeeping etc.)?

It'll be good for your health, her health, the health of the FJ, and your bank accounts!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

*Not to rehash - but my 2017 2.4L GDI non turbo Sonata with 1 qrt. make up oil of QSUD synthetic D1 / Gen 2 GF-5 oil was just about toast at 4K miles (TBN of 2) and that was with one quart of same make up oil ... By 5K miles the TBN would have been down in the low 1 range and that was just regular suburban driving to and from work driving 40 minutes one way . So blanket statements of saying you can go 7K , 10K , etc. miles OCI don't work for sure with Hyundai GDI engines !

Last edited:
Back