Store fuel stabilized vehicle for 2 yrs? 2015 Caravan 3.6

Our family has a 2015 Dodge Caravan which was put in storage in Nov 2019. The fuel was properly stabilized at that time. With Covid, it is not anticipated that this vehicle is needed until maybe 2021, so could be roughly 1.5 to 2 years from storage time.

I can't seem to find consistent advice online on what the maximum time frame is for the shelf life of stabilized gasoline. Especially now that regular fuel has ethanol which could affect things.

What do you guys think? Is up to 2 years an ok time to let this vehicle sit? I have prepped all the other systems so am mostly concerned about the fuel.

If the tank is full and you used something like Sta-bil (the red kind) that says it can stabilize fuel for up to 2 years it's probably fine. Can you access the vehicle?

Could you siphon most of it out and use it up in a daily driver? That, or drive it for a week or two, if it has tabs/insurance on it.

Originally Posted by nobb

What do you guys think? Is up to 2 years an ok time to let this vehicle sit?

Yes. I have stored numerous vehicles through the years. I have always used a 2X dose of Stabil just as their directions say. Did you use a 1X or 2X dose? If you used a 1X dose, that covers you for a full year, and 2X lasts for 2 years.

You could still add another dose of Stabil and flush it down with a gallon of fresh gas, although that would not get the stabilized gas up into the engine unless its started and ran again.

I stored tractors with fuel and sta-bil in it for a few years , never had any problems..i would think the vehicle would be ok

I think the fuel will be fine. I'd remove the battery and take appropriate steps to keep rodents away.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by nobb

What do you guys think? Is up to 2 years an ok time to let this vehicle sit?

Yes. I have stored numerous vehicles through the years. I have always used a 2X dose of Stabil just as their directions say. Did you use a 1X or 2X dose? If you used a 1X dose, that covers you for a full year, and 2X lasts for 2 years.

You could still add another dose of Stabil and flush it down with a gallon of fresh gas, although that would not get the stabilized gas up into the engine unless its started and ran again.

+1

Use Sta-Bil red at 2X dose which is 2 oz per 2.5 U.S. gallons. Flush it into the tank with a gallon or so, and it run the engine some to circulate it up to the engine. If you move the vehicle some it would help mix the new dose in the tank.

Back