- 33MPG combined.
- FWD or AWD
- 3500-lb towing capacity.

I wish they'd bring back the cheaper non-hybrid 4-cylinder version
cry.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I wish they'd bring back the cheaper non-hybrid 4-cylinder version
cry.gif

Did you ever drive one of these? I wouldn't wish one of them on my worst enemy, they were OK in the city but gutless wonders at highway speeds. The van's aerodynamics are not ideal and it is too heavy for the available power. They only got about 1-2 mpg better in the city and often times 0 mpg better (or worse) on the highway. The buyers didn't want them and they weren't selling so the dealers didn't want them. In in the end, even the rental car companies wouldn't buy them (even at steep discounts), that's why they were discontinued.
IMO they are making a mistake by eliminating the V/6. The hybrid should be optional. The fuel mileage is great, but I'm concerned about the power to weight ratio. The van is still heavy, and probably even heavier as a hybrid.

Last edited:
I have a tough time believing 3,500lb towing with a 2.5L. It makes sense (more to towing than raw horsepower), but only in the sense that 2.5's that are out there today already have that kind of towing capacity. [Any juice in the battery pack is going to run out real quick on any long hill, so I don't consider the battery good for other than quick acceleration--once moving, it's all on the gas motor, while towing anyhow.]

The cabin looks decidedly un-minivan like.

Looks nice and I wish I could talk the wife into one for a few years while the kids are little bit she likes (or has been marketed into liking) a full-size SUV. That fuel mileage seems great for the size and capacity. You can get a built in fridge and vacuum too, nice!

The 2021 looks more like an SUV, only with sliding side doors. When you have little ones, the very best part of owning a van is the sliding side doors, especially if there are child safety seats involved. They make dealing with the kiddos SO much easier in the garage or a parking lot because the doors don't get in the way, plus you can open them with your arms full.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123
The 2021 looks more like an SUV, only with sliding side doors. When you have little ones, the very best part of owning a van is the sliding side doors, especially if there are child safety seats involved. They make dealing with the kiddos SO much easier in the garage or a parking lot because the doors don't get in the way, plus you can open them with your arms full.

^This.
I got Sienna bcs. minivan size and only minivan with AWD. However, although I had a lot of experience with minivans some time ago through rentals, it never occurred to me how useful sliding doors are actually until I got this one and started to use it. There is no SUV, no matter how big, that is as practical as minivan.

Finally saw one of these on the road. Looked it up in C&D.

I can see the non-removable center seats as being a pretty big issue for some.

It does have good lines, I like the awd concepts in hybrid systems, and 33 MPG is pretty compelling.

Not in the market because our 14 Odyssey has been flawless and is a great van. And our close friends’ Sienna has been such a reliability hassle... but if it proves itself it has a lot of promise.

It does have good lines, I like the awd concepts in hybrid systems, and 33 MPG is pretty compelling.

Not in the market because our 14 Odyssey has been flawless and is a great van. And our close friends’ Sienna has been such a reliability hassle... but if it proves itself it has a lot of promise.

Non removable seats sucks, that’s a major plus to our 11 sienna. I can remove them and use it as my makeshift truck.

Exactly.

Not in the market because our 14 Odyssey has been flawless and is a great van.
I was in Arlington, TX for a week in March. I used my niece's 2015 Odyssey EX (or Touring, not sure).
What an incredibly useful vehicle. Easy to drive. Enough power. Everything fits, including the new washdisher I installed.
Legendary Honda quality.

Call me impressed. I liked it so much I had to wash it.

I have 2015 Sienna. Extremely useful vehicle. It has mediocre (at best) assembly quality, brakes are horrid, and warming up the interior during winter is the task on par launching Space Shuttle (when I park at the airport to go somewhere with family in winter, I make sure I have enough blankets for kids inside as it ain't gonna start warming up until somewhere halfway home). But it is a useful vehicle. It is extremely practical, and has AWD.
But, I really do not want to ever again buy something like this, Sienna, Odyssey, whatever. So, when I read the news about the new Sienna I was like: ha, good luck.

I have 2015 Sienna. Extremely useful vehicle. It has mediocre (at best) assembly quality, brakes are horrid, and warming up the interior during winter is the task on par launching Space Shuttle (when I park at the airport to go somewhere with family in winter, I make sure I have enough blankets for kids inside as it ain't gonna start warming up until somewhere halfway home). But it is a useful vehicle. It is extremely practical, and has AWD.
But, I really do not want to ever again buy something like this, Sienna, Odyssey, whatever. So, when I read the news about the new Sienna I was like: ha, good luck.
Our friends bought their sienna in 2015 around the same time we bought our odyssey.

I lost count of how many times it has been in the shop for failed components, leaks, etc. Frankly I was incredibly surprised. It took a decade and nearly 200k miles for anything on our Previa to fail (radiator). Our odyssey could have faster responding infotainment, but the only dealer trip it has had was due to stripped crossbar bolts on the roof rack. Hardly a real issue.

Hope the sienna proves to be more reliable than I understand it to be.

Last edited:
Venza hybrid only
Sienna hybrid only

Hybrid available Highlander, Camry, Avalon, Rav4, Corolla

RAV4 available in 'Prime'

How many more upgrades/updates before the entire product line is hybrid only?

Toyota needs to Prime the entire fleet and soon.

Back