Don't use the Harbor Freight jack stands

I'm a Harbor Freight customer and many of their tools are just about right for my shade tree antics.

That being said, please please please, don't use the Harbor Freight jack stands.
Nearly 2,000,000 have been recalled for poor workmanship and worn tooling.

Stay safe out there.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

They issued a recall. However.....you don't get your money back, it's a gift card. In addition, they give you a "one-time" 20% off gift card.
The same gift card you can get anywhere and there's a gazillion items listed on it that don't qualify for the 20% off.
I'd like to know how many of them failed.
I remember a few years ago they had a recall on automotive fuses. (Google it) Except the fuses weren't fuses, their blow rating was much higher than their stated rating.

I have that p/n jack stands, 61197, they are silver painted. Just had the front of my E450 propped up last week. A front bearing repack turned into a brake job. The LF pad decided to break in two pieces after impacting on the the caliper bracket. Torque spec is 195ft-lbs. Lots of corrosion from salt.

The front end was off the ground on these stands for a week before I could get back to it. No issues. For the sake of safety I'll return them.
[Linked Image]

I had a recall for the electric chain saw and the store offered cash back for the shelf price, although I used a coupon.

Just checked and mine are 56373 so not recalled. Thanks for posting.

Said that you needed a shift in weight to trigger the failure mode and estimate was 5%!of units had the defect. Those numbers can be WAGs tho

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Just checked and mine are 56373 so not recalled.

I think that's the same p/n I have. I checked earlier.... I do know that I don't have the affected part numbers.

I like the 6 ton stands. My brother's Jeep sat for over a year on mine, they work awesome. Overkill for sure.

It's a recall, not a huge deal. Every manufacturer has a bad run every now and again.

Oddly enough, a few months ago my Harbor Freight 3 ft. 1/2 in. breaker bar finally gave up the ghost. I've had it since my original college tool purchase, and it's been through more than it's share of abuse, so it's $30 price was well utilized over a 12 year period. When I went back to the store to replace it under the lifetime warranty, the clerk said "Oh wow, these were recalled years ago. I can tell because this one has two rings on the handle, not 3". Apparently, there was a small defect in a handful of units that would cause the head to shatter, so they recalled all of them.

Point being, mine never failed even while being abused far beyond it's designed intention. I would suspect the same from the jack stands. But it goes without saying, bring them back and be safe! I've had a car fall on me, it's not fun. Luckily I escaped without a scratch.

Get what you pay for. I have no problem buying odds and ends at HF but never anything where my life is at risk. Right now,I'm trying to buy only from this side of the pond or countries with superb manufacturing quality.

I bought a demolish nail bar as I call them from Harbor Freight 2 years ago then the other day it almost killed me. I was lifting on plywood to remove the old floor in my bedroom then I felt something move and not in a good way. I looked at bar and nail remover head weld let go about 3/4 of the way. If I had kept prying and it let go then I would have fallen backwards on top of debris and nails. It went in trash pile as not worth to get another one or a coupon as I think this will be last purchase. I did buy blades for my reciprocating saw and they all snapped at the tool so I had to go to local hardware to get new ones. As the saying goes " If price is to good then quality is to low".

I had one let go on me last week, when the Grand Prix had it's wheels off at the tire shop
Luckily it just scraped the concrete, and some scraping on the lower rear shock mount
Neither of us were under it thank god
I posted about it on Reddit, most people were quick to blame me
I've never had this happen before with my sturdier jackstands
I just ordered a well reviewed set of OTC units on Amazon, let's see how those turn out
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMIX5BA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolled...never_trust_a_harbor_freight_jack_stand/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolled...cb?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

I'm gonna find the other one, and take some comparative pictures

Guess I'll check my pn but I have used mine literally weekly on my truck. I also ALWAYS use jack stands AND the jack as back up if I'm under the truck (even though with the wheels on its a non issue). I always try to rock the vehicle after placing on the stands just to make sure there will be no shifting once set... In other words I don't trust ANY jack stands or jack with my life under the car.

Listed below are the two stands on recall
Check your model numbers !!!!!

Be safe !!

5CEC7C38-A3BF-48A7-80AD-01AACEFDE723.jpeg

E71D291B-1F60-4934-BD58-5BE2F6324014.jpeg

C45B33D9-ED2F-44B2-B698-3B259FF4D6A6.jpeg

Last edited:
I went and checked, and the two sets of 3T jacks aren't that number. Pittsburg and Torin. But dang it if they don't just look the same to me!

Back