Oils keeping engine clean-Difference?

I've been going back and forth on whether or not to stay with Castrol Edge/EP in my accord 2.0t. I'm not sure there is really any reason to move, as I believe edge/EP are on par with Mobil 1 and others that are seen as top tier.

In fact, I've even thought about using something cheaper like ST or Kirkland, as I'm only going 4-5k OCI due to this being a TGDI engine.

My main concern is long term engine cleanliness, as I will have this car for a good long time. Is there really a tangible difference in engine cleanliness between oils, knowing this engine has 20k on it and doesn't really require cleaning? On that same note, do we have current oils that leave engines dirtier?

I'm GUESSING that maybe Mobil, Castrol, etc might be a bit better than the cheaper lines, but was hoping the experts could chime in.

Thanks.

Why is cleanliness an issue? Any of todays top oils will allow your engine to out last your ownership of the vehicle with reasonable maintenance.

Being a DI engine, there has been some chatter on here about the new Valvoline Modern Engine keeping the intake valves cleaner. Valvoline makes some pretty bold statements about it (40% cleaner intake valves), but I think that it is too soon for any hard evidence yet. May be worth looking into though.

Originally Posted by BTLew81
I've been going back and forth on whether or not to stay with Castrol Edge/EP in my accord 2.0t. I'm not sure there is really any reason to move, as I believe edge/EP are on par with Mobil 1 and others that are seen as top tier.

In fact, I've even thought about using something cheaper like ST or Kirkland, as I'm only going 4-5k OCI due to this being a TGDI engine.

My main concern is long term engine cleanliness, as I will have this car for a good long time. Is there really a tangible difference in engine cleanliness between oils, knowing this engine has 20k on it and doesn't really require cleaning? On that same note, do we have current oils that leave engines dirtier?

I'm GUESSING that maybe Mobil, Castrol, etc might be a bit better than the cheaper lines, but was hoping the experts could chime in.

Thanks.

Engine cleanliness has less to do with the actual oil as it does with the PM frequency, mechanical condition and working environment.

Originally Posted by AJB0009
Being a DI engine, there has been some chatter on here about the new Valvoline Modern Engine keeping the intake valves cleaner..
Lets call it regurgitating advertising claims

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
If your valve seals and rings are functioning, the oil is not contacting the intake valves. How is it supposed to keep them clean?
Oil mist and combustion by products via the pcv system as well as dirt bypassing or being too fine for the air filter. I am not sure about the oil cleaning the intake valves though.

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR
Originally Posted by BTLew81

Thanks.

Engine cleanliness has less to do with the actual oil as it does with the PM frequency, mechanical condition and working environment.

I'd agree if we were talking about just sludge, but I've seen a clear difference in oils in engines well maintained. Heck, there have been some pics of engines run on Red LIne that have been incredibly clean, especially with less varnish, than typical for the mileage. I've also seen a number of valve trains run for hundreds of thousands of miles on M1 oils and they were among the cleanest I've ever seen. That's not saying the others were gunked up, but they certainly had at least more varnish.

That said, varnish really doesn't bother me unless it builds up. I haven't seen that too often.

I did have a 4 Runner with a 3.4 sludge-o-matic that was recalled. Mine ran exclusively on Mobil 1 5w30. When the dealership checked it they said it was perfect. Not a bit of sludge to be found and little varnish. My Dad wound up with it and sold it with over 200k on it. The valve train looked amazing. Those 3.4s were notorious for terrible sludging. We ran 4.5k to 7k OCI's with it, IIRC.

My 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee had run up to about 104k on conventional bulk oil and the inside of the cylinders looked very gunked up. We've been running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 in it for the last 3k and will swap it out for another run of the same in another 1.5 to 2k. I'm betting that the PUP cleans things up nicely. I'll be shocked if it doesn't.

In short, I've seen enough to firmly believe that there is a difference in cleaning ability between premium synthetic oils and others. Even if small, they are still noticeable to the eye.

Originally Posted by IndyFan

I did have a 4 Runner with a 3.4 sludge-o-matic that was recalled. Mine ran exclusively on Mobil 1 5w30. When the dealership checked it they said it was perfect. Not a bit of sludge to be found and little varnish. My Dad wound up with it and sold it with over 200k on it. The valve train looked amazing. Those 3.4s were notorious for terrible sludging. We ran 4.5k to 7k OCI's with it, IIRC.

Who says that? Those 3.4s are known to be bulletproof with even the most basic oil. The engine is extremely easy on oil. Might be a little varnish, but I've never heard of sludge unless it's been severely neglected.

That's what I thought. I bought my 4Runner with 245k miles and didn't know much about previous maintenate. When I replaced the valve cover gaskets at 253k miles I was pleased to see some varnish but absolutely no sludge despite the PCV completely blocked.

Originally Posted by IndyFan

Who says that? Those 3.4s are known to be bulletproof with even the most basic oil. The engine is extremely easy on oil. Might be a little varnish, but I've never heard of sludge unless it's been severely neglected.
Yes I’ve never heard of any issues with this engine other than keeping the timing belt serviced. Never heard of a sludge recall.

unless You go to social events and parties where you share the internal engine pictures of Your daily drivers, who the hell are you going to impress? If the engine is not gummed up and dis functional by the time replacing the seats that are worn out exceeds the blue book and/Or a hole has rusted through as a skylight above the drivers seat does it matter?

Pennzoil brags their Platinum and Ultra oil up about keeping the engine and pistons cleaner.

Thread i did way back then, oils used were API SM group 3 synthetics.

Back