Amsoil ATF for 2017 Elantra

Hi,

As my 2017 Elantra approaches 40K, and since I plan on getting it 10+ years (I drive about 12K a year), I am looking at doing a automatic transmission fluid change shortly. I know it has been said in some forums over the years that you MUST use genuine Hyundai SP4-M, otherwise you will void the warranty. Is that STILL the case for the 2017-2020 Elantra models? Any real benefits to use Amsoil over Hyundai OEM SP4-M, or is Amsoil mainly marketing hype?

Thanks
Michael in NJ

I take it you have the 2.0? It looks like AMSOIL recommends the ATL. I would run that for sure. I really like AMSOIL's ATF fluids. I'm sure others here will say it is overkill or don't waste the money but for how many times you change the ATF fluid to me it is worth the cost for a quality fluid that has served me well for over 197k miles on a Silverado that tows often.

I ran Redline D6 in my Elantra GT and did a 100% flush by draining the pan, filling the pan and did 4 cycles of pumping out the fluid through the radiator cooler to get all the old Hyundai fluid out of the torque converter. I had a long hose attached to the ATF exit and brought the hose and bucket to the drivers seat area. I filled the trans and peed the ATF into the bucket until it grabbed air and I shut the car off and refilled the trans with 4 Qts. I repeated this 3 times till clean fluid came out and then did the final refill. The final refill I added 1 1/2 Qt type F racing Redline and 1 1/2 qt of low viscosity Redline type F to reduce the slip agents as I think it and Amsoil SS ATF still have too much slip agents in them for how I want my trans to work, but that's just me tuning shifting crispness. It took 13 Qts. to get it flushed out. Just a note: Hyundai fluid SP4-M is very good fluid, it is a synthetic, it is not garbage like like the semi -synthetic Toyota WS. I found some Hyundai external advertising PDFs that were posted for about a year and then taken down that said it was Ester based at one time. Whether they changed it, or they just went with a different spec sheet that did not post it had high Ester in it, who knows. Make sure you do a 100% flush and not just a pan dump.

Originally Posted by flinter
Rat407,

Yes, I have the 2.0 engine. And what is ATL??

It is the ATF fluid. Low viscosity that AMSOIL recommends if you look your vehicle up on their look-up guide.

rat407,

Ok, it actually shows 2 choices, the one you mentioned and another one for much less money!

Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
The Amsoil FE ATF meets the SP-IV spec. Keep the mileage logs and receipts.

There is a nice thread about this that was about a Sonata, but the points on using the fluid are valid.

BITOG Sonata 2017 ATF Thread

SP-IV is the previous spec ATF. SP4-M is the latest spec.

I have been using Amsoil ATF for many years. The original, un-rebuilt automatic transmission is still soldiering on after 578,000 miles.

Stick with OEM fluids and having driven Hyundai on business they have super slick transmissions - I couldn't believe it was geared they drive like CVTs.
Their engineering is solid and fluids are solid - a lot to be desired from my German GLE350 in the transmission department (it may be a good idea for German engineers to learn a few things in the transmission department from the Koreans).

Having said that never screwww around in 3 things in a car, plugs, coolants and transmission fluids. You will repay dearly.

Originally Posted by Mainia
Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
The Amsoil FE ATF meets the SP-IV spec. Keep the mileage logs and receipts.

There is a nice thread about this that was about a Sonata, but the points on using the fluid are valid.

BITOG Sonata 2017 ATF Thread

SP-IV is the previous spec ATF. SP4-M is the latest spec.

Yes. Thank you for clarifying!

I've used Amsoil ATF in ATF+4 mopar, DexII, Mercon, and Mercon V vehicles. I just put Amsoil low Viscosity trans fluid in my Daughters 2018 Ford Edge. Have not driven it much after changing it. I have been impressed with how it has performed in different applications.
I don't know how it would do in the Elantra. I would try it............

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MaximaGuy
Stick with OEM fluids and having driven Hyundai on business they have super slick transmissions - I couldn't believe it was geared they drive like CVTs.
Their engineering is solid and fluids are solid - a lot to be desired from my German GLE350 in the transmission department (it may be a good idea for German engineers to learn a few things in the transmission department from the Koreans).

Having said that never screwww around in 3 things in a car, plugs, coolants and transmission fluids. You will repay dearly.

Now that's what I'm talking about....
01.gif

I went and looked a 2017 manual, the manual just says SP4, not SP4-m, Aisin makes an SP4 fluid that's pretty reasonably priced around $7/qt on Rock Auto. I'd stick with using a fluid that's explicitly SP4 during the warranty period.

DO NOT use ANYTHING other than OEM fluid while your Hyundai is under warranty. If you plan on keeping it, then do a drain/refill at decent intervals. If you plan on getting rid of it, do nothing. I can give you about $758 million reasons why which includes 3000 fires, 4 dead bodies, a class action lawsuit, federal judge, and 1.5 years of litigation.

Don't hesitate to use the Amsoil SS Fuel Efficient synthetic trans fluid in your Elantra. Did a trans dump and fill on my son's 2018 Elantra (2.0 MFI engine with 6-speed auto trans) using this fluid, and the car still works just fine; cannot notice any different operating performance than it had before the fluid change. This change was done at 30,000 km back in March of this year; that was several thousand kms ago, again with no operating issues. The trans still shifts and operates very well.

I also, at the same time used the Amsoil SS Fuel Efficient trans fluid in our 2013 Honda Odyssey (5-speed) and our 2018 Prius. In both these vehicles, We've noticed no change in how the transmissions operate - they still work just fine. However, understand that the Prius transmission is a totally different animal than a typical shifting transmission; there are no clutch packs that shift -just continuously meshed gears.

Back