ATF double benefit????

I just changed my PS fluid feeder and return hose because of a slow leak. I vaguely remember my 17+ year MASTER Toyota mechanic once told me to just to dump Dexron/Mercon in the power steering resevoir instead of pouring fluid specifically labeled for power steering. What makes the ATF properties so similar to it? Is there a downside to this???
Thanks.

It's likely that Dexron III is actually the "correct" power steering fluid for your Toyota...

My lady's 98 Camry is specd for Dexron III for the power steering fluid..

Last edited:
Most ATF's can be used in power Steering units except for the Honda PS fluids.

However, do not put specific fluids labeled as Power Steering fluids into an automatic transmission because of the different additive components.

Use to be most steering fluids were just ATF without the color, friction modifiers, and maybe some other stuff. Basically a very basic and cheap hydraulic fluid.

I prefer ATF as its easier to find and seems to quite some steering systems better.

Originally Posted by Jarpin
I just changed my PS fluid feeder and return hose because of a slow leak. I vaguely remember my 17+ year MASTER Toyota mechanic once told me to just to dump Dexron/Mercon in the power steering resevoir instead of pouring fluid specifically labeled for power steering. What makes the ATF properties so similar to it? Is there a downside to this???
Thanks.

As long as the seals are compatible with ATF there's no problem. However, PS fluid is superior for cold weather performance (never an issue in Texas) and systems which spec PS fluid may have seal issues if ATF is used in its place. A lot of older German makes spec'd Pentosin PS fluid (ex, CH11s, CH7.1) for their steering and suspension systems.

Last edited:
SIMPLY HAVE TO ADD THIS

Someone opened the hood of my neighbor's 2010 Honda Accord 4 cyl. and BRIMMED the PS reservoir.

The steering was making noise when I got the car 5 days ago for a round of routine maintenance.

Completely TBSed (Turkey Baster Sucked) the reservoir and filled to split the MIN and MAX marks with new Honda fluid.

Back to normal.

Originally Posted by Kira

Completely TBSed (Turkey Baster Sucked) the reservoir and filled to split the MIN and MAX marks with new Honda fluid.

Totally man! I've done that before too. Turkey baster works! If you can find one at a medical supply store, you could also use a 60ml syringe to aspirate with a piece of windshield washer hose.

Thanks guys, I just ended up putting in some leftover Mercon V fluid to refill the reservoir. I'm hoping any remaining PS fluid blends properly with the new ATF. Seems to drive ok.

Back