Lubegard Red opinions?

Wondering if the claims about the fluid running "cooler" with this additive are fact or fiction? I added a bottle a 2 years ago with my last fluid change in my Subaru.

Last edited:
My old Infiniti would sometimes hard shift when hot. I didn't measure the temps but a bottle of LG red fixed the issue 98%. I became a believer after that.

You'd have to have checked it before and after for yourself. If you use a quality modern ATF, there's not really any need for additives, Only reason I see to add anything is if the tranny is already screwed and you're trying to buy a little more time or maybe you went to the Ford dealer and they no longer have FNR5 fluid and they put Merc V in your Mazda designed transmission because Ford says it's OK now, and now it acts funny so you tip in a little lubegard platinum to make it more like Mazda M5 fluid.

Funny you asked. I looked at LG Red today and decided to pass. I change the ATF fairly often and I decided against it. As for the few posts on her saying Valvoline Maxlife ATF runs hotter than DEXRON VI. I'm not seeing it.

Almost ALL tranny shops I have visited had Lubegard products on their shelves

I run in ALL my cars and I scoop up when they have a deal on them
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

It seems to have helped my high mileage E4OD shift more consistently. I would get some occasional 2-3 flairs and two bottles of Lubegard Red seemed to mostly cleared that up. If it gets me a year or two farther down the road, it's worth it.

I can't say anything about it running cooler, though, as I do not have a transmission temperature gauge on it.

I'm running the platinum in a ZF 6 speed with a tune in it. Feels good, nice changes, holds onto gears longer. Probably running at least 30f cooler, I run a temp guage on it, dont see it get above 170f with normal driving. Will take it to the track this year and see how hot it gets. Sorry I dont know how to write fahrenheit but I converted it from Celcius.

It has some esters that may help clean the valve body, a clean valve body may give cleaner and crisper shifting which reduces slippage and as a result may lower fluid temps.
It is not an 11oz bottle of some magic fluid that has the ability to absorb heat.

Originally Posted by Jarpin
Wondering if the claims about the fluid running "cooler" with this additive are fact or fiction? I added a bottle a 2 years ago with my last fluid change in my Subaru.

Myself, I would never add anything to the transmission unless I was dealing with a specific issue. Any slight decrease in fluid temperature from the Lubeguard isn't going to amount to much.

I've used it in three trannys so far, and haven't had any issues. Noticed a slight smoother/crisper shift, but other than that, I can't say about temp. I have no gauge. It's actually good stuff though.

Originally Posted by GMguy84
Almost ALL tranny shops I have visited had Lubegard products on their shelves

I run in ALL my cars and I scoop up when they have a deal on them
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

Same here...
I've ran it in every A/T I've owned for the last several years and I've never had an issue.
It is recommended by a lot a transmission rebuilders.
I generally don't believe in 'additives' of any sort.... but LG Red is one that I do.

Pretty much the same here, have used it a lot as long as I was able to get at the tranny fluid from the top. Last several vehicles not so lucky, I hate these sealed transmissions.

It's the only tranny additive that has ever received certification/approval from an OEM, and it has several OEMs that use it at that! Use the search function (or Google it), the resident formulator MolaKule actually had some really informative posts, and he also had good things to say about it.

I add it to every used vehicle I buy when I change the ATF, not because it's magic, but because of the cleaning abilities and proven results. I haven't had a single failure of any auto trans I've used it in, regardless of mileage. Still trying to convince my stepson to use it, since he's invested roughly $15k in the past 7 years for an E4OD and two Dodge trannies that did not have power adders in front of them, and all 3 trucks were under 150k miles...

Lg red is in every transmission I've got my hands on. I've never had any problems with it and recommend it to everyone I know. There's magic in them esters.

Originally Posted by Trav
It has some esters that may help clean the valve body, a clean valve body may give cleaner and crisper shifting which reduces slippage and as a result may lower fluid temps.
It is not an 11oz bottle of some magic fluid that has the ability to absorb heat.

Bingo. I use it and have used it for many years. In a new perfectly working transmission I doubt you'll notice a difference or any improvement. In an older vehicle it helps. In my friend's Expedition it noticeably improved shift quality. I suggested he add the product about a month after he had the unit serviced and shift quality remained the same. A few days after adding it he noticed a big improvement. I've heard comments like this before, and had similar results on a few old Fords over the years. Not all additives are snake oil.

It also improved TC shutter issues for a few people I suggested try it.

Back