Battery/charger question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new riding mower and the battery doesn't seem to hold a charge well. I can start it 4-5 times after I charge it but then it goes bad.

I borrowed a battery charger. What is odd is that the AMP needle jumps around while its trying to charge. Is that an indication that the battery is bad or is it supposed to do that? It is a Craftsman charger. I think I have the clamps on there well (and definitely have the polarity right). Any ideas?

If I rule the battery out, I suppose it is the charging system, eh? It is still under warranty, but I would rather just take the battery in (if that's the problem) than the whole riding mower.

Thanks!
David

Its a new mower but how old is it. Some dealers sit on stock for a long time and that can kill these small batteries. If its under warranty I would bring it back. I had this happen to me several years back. I purchased a new Arens snow thrower in July. It never needed it till Late November and it would not start. So, like you it part it on a charger but noticed the battery in my Arens was a John Deere brand. That ticked me off so I took it back to the dealer. He would not believe me that came from the Arens. But he surmised one of his repair guys ribbed the battery from this machine and put in one that was probably dead on a John Deere product. They seem to do this kind of swapping things around when something does not work.

The needle on the charger should not jump around like that, something is not right. Many years ago I purchased a Silver Beauty charger that did the same thing. I returned it the the parts store and they said it needed repair, they repaired it and it still did the same thing. I still have it and it does not charge a battery. Its junk. I would recommend you borrow another brand charger and see what happens, some cheap chargers are not very good.

[ July 22, 2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back