Phone app.

Originally Posted by Micahmcmeen
why not make this a phone application?

By 'this' do you mean the BITOG forum?

Can't you just use the web browser on your phone?

Apps sucks.. But who knows what the future holds
coffee2.gif

I can give a few reasons potentially why:
* BITOG is a business and the cost of taking a legacy app like this(appears at least 15+ years old) likely with customizations may not be in budget or deliver enough ROI to justify customizing it
* The user base who would actually use phone (seems older) may not be that much
* In house expertise of technical team may not be making apps mobile responsive.
* Migration costs or expertise to a more modern platform may be prohibitive

An app to replace the entire functionality of this site in a web browser would likely cost somewhere in the six figures range. The ongoing maintenance of the app every time there was a change to the base code would also be prohibitively expensive. The mobile version of the forums is pretty good now and there really would be almost zero benefit to put that functionality in an app.

An app like Tapatalk is a very popular app that provides a mobile "interface" to the forum. It simply uses/requires a plug-in on the site and the app does the rest. I don't see support for the forum software that's used here though. It works with vBulletin, phpBB, Xenforo, etc. The cost isn't much either - last time I checked it was about $200/year.

For a little bit more cost, Tapatalk used to make a branded app for sites. All they do is take their regular Tapatalk app, called it "BITOG Mobile" or something like that, and stick BITOG logos in various places.

Honestly, I don't think this app could get any better if it were in an app as well.

Like, if Wayne was handed a $150k check to have it done, it would be like opening the web browser on your phone...

If I view and post on BITOG on my Android, I make sure the "Desktop site" is not checked. It's easier to use that way.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Honestly, I don't think this app could get any better if it were in an app as well.

Like, if Wayne was handed a $150k check to have it done, it would be like opening the web browser on your phone...

Have you ever seen a forum with Tapatalk ?

Back