I found my 3.5 liter Ecoboost oil...Chevron Delo 5W40 CK4

As some here might know the 3.5 liter Ecoboost engine has some problems such as dilution or shearing the stock 5W30 Semi Synthetic down to 5W20. It has things like cold start rattle and a list of different things. Another key thing is the engine seemingly running too hot sometimes over 220 degrees F!

I just dont believe the Motorcraft 5W30 Semi Synthetic is appropriate for this monster. So I looked around on the internet to find other turbo guys facing similar problems and were successfully using 5W40 HDEO most notably Rotella T6. I took note but I wanted to be cautious and didnt use T6 because its not rated for gas engines.

So I turned to Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 and Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 ESP. I had great results. The engine seemed to run a little cooler with both, ran smoother and the Blackstone lab reports came back with superior results and praise from the Blackstone people.

However I wanted to give Chevron Delo 5W40 CK4 a shot. The Delo is about 20% thicker and is API SN Plus and not just API SN like the Mobil variety. Chevron assures us its truly mixed fleet and will work in whatever you pour it into. Gives some of us more assurance that its good to pour into the crank unlike Rotella T6 where where when you email Shell they give you a resounding No for gas engine use.

So far the engine is the quietest its been and smooth. Temperature control is superior and I can easily cruise around under 200 degrees F. When I jump on it there isnt the temperature spikes Ive seen with the 5W30 where quite suddenly Im pushing 220+. Its been a lot steadier.

In the future I plan on testing the oil through Blackstone to determine which is the better oil...Delvac or Delo.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I run Castrol 0w40. Have since the 500 mile mark. Temperature spikes are caused by the location of the thermostat, at the coolant intake to the engine and the location the the temperature sensor, at the coolant exit of the engine. There also a junction near the thermostat where coolant is split to the engine and turbos so it's not as easy a flow into the engine for cooling.

Notice how quickly the temperature drops when you get out of boost. Gen 1 or gen 2 eco both have this characteristic. Your oil temperature doesn't fluctuate nearly as quickly.

Last edited:
You will run your 3.5 for a few hundred thousand miles to gauge the new oils effectiveness vs the Motorcraft?

Very good choice. I regularly suggest more viscosity and more frequent oil changes for 3.5EB owners. One thing is very clear, good maintenance practices are needed on the EB engines.

Seems 50% of the T6, T6, T6, bumps you're going to see here all day never even consider Delo/Delvac …
The other half are just questionable recommendations …

Just be aware that it has a lot less zinc and phos than TDT. I won't run it in my MB v6 diesel.

My 3.5 has fuel dilution issues, so it does not matter what I run, I stick to a 5w30 syn and drop it 4k to 5k miles.

I may give this a try. My Ecoboost has run fine on Mobil 1 EP or AP 5w30 for 10k, but it has the cold weather noise, for sure. I'm going to do a Blackstone report on the current M1 EP run at 10k and see what it shows. I may throw some of this in for a run and get it analyzed, too.

My Ecoboost is starting to get some miles on it, but it runs perfectly. I do love this engine. It is shocking how it moves our big Transit with authority and can still easily get 19mpg on the highway with 12 people in it.

Yeah … my son just got a Mustang with the 2.3L eB … nobody told that motor it's small ðŸ§

The jury is still out on Delo since I havent had it in that long. However I do l l know that both Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 and Delvac worked well in the Ecoboost. Blackstone reports came back very well. I would like to do another round with the Mobil 1 TDT for a complete comparison against Delvac.

Delo is a competitor to Delvac and this is their newest and greatest formula. So lets see how it goes.

Comparing Blackstone VOAs found on the internet and the oil product data sheets Delo is a bit thicker with a CST@100 in mid to high 15s while Delvac is low to mid 13s. Delvac probably has higher quality base stock and possibly group 4. Delo is known as a group IIi oil.

In any event any of the oils mentioned here will do well with Ecoboost engines. If you have fuel dilution like mine I believe it came back in the high 11s/low 12s after 5000 miles for both TDT and Delvac.

Nope not going to put that 5W30 semisynth back in. BTW TDT and Delo are Walmart shelf oils. Delvac I got from Summit Racing at the best price. I think you can order Delvac on the Walmart website.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Navi
The jury is still out on Delo since I havent had it in that long. However I do l l know that both Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 and Delvac worked well in the Ecoboost. Blackstone reports came back very well. I would like to do another round with the Mobil 1 TDT for a complete comparison against Delvac.

Delo is a competitor to Delvac and this is their newest and greatest formula. So lets see how it goes.

Comparing Blackstone VOAs found on the internet and the oil product data sheets Delo is a bit thicker with a CST@100 in mid to high 15s while Delvac is low to mid 13s. Delvac probably has higher quality base stock and possibly group 4. Delo is known as a group IIi oil.

In any event any of the oils mentioned here will do well with Ecoboost engines. If you have fuel dilution like mine I believe it came back in the high 11s/low 12s after 5000 miles for both TDT and Delvac.

Nope not going to put that 5W30 semisynth back in. BTW TDT and Delo are Walmart shelf oils. Delvac I got from Summit Racing at the best price. I think you can order Delvac on the Walmart website.

Thanks for posting this. Can you throw your Delvac UOA on here? I'd love to see it. I'll be watching for when you do one on the Delo. I've still got a ways to go, but I'll post up a UOA for the current run of M1EP when I change the oil and get the results.

The Delvac 1 gear oil tends to be a best deal at Summit too …
free shipping at $100 so I have tossed in spark plug wires etc …

Current Delvac ESP CK-4 is all group III and III+ according to the SDS. The old CJ-4 flagship product had a bunch of PAO in it but that stuff is history unless you can find some NOS product hidden somewhere.

The only major brand HDEO that has a significant quantity of group IV base oils is Phillips 66 Triton ECT 5w40. It is a thicker 5w40 which great specs and is priced well. It is available from P66 distributors. I suggest you try it too.

Originally Posted by Navi

I bought 2 5 gal pails of Delo 400 5w40 that are waiting for winter. It was the thickest 5w40 I could find.

Currently 15w40 is in the following family vehicles;

2008 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins/ 295/70/18 Cooper Maxx
2013 GMC 1500 5.3 275/60/20 Nitto EXO
2011 GMC 2500 6.6 LML (deleted) 295/65/20 Toyo CT
2018 Chev 3500 6.6L L5P 275/65/20 Nitto EXO
2014 Ford Escape 2L turbo (my daughter;s nanny mobile) 235/65/17 Toyo AT II

Thick oil & big tires.

Back