2017 Hyundai Tucson SE

Well, you really didn't give much to go by but, this is something that for example, looking at Consumer Reports to get a baseline for this vehicle, is a good starting place. There are other metrics that you can also look at or even joining a Hyundai forum to see what others are saying.

I mean, off the top of my head, I'd say that you're good to go since Hyundai/KIA has/is among the more reliable brands now, even ahead of the more popular auto brands that we know & love.

Just know that(in most cases) the 10yr/100K mi powertrain warranty DOES NOT carry over to the next owner but this may have changed.

I can't answer for all Hyun/KIA models but, keep in mind that their vehicles come with either a normally aspirated engine(no turbo) or a turbo. And a regular 6 spd torque converted/shiftable auto tranny and/or a 7 spd dual clutch tranny(DCT) a.k.a. dual shift gearbox(DSG). Which is a manual tranny shifted by the vehicle's computer.

Last edited:
Sixty thousand mile warranty on used cars. When engines fail they do so spectacularly, but I think risk is overstated. Family has had many HyunKia's without incident. Six speed transmission pretty bullet proof. My Soul works great with MaxLife in the tranny.

We buy a lot of Hertz one year old rentals without problems. I'm a little bit leery of lease returns, at least you know Hertz or Enterprise sort of followed minimal servicing, did a lessee? Probably just me, however, have no experience.

Had a '16-17 Tucson as a rental car a few years ago in Seattle and liked it a lot.

Last edited:
Sister in law's engine blew. Had to wait MONTHS for a ( covered ) replacement,

Vehicle seemed nice otherwise.

So a Grenanding engine - That's all
smile.gif

Hopefully you didn't buy it yet without a long warranty - or a already replaced engine.

The engine failure issue is covered for all subsequent owners. The risk is minimal but there is a risk. I have owned quite a few Hyundai (not a Tucson) and one KIA. All without issue and really easy ownership experience.

2.4L is the iffy engine, which this doesn't have. 2.0 and 1.6 are solid, but the 1.6 has the DCT transmission which isn't the best, but I don't think they're that bad.

We own a Limited 1.6T AWD with the DCT. Engine is phenomenal. The DCT gets confused fairly often. Performance is decent, but I wish it was a normal torque converter AUTO. We aren't disappointed, but probably won't buy another DCT family hauler in the future.

The dct programming isn't all that for sure. let off the gas and the tranny goes to highest possible gear immediately, but if you either brake or get on the gas again it's in the wrong gear. also, if you get a shudder from the clutch when crawling along in 1st, theres an uprated clutch pack and programming for that, but sometimes it is not the clutches at fault. Often requires the actuator for the clutches to be replaced aswell.

I have no end of trouble with sticking brake calipers and slide pins on these. It can happen very early. clutch shudder is normal then asthe car isn't creeping along at it's usual pace.

The electric parking brake switch breaks willy nilly.

The bottom bushing on the rear dampers goes bad. The rubber seperates from the metal ring. you'll hear the damper banging against the lower control arm when it's totally separated.

The front lower control arm has weak balljoints on the upright.

The steering racks are faulty. Either the steering angle limiter bushes go and the tyres touch the lower control arm on full lock, or they break inside and you can hear and feel a bang when turning the wheel.

Don't expect to be able to remove the undertray after 2 years if the car sees winter weather. Or if you removed it, it probably wont go back on. 17x M6 screws and they rust in the blink of an eye.

This is my experience with tucsons built in europe, but maybe the american Tucson factories have better parts suppliers.

Back