2015 Jeep GC EcoDiesel Oil

I will service a friend's 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 EcoDiesel.
I am under the impression Shell Rotella T synthetic 15w40 is the recommend oil.
This is an early build with the 8 quart oil pan. The later ones used the 10 quart pan.
I think 5w40 was originally spec'ed but they switched to the heavier 15w.

Please offer your thoughts.
Thanks in advance.

This is the one wit the $75 Mopar cartridge filter.... Sheesh!
Luckily there are aftermarket filters.

Good opportunity to contact HPL and get their fleet appropriate oil for this use.

Originally Posted by meadows
Oil that meets FCA MS-10902 and SN. The new 2020 requires FCA MS-12991 and SN, about page 65, like Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40.

Vehicle has DPF and PP Euro 5W40 is full SAPS oil which makes it not compatible with DPF.
Motul X-Clean would be good fit or other heavier 5W40 C3 oils.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I will service a friend's 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 EcoDiesel.
I am under the impression Shell Rotella T synthetic 15w40 is the recommend oil.
This is an early build with the 8 quart oil pan. The later ones used the 10 quart pan.
I think 5w40 was originally spec'ed but they switched to the heavier 15w.

Please offer your thoughts.
Thanks in advance.

This is the one wit the $75 Mopar cartridge filter.... Sheesh!
Luckily there are aftermarket filters.

It is your friends vehicle, just use Rotella 5W40.

Originally Posted by Bighorn2500
+1 T6 5w40

If it was my cehicle I would run Motul X-Cess 5W40 or Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W40.
But someone else's vehicle? Just stick to what FCA recommends, which does not make any sense.

I have a 2015 JGC Ecodiesel.

There was a TSB 18-078-16 that changed the spec from 5w30 to 5w40. The TSB specifically mentions Rotella T6 syn 5w40.
They issued a revision to owners manual for earlier models.

I changed to this @50k miles; @110k miles now, still doesn't use oil.

Note: it takes a little while for the oil to drain out of the filter housing so, expect an extra 20 min or so drain.

Originally Posted by 390pi

There was a TSB 18-078-16 that changed the spec from 5w30 to 5w40. The TSB specifically mentions Rotella T6 syn 5w40.

Note: it takes a little while for the oil to drain out of the filter housing so, expect an extra 20 min or so drain.

Yes, and T6 is band aid to larger issue.
That engine is originally designed around C3 oils as all JTD Fiat engines are after 2004.
T6 s recommended due to accessibility. However, Motul X-Cess 5W40 and Castrol Edge Turbo DIesel 5W40 are similar thickness as T6 but also C3 oils and more DPF friendly.

Originally Posted by edyvw

That engine is originally designed around C3 oils as all JTD Fiat engines are after 2004.
T6 s recommended due to accessibility. However, Motul X-Cess 5W40 and Castrol Edge Turbo DIesel 5W40 are similar thickness as T6 but also C3 oils and more DPF friendly.

Delo 600 ADF in 15w40 or 10w30 would be great too omce is widely available. I know I'll be running it when I can find it.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch

Delo 600 ADF in 15w40 or 10w30 would be great too omce is widely available. I know I'll be running it when I can find it.

Regarding availability of that Delo 600 ADF> Check with a Chevron distributor near you. Mine said both 10W30 and 15W40 are now available for $22/gallon in a 3 gallon case.

That will be my "go to" oil after I run through the Dexos2 motor oil in my garage, that is used for a 2016 2.8L Diesel Colorado.

Hi Edyvw
I will admit that my understanding of lubricating oils is limited but I do find Jeeps' logic baffling.

The 3.0 ecodiesel has bearing issues so they went for a 5w/40 but dropped the c3 specification in favour of a CJ-4 in America. This equates to E9 in Europe I think. E9 in 5w/40 is very difficult to find in UK so Jeep uses a A3/B4 here. https://extranetpli-eu.pli-petronas.com/dsp/pdf/eng/scat/1092_scat_eng.pdf

I get the impression Jeep sort of thought 'oh crap, what can we use in UK'? Does that make sense?

Why didn't they just go for a C3 5w/40? Any ideas? 5w/40 C3 Oils are plentiful in UK and Europe.

Are they sacrificing DPF life to just find a 'fix' for the bearing issue?

Originally Posted by Tikka

Hi Edyvw
I will admit that my understanding of lubricating oils is limited but I do find Jeeps' logic baffling.

The 3.0 ecodiesel has bearing issues so they went for a 5w/40 but dropped the c3 specification in favour of a CJ-4 in America. This equates to E9 in Europe I think. E9 in 5w/40 is very difficult to find in UK so Jeep uses a A3/B4 here. https://extranetpli-eu.pli-petronas.com/dsp/pdf/eng/scat/1092_scat_eng.pdf

I get the impression Jeep sort of thought 'oh crap, what can we use in UK'? Does that make sense?

Why didn't they just go for a C3 5w/40? Any ideas? 5w/40 C3 Oils are plentiful in UK and Europe.

Are they sacrificing DPF life to just find a 'fix' for the bearing issue?

Yeah, they are sacrificing DPF. Basically their thinking is that premature failure of DPF will happen when most people changed vehicle or will think that it is that time. Probably they are going for more Zinc in oil. However, bottom line is that it is engineering issue, and they did not want to address it properly, but put band aid to it and kick the can down the road to consumer. However, owners should know that DPF is expensive toy. If I owned this engine I would make sure to find some really stout C3 5W40 oil. New Motul X-Clean Gen2 looks really stout with excellent HTHS: https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/8100-x-clean-gen2-5w-40

...or/and they did not want to sacrifice miles from the OCI.Either way ,C3 229.51 5w-40 with a reasonable OCI or even E6 228.51 10w-40 (if the climate allows it) is a better idea than a full-SAPS 5w-40.

Originally Posted by Rollins
...or/and they did not want to sacrifice miles from the OCI.Either way ,C3 229.51 5w-40 with a reasonable OCI or even E6 228.51 10w-40 (if the climate allows it) is a better idea than a full-SAPS 5w-40.

That is irrelevant when it comes to DPF pollution. They sacrificed DPF in order to band aid engineering problem. Plethora of C3 oils that can easily do same OCI as T6.

Why is 5w40 Rotella okay for the Cummins 6.7 w/ DPF in the Ram 2500/3500/4500?
15w40 was approved prior to 2019.

Are heavy duty DPFs less susceptible to perm damage from non low-SAPS oil than the light duty DPFs?

Back