Ceiling fan question

I wasn't sure where to put this. We are wanting a ceiling fan in our kitchen. The problem we are facing is the position of the fan. The kitchen table is off to the side of the kitchen about 15' from the center of the kitchen.

We don't want to put two ceiling fans in if we don't have to. So we wanted to split the room with one fan. This is on an 8' ceiling.
Does anyone have experience with a ceiling fan that produces a nice amount of air movement so we can get that while cooking but also while sitting down to eat? I was looking at Big [censored] Fan's but they want way too much money for what they offer as a residential fan. Their commercial units really move some air that is for sure but I can't see paying $800 for a Haiku. They even charge for the wall switch. Not sure why so much for that as well.

I'm thinking at least a 52" would work maybe a 60"? Just not sure what brand would be best and is a good air mover.

Thanks

we have that situation, fan blades are about 9 ft up in a sloped ceiling. , fan is over island and sink area not over table. about a 40 inch fan get a speed control /adjustable fan-- works fine

We had a ceiling fan over the dining table at my parents' house in the 80s. I would think twice about it. It makes your hot food cold in a hurry.

Not sure how its much different from any other room or fan use.

Whats your intent? Strong downdraft from any position in the room? Basic circulation?

I just went into a room where there is a fan in the center, and I could stand 15+' away. It has a 52" fan on low.

To me, it pleasantly circulates air in the room - you can feel circulation but its not excessive or windy. Id suspect a 60" would do a bit better, as the airflow probably increases non-linearly.

When cooking you might want some really good mixing in the space. But when sitting and eating, not so much. Since your ceiling isnt high, Id probably hesitate going too big or too many. I dont think Id be keen on a fan right over the table personally...

Id suspect there are some calculators someplace that make recommendations based upon square footage?

Originally Posted by DBMaster
We had a ceiling fan over the dining table at my parents' house in the 80s. I would think twice about it. It makes your hot food cold in a hurry.

You sure can't have it blowing down. I agree.

That being said to answer your question, I'd place a 52 inch over the dining table and have some lights in it. Be able to control fan speed and light intensity.

Now, for my 2 cents. On of the "best" things we installed in our house was a whole house fan. It's in the ceiling near our garage door. When you burn the bacon,
country ham or the popcorn, open a kitchen window and turn on the whole house fan and it will suck that smoke out of the kitchen like a champ. It pulls from whatever
windows you have opened and exhausts it through the roof vents. Cools your attic as well.

Last edited:
We spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking and we all sit down for dinner. Being in eastern NC it can get muggy and we like to keep the AC at a reasonable level to keep the cost down. Seems electricity is high here for some reason. Thanks for the info.

Are your cooktops electric or natural gas? If they are gas, they may be affected by the fan. I know it may seem like a small point, but because of the location of my cooktops and that they are gas, I usually end up turning off the ceiling fan because I'm usually in a hurry. Like I said, a minor point, but depending on the size of kitchen and location of cooktops you may want to rethink size and location of ceiling fan.

A larger fan operating at a lowerspeed is quieter that a smaller fam operating at a higher speed to move the same air.

A larger fan operating at a lower speed is quieter that a smaller fan operating at a higher speed to move the same air.

A larger fan operating at a lower speed is quieter that a smaller fan operating at a higher speed to move the same air.

8' ceiling? A ceiling fan is going to be a hazard with that low of a ceiling. Make sure you have a proper style work box to support the weight.

A flush mount 52" would do the trick for ~$120 from HD. Also get a wireless remote its nice not having speed and ligh chains hanging down. On low speed the larger diameters "Stir" the air vs blowing wind.

I've installed about 20 ceiling fans over the years. You don't say the size of the room, but I've had the best performance and service with Hunter Original 52 inch fans. They move a lot of air even at low and medium speeds, and they're quiet. It's a heavy fan so make sure you have adequate ceiling support.

I would check if where you mount it can support that kind of weight first. Often times you have a bigger fan means you have to add extra support for the fan mounting and it is not worth the trouble after all things considered.

Hunter is one we are looking at. The size of the room is basically 20'x15'. Three walls and one open to the living room. As for support. No problem there. I can get up in the attic with no issues to be able to add support.

It seems the Haiku fan is a major air mover even at low speeds but the amount they want for it I would have to win the Powerball.

I buy nothing but Hunter …
7 inside and 3 outdoors …
Easy to hang and last a long time …

Back