eBay > Amazon

Ordering stuff for my new truck.

Ebay gives a time estimate and beats it, often using the US Mail.

Amazon gives one and fails to reach it.

I don't want to hear about "they're prioritizing for medical supplies." They mention this and have the logistics to know when they'll work out and when they'll fail, and can give an honest estimate on non-life-critical stuff.

This might be like that time Eastern Airlines' computers froze up and stranded everyone on Spring Break.

Although I'm sure Amazon is making money hand over fist, I wouldn't want to own their stock long-term, as there are going to be some cross customers finding other vendors.

/rant

I've noticed similar lately--I've been piddling around, buying various electronic gizmos for side projects, and Ebay gives week. Not that I care too much but at the moment Ebay seems to be pulling ahead.

I'm sure in a month or whatever this will all change--just like when Amazon came on the scene and gave free 2 day shipping to everyone...

Amazon is using this situation to excuse poor service. They have been getting worse in recent years and this is just more of the same. I have placed orders that were suppose to be here in 7 days and after 10 days they have not shipped. When I do order from them I try and find a vendor that ships direct instead of through Amazon and they always beat the Amazon estimate.

Don't forget that we are in a pandemic. Store shopping is limited and alot of out of stock situations. Online shopping has soared to out of control levels the past 2 months. Slow delivery is to be expected.

Don

Originally Posted by eljefino
Ordering stuff for my new truck.....

.....I don't want to hear about "they're prioritizing for medical supplies."

Umm... OK.
Just vote with your wallet then.
Shopping somewhere else is the absolute best way to send them your message.

Not ranting on an internet motor oil bulletin board.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Ordering stuff for my new truck.....

.....I don't want to hear about "they're prioritizing for medical supplies."

Umm... OK.
Just vote with your wallet then.
Shopping somewhere else is the absolute best way to send them your message.

Not ranting on an internet motor oil bulletin board.

Bit of a killjoy this evening, eh?

We still have prime. I like the prime music, but the prime shipping has gone from bad to worse.

I have bought about 10-15 widgets on ebay this quarantine, and only a couple things on amazon.

Ebay has an interesting system, if you buy one of their "guaranteed by" items, and it arrives late, they give you a $5 voucher to use on something else on ebay.

I started looking for those items and purchasing them over other items not guaranteed.

I got $25 in credits so far this month from ebay.

I bought a bunch of stuff for my wife's car, amazon would not ship any car parts in a timely manner.

I thought of cancelling prime, but usually its too convenient to just send a family member a gift and have them wrap it, and have it arrive next day.

We have Prime, and it is good for some stuff.

Interesting part is I am finding better stuff now on EBay though.......

I've had the opposite experience from Ebay/USPS lately. 3 packages have been "in the system" for nearly a month now. Last scan on them was weeks ago. All 3 from different states.

Ordering stuff for my new truck.

Ebay gives a time estimate and beats it, often using the US Mail.

Amazon gives one and fails to reach it.

Avoid Realtruck as well. Ordered a tonneau cover for mine, took my money immediately and then nothing for a week. Sent an email asking to cancel my order and issue a refund, still nothing. Gave them a 1 star review from the email they sent asking me to rate them and started a chargeback/dispute with Apple, only then did I get 2 emails, one saying "blah blah blah due to current situations blah blah blah" and a shipping confirmation for next day delivery.

Originally Posted by Greggy_D
I've had the opposite experience from Ebay/USPS lately. 3 packages have been "in the system" for nearly a month now. Last scan on them was weeks ago. All 3 from different states.

I'm having this problem right now with something I ordered from Texas. I'm in California. It left a USPS DC Texas then as stuck on "in transit" for over a week and then it was in CT. And now it's "in transit" again.

That said, one must remember that if you're buying from Amazon and not a third party seller it's completely different from eBay where it's all third party sellers

Amazon has given me excellent spot on delivery on items recently ordered. Bought flea tick meds Friday afternoon and I had them Saturday morning.

Prime has not let me down. Too easy and before and after this shutdown I preferred to pay for the fee for delivery and knowing item is there and is comingZ

How do you compare Amazon to eBay? Amazon is a single entity if you buy from Amazon. eBay is thousands of individual sellers and each one has their own shipping systems.

I'm a big Amazon fan but since lockdown I've been doing a lot of art and painting and the art dedicated websites are half the price of Amazon for a lot of the paints I use.

My garbage disposal sprung a leak yesterday. Had to venture to HomeDepot to buy a new one. $99. Amazon had the same exact unit for $75. Shame that I couldn't wait for delivery.

Amazon has slowed lately. eBay is fulfilled by independent folks the country over.

But Amazon shipping in normal times is generally only a day, and even now there is stuff we can get by next day before 8am.

eBay stuff is always many days to delivery. Nature of the beast. But it is accurate, not that I've ever had accuracy issues with Amazon.

I suspect that there really are some products in shorter supply right now, so which combo of items you include in the order can cause a shipping delay, and warehouse issues, and shipping issues, but that also they "might' be taking an opportunity to ship things a slower, cheaper method.

My last ebay order arrived regular USPS in about a week. My last order from Amazon arrived FedEx but took about a month, BUT they did estimate that month at time of purchase and I wasn't in a hurry at the time so I accepted that, They did deliver it within their estimate, but very suspiciously, almost to the day like they deliberately sat on the order, not coinciding with a warehouse reopening or anything.

You can't make heads or tails of ebay though, since it is millions of individual merchants with their own time tables for getting things done. At least some of them have put a notice on their listings that they are away so orders are delayed.

Last edited:
Used to have prime.
Been using eBay the past 2 years. Never an issue, but I normally scope out sellers longevity and feedback prior to purchase.

Most people I know who have had issues with eBay failed to scope out one or both of those.

Id honestly rather support independent dealers on eBay and not Amazons attempt at world domination

I had prime several years ago for a year or 2.
I don;t like how now, they add it to your order twice( free 30 day trial), and you have to delete it twice before clicking place order, and one also has to make sure that one clicks the free shipping option , as they will try and charge you for expedited shipping once one opts out of the free 30 day prime trial.

I've been buying a lot more stuff on Ebay, from US and Asian vendors. Most US sellers the items ship the next day and arrive within 3 or 4. No 25$ minimum to get free shipping, and often more selection and better prices on Ebay. Not always of course. I found some 3m feathering disc adhesive on Amazon 6$ cheaper than Ebay, and ordered 6$ of another product to get free shipping, and got a shipping notification within hours.

One strange event is the brushes on my dremel recently wore out. I did not log into my Amazon account, but shopped for them on both amazon and Ebay. I later found some brushes for some unknown power tool in my spare parts bin, and filed them to size to fit the dremel and got it fully functional, but wanted actual dremel brushes. No hurry anymore, I ordered a set of 3 brushes from Ebay for 10$, a Thailand based seller, estimated delivery 3 to 4 weeks.

The next day a package from Amazon arrives in a prime envelope. 3 pairs of brushes and a hand scissored note saying ' A gift from Amazon' or something to that effect.

I had NOT signed into my Amazon account when I searched for dremel brushes, and use Ccleaner before and after every internet session. and ordered the brushes from Thailand through Ebay., and got a notice the same day from Ebay that the brushes arrived, that the brushes shipped from Thailand, but 'no tracking # available.
BUt 6 weeks have gone by since, and no brushes from Thailand have arrived, not that I need them anymore.

I've some other ebay Asia originated orders that seem to be running late by a week or 3, but they are not something I needed immediately or I would have paid more for a US based seller.
Almost every thing bought from a US based seller on Ebay ships quickly, but I have to sign into Ebay to get the tracking number.

I used to wish Amazon had what i wanted, rather than have to go through Ebay, but now I check Ebay first, then Amazon, then variations on the search terms of both vendors. I get annoyed when searching Amazon bookmarking a link coming back a day or 3 later to order it to find the price jumped. I got through my neighbors Wifi and the price is the same as 3 days prior. This has occurred more than twice. and has soured me on Amazon

Same happens when shopping plane tickets via the airline sites or travel sites. Find a good price, wait a day or two, come back and prices jump 30 to 50$. Try same search through another Wifi's IP address and that 30 to 50$ increase is gone.

MF'ers

Back