eBay > Amazon

Im betting a lot of stuff on Amazon is now deemed non essential. She bought some vitamins for our old GSD. It was non essential and was back ordered about 1.5 weeks. Normally it's Prime so 2 days.

eBay has been pretty good still. If the delivery date isn't made, it's usually the next day. Not a big deal IMO.

If I urgently needed something, I wouldn't buy it online anyways. Lol.

I laugh at the amazon line of "we're prioritizing shipments for medical supplies"...which is complete BS because you can't even order ANY of the things average people need like N95s, clorox wipes, gloves, hand sanitizer etc.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Used to have prime.
Been using eBay the past 2 years. Never an issue, but I normally scope out sellers longevity and feedback prior to purchase.

Most people I know who have had issues with eBay failed to scope out one or both of those.

Id honestly rather support independent dealers on eBay and not Amazons attempt at world domination

This sums my experience up pretty well. If they have a good track record I buy EBay . The delivery time has always been less than their estimation. Amazon is fine but I hate to hand money over to that 💩 Besose and his agendas.

Yesterday morning, I went to place an order for vitamins and supplements yesterday through Amazon, and things didn't look right. What wasn't right was the prices... all much too high. I went a looked at another that I've also used in the past, who has Kroger as a parent company, and the prices were what I expected. Plus, they shipped out via Priority Mail the same day... for free.

One order through Amazon this week was a day late. Another order that was to arrive today... isn't even shown as being shipped yet. I'll give it a few more weeks before I cancel my Prime membership. During the Christmas rush, Amazon was getting it done. Now... they are incompetent.

Everything that I bought online and used on the Fusion rebuild, came through eBay. Amazon was unable to compete on either price or delivery time.

I'm shifting back to the way that I used to do it, prior to joining Amazon Prime.... a combination of eBay and Wal-Mart.

I've definitely noticed a sharp increase in shipping times and (especially) item availability on Amazon. I presumed that part was due to prioritizing food and household items along with moving a lot of third-party items from their warehouses. The result has been items that are simply "unavailable at this time" and/or with increased prices.

I certainly understand the effort to shift to prioritizing "essential" items while customers are supposed to stay at home, but they're still collecting the prime membership fee while not honoring the free 2 day delivery promise. I dropped Netflix and have been using prime video for the past year, so that factors into any thought of canceling my subscription.

A couple more annoyances I've noticed over the past year or so with Amazon: 1) Significant fluctuations in pricing - that's where camelcamelcamel comes in handy, and 2) Some items are listed so as to make it quite vague as to who is selling it (I usually try to stick with Amazon as the vendor).

And to clarify my beef:

Yesterday at 8:30pm they said it would arrive today by 9pm.

Then, after 9pm, they say it hasn't even shipped yet. Seems like something they could have kept me informed of.

I see it's $4 cheaper, so I apply to cancel my order, and ordered the thing again, because why not?

Half an hour later, get an email saying we can't cancel your order, as it's in the mail cart heading for the door. So I cancel the re-order.

Today, the original order shows delayed, unshipped, and should get to me by the 25th.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by eljefino
And to clarify my beef:

Then, after 9pm, they say it hasn't even shipped yet. Seems like something they could have kept me informed of.

I see it's $4 cheaper, so I apply to cancel my order, and ordered the thing again, because why not?

Half an hour later, get an email saying we can't cancel your order, as it's in the mail cart heading for the door. So I cancel the re-order.

Today, the original order shows delayed, unshipped, and should get to me by the 25th.
mad.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif
Its sounds like my issues with Amazon. Lately its been a game with them. I am not shopping at other vendors due to Amazons tactics. I have been a regular shopper since 2005.

Amazon > eBay.

I once bought a ~$300 item from eBay as a guest, but the item had some undescribed issues. The seller agreed to a refund and refunded me after he received it. However, eBay did not credit my card. I paid using credit card, and what eBay did was hold my funds hostage unless I create a PayPal account and I could only withdraw through PayPal using bank information. Essentially, the refund became the account balance of my non-existent PayPal account. Called and complained to eBay, but they were not helpful. I ended the call with telling them I am starting to dispute and their response was 'I am sorry you feel that way.' I still remember the phone call to this day. Right after, I started the dispute with eBay, and my credit card company agreed with me, in addition, this was clear violation of the law! Money was credited back in two days. I wonder who else eBay scammed to giving up their bank information and/or connecting it to PayPal.

That being said, I did buy two things from eBay afterwards as they were cheaper in eBay than Amazon. But these were less than $10.

I do not trust eBay, or anything having to do with by Elon Musk. (Elon Musk founded PayPal)

And to clarify my beef:

mad.gif

Yep, just had my order extended a week........

An Amazon shipment that I was supposed to receive yesterday... never even shipped.

This is such a great way to treat your Prime customers, Amazon. Reward our loyalty with sheer incompetence.

Ordering stuff for my new truck.

Ebay gives a time estimate and beats it, often using the US Mail.

Amazon gives one and fails to reach it.

I don't want to hear about "they're prioritizing for medical supplies." They mention this and have the logistics to know when they'll work out and when they'll fail, and can give an honest estimate on non-life-critical stuff.

This might be like that time Eastern Airlines' computers froze up and stranded everyone on Spring Break.

Although I'm sure Amazon is making money hand over fist, I wouldn't want to own their stock long-term, as there are going to be some cross customers finding other vendors.

/rant

Ebay is great, Summitracing is great, Walmart is great. You will always get your stuff when they say. I mean, the internet is your friend, use it.

Amazon is the slowest of the bunch by a long shot, plus they trick their customers with free shipping. If you ever notice when you order something from Amazon and says "ships" free. Well just wait to you get to the payment page, it defaults to a charge for shipping and you have to click it back to get free shipping. Its not easy to spot and I can imagine the thousands (or more) people who never realize it. I am surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit yet.
Not only that, but you normally are informed of delivery day of more then 7 days. With that said, I am not talking about people who subscribe to Amazon Prime, that is another story but Ill never pay Amazon to deliver my packages faster when everyone else does with no "subscription" fee.

Full Disclosure - I am biased against Amazon. Dishonest (see above), I always wonder if I will get someone else's return, that is sold as new and in no way on planet earth do they have the best prices on everything.
IN fact (back to the honest thing) their algorithms will adjust their price on any product at any given moment to get the most amount of money out of you. Possibly even based on your browsing other sites for the same product at the same time. I still do order stuff from them, best price wins BUT they are truly my last resort to order anything from, I rather pay a little bit more (and I mean a little) to avoid them and their slow shipping.

Last edited:
To add to my earlier post,

If youre ever in the predicament of not knowing when a package is gonna come in, be it you dont have tracking info or whatnot, USPS does have free informed delivery online.

I get emails daily on whats coming in, and since my neighborhood doesnt have individual mailboxes (theres a multi mailbox lockbox down the road) I check it everyday, saves me trips since some mail I could care less about.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
To add to my earlier post,

If youre ever in the predicament of not knowing when a package is gonna come in, be it you dont have tracking info or whatnot, USPS does have free informed delivery online.

I get emails daily on whats coming in, and since my neighborhood doesnt have individual mailboxes (theres a multi mailbox lockbox down the road) I check it everyday, saves me trips since some mail I could care less about.

Very Interesting. Im normally pretty up to date on this stuff but had no idea.

They used to be different. Ebay used to have no customer services and will let anyone sell there regardless of quality, Amazon used to refund buyer on anything wrong out of their pockets.

Now Amazon will hold on to your non prime order until right before you should receive it (free loan), and on ebay you can pick someone near by and buy from them (to get a fast ship). Ebay got a lot better after Meg Whitman left and spun off paypal. They are now what Ebay should have been for the last 2 decades.

Amazon stock would be fine, they make most of their money off web services and they are making a killing there. The migration to work from home means a lot more traffic to the cloud in the near future.

Back