Expensive seat value!

I took my Gary Fisher Mt.Tam (polished aluminum, no paint) in for its first checkup since I bought it in the late 90s. I haven't ridden it much and its pretty much been great since I don't really change gears with how I ride...mostly sidewalks and flat terrain. Still has the original tires!.

The guy who helped me looked at the seat and said "If you ever get rid of the bike, sell the seat separately. The last one I sold a year ago went for $400." Boggle-eyed, I asked why. He said "Bontrager doesn't make the seats anymore and people want an original seat when restoring a bike."

I was looking up brake pad inserts and came across a couple sites that give the value for old bikes and found mine: $250-$300. Uh...NOT WITH THIS SEAT! Crazy!

Yes it has. Although a lack of use has been the greatest factor in keeping it nice. I'll take a pic when I get it back.

Originally Posted by Toy4x4
Yes it has. Although a lack of use has been the greatest factor in keeping it nice. I'll take a pic when I get it back.

LOL, we all get that. Life often gets in the way of bicycle riding.

If classic or restoration parts are selling anything like bicycles in general these days, the value should be max.

Try to buy anything under ~$500 online these days and they're sold out.

[Linked Image from ep1.pinkbike.org]

Just got it back from the shop. The Judy shocks are still fine, but I guess they aren't in business anymore. They mentioned some place I could ship them to have them switched over to a piston system...forgot the name.

Anyway, here is the bike:

[Linked Image]

Yeah, wasn't thinking when I typed it. I checked that company and didn't see anything for this fork, just newer ones. I still have life in mine so there's no necessity to rebuild right now.

Back