10 Oil Mixture Test

What ever is my opinion . Wen you consider there are only a hand full of oil additive companies on Earth the oils actually aren't much different.

What ever is my opinion . Wen you consider there are only a hand full of oil additive companies on Earth the oils actually aren't much different.

As is always the case with this repeat question, if the oils are API licensed then both must pass ASTM D6922 and will be miscible. The mixture will not cause immediate harm.

But that is only part of the story.

Why do people find it necessary to create a video like this?

Now a video "how long will my 2021 Corvette run using virgin cold pressed olive oil as engine oil" would be one to see. The look on the guys face when the engine blew up.

Originally Posted by Donald

Now a video "how long will my 2021 Corvette run using virgin cold pressed olive oil as engine oil" would be one to see. The look on the guys face when the engine blew up.

Send him the suggestion. He makes videos based on viewer requests.

I really enjoy PF's videos and all his creative testing rigs and methods, even if not 100% scientific, sometimes you still get good info and others are just for kicks

Originally Posted by JEL01
I really enjoy PF's videos and all his creative testing rigs and methods, even if not 100% scientific, sometimes you still get good info and others are just for kicks

It's somewhat entertaining to watch, but with a sample size of one, his tests are worthless, and in some cases methodologically flawed, I don't remember what he was testing but he measured the temperature of a law mower engine as part of something he was testing, but it was outdoors and clearly during different times of day for different tests, he really needed to measure delta T over ambient becuase the difference in outdoor temperature through out the day in Missouri could easily have accounted for the differences in engine operating temperature

Last edited:

Because with enough viewers, he makes money doing this. And good for him if he can pull that off.
I watch his videos. Not because I think they are controlled scientific tests or anything. I watch them because they're well produced and entertaining and I do learn a little bit.

One thing I don't like about his videos is that the overall narration comes off sounding a bit chopped and as if he's firing off statements rapid fire and a bit too loud.
I think that is a side effect of the editing so I'm not sure what he would do about it.

I think he's a good presenter, comfortable behind the camera, and puts on a good show. It's entertainment. There's a lot of work behind the scenes to put on a good, well shot, clear and nicely lit videos.

I know his "which oil flows the fastest after sitting at -40 overnight " race test doesn't prove anything but i'm a sucker for watching that oil run down those sloped channels and I want to know which one "wins"

:)

-A

Last edited:
Seems like a stupid test IMO.

One OCI on baby oil likely wont destroy your engine.

Additive clash is always a concern, but never really seen. Anecdotal evidence stated on here from years ago was that they made trays to collect drips from oil cans, and then one could get more for free. Do that at a gas station or similar place, and the owner could get many quarts more.

Originally Posted by blufeb95

It's somewhat entertaining to watch, but with a sample size of one, his tests are worthless, and in some cases methodologically flawed, I don't remember what he was testing but he measured the temperature of a law mower engine as part of something he was testing, but it was outdoors and clearly during different times of day for different tests, he really needed to measure delta T over ambient becuase the difference in outdoor temperature through out the day in Missouri could easily have accounted for the differences in engine operating temperature

You are right. They absolutely aren't controlled scientific tests. No doubt about it.

I recently watched glue and construction adhesive tests. He used wood blocks cut in 1/2 and then glued back together so that he was dealing with consistent wood at the glue line.

However, he also did 3 blocks per glue/adhesive because he recognized that any single block of wood might be different than another.

Even with that 3 blocks per glue brand , he encountered wildly different failure points. There's no way that would be considered scientific.
He'd have to do 100s/1000s to start seeing valid trends.

But... it allowed me to see that one brand of marine adhesive is probably much better in general than the the brand shown on TV that allows you to make a boat out of a screen door. :)

And it was entertaining..

For me it's a combination of entertainment (Heck I've watched like 100 brake job videos for cars I don't own!!) and a chance to learn and thing about things.

Was that Pennzoil conventional oil green? Watch the video as he pours it in (the second oil used).

Completely off topic, but every time I hear his voice I cringe and expect to hear:

"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom!"

And why do people find it necessary to post them here?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Was that Pennzoil conventional oil green? Watch the video as he pours it in (the second oil used).

I think it's just the diffraction of light through the different fluids and the glass, since the pennzoil is all mineral and the redline he poured in before is mostly PAO/Ester.
He did a video "testing" some vintage Quaker State once and it was green.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8

Very good point CT8...

More similar now than ever before..

agree

Originally Posted by Kira
Are you the fellow in the video, BlueOvalFitter?

amblerman: It's -15â„ not -40â„. I was doubting his freezer.

Oh I just watched the blended oil video above. I hadn't watched this particular video when I replied earlier. In the blended oil video above he uses a different fridge than he normally seems to.

In other "oil test" videos he has a very industrial very specific freezer he uses instead and I just verified he says 40 below F in those other videos.
see 4:05 in this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9il_piyuT8

That video he tests Kirkland vs SuperTech (ie pretty much or absolutely the same stuff).

I always wondered about his special freezer. Not a normal residential one.

Back